Summer Tokyo 2021 Basketball Thread - August 7 When We Got Bronze

Will Australia win a medal in the mens and womens tournament?

• Men yes women yes

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Men yes women no

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • Men no women yes

Votes: 11 13.1%
  • Men no women no

Votes: 11 13.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well done lads. Great to finally make a podium.

Anybody know where online I can watch the watch or grab a torrent?
Should be this

Luka is young and will be back in 2024 and beyond. But he will want to forget the bronze medal game. 7/20 FGA, 3/13 3PA, 8 TO. Youch.

Fantastic effort to carry Slovenia to seconds away from the gold medal game after they had never even qualified for a past Games. Prior to the semi I think his international record was 17-0.

Our of those two you take 'Tisse 10 times out of 10. I've been screaming this out from the rooftops and after this Olympics people finally see why.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Same!! People who wanted Cotton had no idea. Thybulle was the difference in us getting a medal.

Should be this
Ahhh crap. Watching again now in background while I work, as watched the first 3 quarters without commentary on the night, and it turns out the commentary is the yank, not Gaze and Bogut. Anyone found the stream with the Aussie commentary?

Should be this

Yeah, watched it again last night, although not sure how long it'll be there for now the Olympics has finished - get on it peeps. Patty was even better than I thought when watching live, thank christ our greatest ever olympian actually has a medal now :tearsofjoy:

I gotta give channnel 7 some props here - their free to air coverage was as average as you'd expect, cutting away a missing starts/ends of quarters, but 7plus was really good. Only downside no Gazey commentary as people have noted, but it was awesome to have access to guaranteed full games and replays, across pretty much all sports too. In addition to basketball, watched a fair bit rock climbing, handball, hockey etc all on 7plus over the journey. Oh and beach volleyball of course :p

Last edited:
Luka is young and will be back in 2024 and beyond. But he will want to forget the bronze medal game. 7/20 FGA, 3/13 3PA, 8 TO. Youch.

Fantastic effort to carry Slovenia to seconds away from the gold medal game after they had never even qualified for a past Games. Prior to the semi I think his international record was 17-0.

Had a few sooks during the bronze medal game to be sure, but at least the guy cares and wants to win for his country. We clearly won the mental battle against him, but the kid is 22 which is mind boggling, ya gotta cut him a bit of slack I reckon.

He'll learn from that experience and get better. Absolute freak, will carry Slovenia to a medal Patty Mills-style at some stage over the next 12 years.

Luc Longley in an interview also gave a shout out to the NBL and its players for the qualifying (Norton, Caddee, Blanchfield, McCarron, Hodgeson, etc).

Important to remember they're the guys that get us through all the qualifying rounds for tournaments, and the teams usually entirely NBL guys. Without them we'd end up like powerhouses like Serbia and Canada who should be medal contenders but failed to even qualify.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a few sooks during the bronze medal game to be sure, but at least the guy cares and wants to win for his country. We clearly won the mental battle against him, but the kid is 22 which is mind boggling, ya gotta cut him a bit of slack I reckon.

He'll learn from that experience and get better. Absolute freak, will carry Slovenia to a medal Patty Mills-style at some stage over the next 12 years.
He clearly appeared to be hampered by his wrist/arm, not that it would have definitely made a difference if he was fit, but think that's what a lot of the frustration was about.

Yeah, watched it again last night, although not sure how long it'll be there for now the Olympics has finished - get on it peeps. Patty was even better than I thought when watching live, thank christ our greatest ever olympian actually has a medal now :tearsofjoy:

I gotta give channnel 7 some props here - their free to air coverage was as average as you'd expect, cutting away a missing starts/ends of quarters, but 7plus was really good. Only downside no Gazey commentary as people have noted, but it was awesome to have access to guaranteed full games and replays, across pretty much all sports too. In addition to basketball, watched a fair bit rock climbing, handball, hockey etc all on 7plus over the journey. Oh and beach volleyball or course :p

the app was great allowing watching of any sport live. However i did not see an ability to rewind at all. ALso, i know some had issues finding a specific event to watch. It was clunky in this regard.

Important to remember they're the guys that get us through all the qualifying rounds for tournaments, and the teams usually entirely NBL guys. Without them we'd end up like powerhouses like Serbia and Canada who should be medal contenders but failed to even qualify.

So youre saying with NBL players, we'd be playing state league players and therefore not qualifying?

Do serbia and canada use provincial league players?

So youre saying with NBL players, we'd be playing state league players and therefore not qualifying?

Serbia didn't qualify because Jokic didn't play against Italy, they lost by 7 as a result.

Canada didnt qualify because they lost to the Czech Republic by 2, with their NBA players playing.

Yeah sort of, and think it's basically him just saying kudos to the NBL guys for getting the job done when required to get us through. Teams like Serbia/Canada/NZ/Lithuania/Philippines are all proud basketball countries who I'm assuming play their NBL equivalent guys but failed to qualify when they don't have their top team and players

Fun fact though; We actually had some sort qualifying game last year against NZ (I think maybe for the Asia cup or next world cup?) And it was during the NBL season so both countries basically played a bunch of u20 guys and state league players.

Last edited:
He clearly appeared to be hampered by his wrist/arm, not that it would have definitely made a difference if he was fit, but think that's what a lot of the frustration was about.

Also shows how much he cares. I'd much rather see someone mouthing obscenities after they've lost rather than walking off the field/court/pitch smiling and giggling, especially when playing for their country. He'll be the best player in the world in a couple of years, though there are plenty of more knowledgeable judges of basketball than I who think he may already be there.

Serbia didn't qualify because Jokic didn't play against Italy, they lost by 7 as a result.

Canada didnt qualify because they lost to the Czech Republic by 2, with their NBA players playing.
Yeah sort of, and think it's basically him just saying kudos to the NBL guys for getting the job done when required to get us through. Teams like Serbia/Canada/NZ/Lithuania/Philippines are all proud basketball countries who I'm assuming play their NBL equivalent guys but failed to qualify when they don't have their top team and players

Fun fact though; We actually had some sort qualifying game last year against NZ (I think maybe for the Asia cup or next world cup?) And it was during the NBL season so both countries basically played a bunch of u20 guys and state league players.

As Happy M said, canada had nba players and didnt qualify.

I think its bittersweet for the NBL players (aside from goulding, kay who arguably would still make it). They play their arses off in the qualifying and get pats on the back for reward. It is what it is i guess

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! Boy he speaks well, articulate, mature and wise. Really like this guy.

Well said mate. Can really tell its from the heart. I think NBA players and college even, speak very well.
It baffles mind when listening to footy players speak, even older vets sometimes. Cliches and little substance

For those that didn't hear it this morning, or if you want to hear it again, I recommend you find 22 minutes and have a good listen to Whateley interview Brian Goorjian. It was a brilliant interview and nicely filed some of that usual post Olympic void.

If you only have 4 minutes have a listen to the section of the interview where Goorjian explains what he and the others did after losing to the USA, to make sure they beat Slovenia to get that bronze medal.

For those that didn't hear it this morning, or if you want to hear it again, I recommend you find 22 minutes and have a good listen to Whateley interview Brian Goorjian. It was a brilliant interview and nicely filed some of that usual post Olympic void.

If you only have 4 minutes have a listen to the section of the interview where Goorjian explains what he and the others did after losing to the USA, to make sure they beat Slovenia to get that bronze medal.

Thanks for that - was excellent.

Back