Summer Tokyo 2021 Basketball Thread - August 7 When We Got Bronze

Will Australia win a medal in the mens and womens tournament?

• Men yes women yes

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Men yes women no

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Men no women yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Men no women no

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Next up on the playlist in that clip above ... Love to have a beer with Duncan Patrick. I love me some Slim Dusty and can tell his songs in 1 second.

So I grow up a Giants fan and the Giants and Magic hated each other and the Magic were coached by Goorjian. The Goorjian of the 90s was brash, rude and arrogant if you asked any Giants or Tigers fan. The Giants and Tigers respected each other but te Magic were like Collingwood and hated by both and they hated us.

My favourite players growing up were Pat Reidy and D Mac. When the unthinkable happened and the Giants and Magic merged and Goorjian didn't take Pat Reidy the heart and soul of the Giants so many Giants fans myself included were left without a team and hating Goorjian even more.

The Goorjian of 2021 is a totally different man and despite hating him in the 90s I like the Goorjian of 2021 especially after hearing him interviewed yesterday.

So I grow up a Giants fan and the Giants and Magic hated each other and the Magic were coached by Goorjian. The Goorjian of the 90s was brash, rude and arrogant if you asked any Giants or Tigers fan. The Giants and Tigers respected each other but te Magic were like Collingwood and hated by both and they hated us.

My favourite players growing up were Pat Reidy and D Mac. When the unthinkable happened and the Giants and Magic merged and Goorjian didn't take Pat Reidy the heart and soul of the Giants so many Giants fans myself included were left without a team and hating Goorjian even more.

The Goorjian of 2021 is a totally different man and despite hating him in the 90s I like the Goorjian of 2021 especially after hearing him interviewed yesterday.
The merge that he wanted was D-Mac plus Magic players

Still remember a pre-season game in the 90s, Knox stadium in Boronia between the Magic and Tigers - both benches cleared, one of the biggest brawls I've ever seen in basketball to this day, Goorj ejected. In a pre-season game :tearsofjoy:

There was some genuine feeling and hatred for sure, it was awesome.

Last edited:
Off topic - but did anybody watch the 2 parter on Luc Longley on Australian Story with part 2 on last night? I think Longley was a Boomers' assistant coach until late in 2019, and was contracted up until Tokyo originally finished in August 2020. There might have been a falling out somewhere, but it wasn't raised.

Great doco and makes up for the BS that the producer/director of The Last Dance couldn't even insert 5 or 10 minutes of a zoom/skype interview with him into over 10 hours of the doco. MJ, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, Phil Jackson and others all made significant contributions.

I did get a laugh when he said it got so crazy when he was playing for Chicago, that for 2 years he would book into hotels and restaurants as Norman Gunston to avoid being hassled.

Off topic - but did anybody watch the 2 parter on Luc Longley on Australian Story with part 2 on last night? I think Longley was a Boomers' assistant coach until late in 2019, and was contracted up until Tokyo originally finished in August 2020. There might have been a falling out somewhere, but it wasn't raised.

Great doco and makes up for the BS that the producer/director of The Last Dance couldn't even insert 5 or 10 minutes of a zoom/skype interview with him into over 10 hours of the doco. MJ, Scottie Pippen, Steve Kerr, Phil Jackson and others all made significant contributions.

I did get a laugh when he said it got so crazy when he was playing for Chicago, that for 2 years he would book into hotels and restaurants as Norman Gunston to avoid being hassled.

They're worth a watch, he seems like a real humble guy. Both available on YouTube as well. Pretty impressive that they managed to get MJ to give as much as he did for them as well.

Part 1:

Part 2:

I think he spent that time in 2020 to get his ankle fused which would have removed him from coaching (and basically everything) whilst laid up. I was really pleased to watch them give him the time (particularly MJ). Growing up in the nineties, Aussie basketball fans lived the success of Longley at the Bulls and the Last Dance felt emptier because of his absence. This put it right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matisse just uploaded Ep 4 of his vlog.

Such an amazing culture and is great to see our future is in good hands with Thybulle, Green and Reath showing their talents :D

That arrival to Tokyo was insane. 11 hr flight then another 11+ hours to get to the village at 3am. Wake up the next morning with jetlag and probably have 100s of other athletes to meet

I have it bookmarked along with the bronze medal match to watch later today but not until I get off my butt and wash this mountain of dishes.

More Goorjian goodness (35 min interview with Liam Santamaria). Soak it up.

Back