Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Wasn't sure where to put this, so just gonna put it here...

What do people think of Nedd Brockman? He is the running influencer that ran across Australia 2 years ago to raise money for the homeless. It was a great cause and a remarkable effort, but obviously Nedd has personally done well out of this since with his social influencer status (sponsors, speaking gigs, podcasts etc).

He just announced his new endeavour (which I'm surprised is running, as he said he wanted to not just be known as a runner...), which is to run 1000 miles in 10 days to break a world record set 36 years ago and raise $10M for the homeless. A few long distance running people in the comments are sceptical that this is achievable, especially with the publicly available data on Nedd's running times. They think he is just using the world record for promotion leading up to the event to help raise money, but also continue to build his social profile... while deep down knowing it's very very unlikely that he breaks the WR.

I've always been a bit on the fence with him since the run. It seems like he does genuinely enjoy raising money for the homeless, but I also think he equally likes the fame and social/financial benefits that come with it. So is this run purely about raising money for a charity, or is it to continue growing his profile (which comes with financial benefits), sell more of his book and remain relevant in those 'celebrity' social circles?

Its also that we do this every 3 months without fail, its almost always about Taylor Swift too.

Not all music is for you (although Taylor in particular has about 85% of the world population as fans at this point) its just really, really boring.

I dont like PLENTY of extremely popular music from before my time, i dont like plenty of music from my time and i dont like plenty of music from now, its not revelatory is it.
(although Taylor in particular has about 85% of the world population as fans at this point)

LMAO,calling bullshit on this one.
I don't think there are 6.88 billion people who are Taylor fans.
Absurd claim.

Yeah, I mean we’ve never lived in a time where music is more easily accessible.
Yes and no. I was chatting about this with a DJ friend the other week.

My main problem is that what is popular is a lot more concentrated and homogenous. Mainstream music is increasingly dominated by a smaller number of artists in a smaller number of genres whose songs spend longer on the charts. I assume it is because everyone listens to music on Spotify and the algorithm just feeds everyone what’s popular so the most successful stuff is increasingly self-amplifying.

For someone like me who no longer attends gigs and just generally don’t have the time to go out and actively research music, the lower level of mainstream diversity makes it less and less likely that I am going to stumble across something new that I like

I know this is partly just a function of me getting old (after all there is a reason that most people’s music taste crystallises on or around what was popular in their 20s) but I do think it’s gotten worse in the last few years

What do people think of Nedd Brockman? He is the running influencer that ran across Australia 2 years ago to raise money for the homeless. It was a great cause and a remarkable effort, but obviously Nedd has personally done well out of this since with his social influencer status (sponsors, speaking gigs, podcasts etc).

He just announced his new endeavour (which I'm surprised is running, as he said he wanted to not just be known as a runner...), which is to run 1000 miles in 10 days to break a world record set 36 years ago and raise $10M for the homeless. A few long distance running people in the comments are sceptical that this is achievable, especially with the publicly available data on Nedd's running times. They think he is just using the world record for promotion leading up to the event to help raise money, but also continue to build his social profile... while deep down knowing it's very very unlikely that he breaks the WR.

I've always been a bit on the fence with him since the run. It seems like he does genuinely enjoy raising money for the homeless, but I also think he equally likes the fame and social/financial benefits that come with it. So is this run purely about raising money for a charity, or is it to continue growing his profile (which comes with financial benefits), sell more of his book and remain relevant in those 'celebrity' social circles?
I consider the net effect will be more money for the homeless so overall it's great. I do wonder if he'll get remotely close to the 1000 mile mark because it's a Bannister-like mountain to climb

I consider the net effect will be more money for the homeless so overall it's great. I do wonder if he'll get remotely close to the 1000 mile mark because it's a Bannister-like mountain to climb
Some of the long distance running 'experts' in the comments mentioned they think 13 days would be more realistic for his running pace.

Food prices at the F1 in Miami. Supposedly each one serves 4 but who the hell would pay these prices? Granted it is in the rich area but I doubt even they would be stupid enough to spend that kind of money.

441335320_10161245678080489_1863194921809556067_n.jpg

Sweet Caroline has become a s**t song like Horses due to bogans

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Controversial opinion.

Sweet Caroline has never done a thing for me.

It is grating on the ears and if I heard it on the radio while doing things, I'd change the station.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its nigh on impossible to be completely altruistic though. What he did was pretty incredible (a couple of teens just finished the same run over the weekend too).

Not having a go at you but broadly the whole "is an influencer doing charity work REALLY doing charity work" thing is a bit of a hiding to nothing. The more famous they are the better the whole thing works but also means people will always question if the thing theyre doing is just for clout.

Ross Edgley is another example of this except id argue hes doing WAY more extreme s**t.

I enjoy following their journeys and im not gonna think too deeply on their motivations cause ultimately its mutually beneficial.

From a few first hand accounts Ned is a cracking bloke too.

Sweet Caroline has been a break tune at the SCG for ages now, since around the time Heeney debuted I think. Eagles also went heavily for Right Here Right Now that grand finalist season. Both recognised sports stadium songs before then.

Australians aren't really communal singers which makes these playing tunes awkward here, trying to recreate what sounds great at British football or rugby grounds just ends up a bit naff here.

Absolutely right. At the Ashes years ago at Adelaide Oval a small band of Aussies tried to start singing a song to rival the Barmy army. About 2 seconds after they started i reckon the whole Army stood up and sang for the next 10 minutes non stop, yeah they got put in their place ha ha

Remove this Banner Ad

Back