Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd just find it more boring if everyone qualifies every statement of opinion. I don't want to have to say 'Post Malone is s**t, but he probably understands music better than I do, note progression etc, plus some people like him so he must have some appeal'. If someone told me Pearl Jam were absolute dross, I'd just be...

The Big Lebowski Dude GIF
I think unless youve got something specific to add then saying "I dont like x music" is pretty boring anyway.

Im not talking about qualifying statements im talking about being dismissive of others likes by loudly declaring people who do like it are dumb. "I dont understand how anyone listens to x" does exactly that.

EG.
"I don't understand how Billie Eilish is popular."
"I don't understand how Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran are so popular either, I could only name maybe one or two of their hits each."

I don't understand how could could be attracted to a bloke (physically), whether you're male or female.

Id argue its an indictment on old people that they dont have the self awareness to remember their old people saying the same thing but do carry on yelling at clouds.
It's interesting scrolling on TikTok now and seeing a lot of teenagers and people in their early 20s romanticizing Limp Bizkit and Slipknot, when they were considered rap-rock/nu-metal dogshit in their day. I like both bands, but it's interesting to see bands that were once used as examples as the downfall of music now seen as "the good old days".

I think unless youve got something specific to add then saying "I dont like x music" is pretty boring anyway.

Im not talking about qualifying statements im talking about being dismissive of others likes by loudly declaring people who do like it are dumb. "I dont understand how anyone listens to x" does exactly that.

EG.
"I don't understand how Taylor Swift and Ed Sheeran are so popular either, I could only name maybe one or two of their hits each."
Have you checked the thread you're in? Seems apt, for mine.

Things in life you just don't understand - Part 5

Must be time to pick on teachers again

I prefer not to punch down!
People continue to be amazed that I somehow avoid music I have no interest in. Was at a school disco yesterday, the kids were dancing to Shiver by Ed Sheeran apparently. My wife was stunned that I hadn't heard it. Reckon I've only heard one his songs. Same with Shake It Off, a colleague insisted I must have heard it several years after it was released. She played it for me and, nope, first time. I mean, I was obviously aware that was the name of her hit but i had just never listened to it.

I’ve heard Shake it Off but don’t really know any of her other songs. Shits me when people think I’m trying to be edgy by pretending not to know an Ed Sheeran song or something, I’m happy to admit if I know it. I have a soft spot for Timberlake I must admit ha ha, more embarrassing really to admit I really like Cannibal Corpse to most people I guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’ve heard Shake it Off but don’t really know any of her other songs. Shits me when people think I’m trying to be edgy by pretending not to know an Ed Sheeran song or something, I’m happy to admit if I know it. I have a soft spot for Timberlake I must admit ha ha, more embarrassing really to admit I really like Cannibal Corpse to most people I guess
Shake it Off is a s**t song (in my opinion!!! put down the pitchforks) but I don't mind her more recent stuff. No coincidence it coincides with her working with Dessner from The National, who I'm a big fan of, or starting to sound a little more like her new friends Lorde and Lana Del Ray. I've never been inclined to seek out Sheeran or Capaldi because they don't seem anything remotely like what I would like, the algorithms don't recommend them and so on.

People continue to be amazed that I somehow avoid music I have no interest in. Was at a school disco yesterday, the kids were dancing to Shiver by Ed Sheeran apparently. My wife was stunned that I hadn't heard it.

Reminds me of a channel on YouTube (Drumeo) where they have drummers come in and they give them a song with the drums removed and have them come up with their own drums for the song. There was a chick on there given Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine and everyone was stunned when she said she didn't know the song. I'm a metal head and I don't know it as I have never been a fan of RATM. The only song by them I know is Killing in the Name Of and that is only because it is ridiculously overplayed. The fact that people can't understand that others might not be into the same music as them so therefore don't know a certain song baffles me.

Reminds me of a channel on YouTube (Drumeo) where they have drummers come in and they give them a song with the drums removed and have them come up with their own drums for the song. There was a chick on there given Bulls on Parade by Rage Against the Machine and everyone was stunned when she said she didn't know the song. I'm a metal head and I don't know it as I have never been a fan of RATM. The only song by them I know is Killing in the Name Of and that is only because it is ridiculously overplayed. The fact that people can't understand that others might not be into the same music as them so therefore don't know a certain song baffles me.
Similar to the ''First Time Hearing'' reviews I see - now granted I am watching Aussie songs from 40 years ago

Only once did I hear someone say ' oh hey I do know this it was in a Teen Movie back in the day' but the substance is there are times I just dont believe some of the reactions

On the general topic I listen to what I listen to - I step out of my lane occasionally but mostly wont bother slamming a person

Try talking to a Tool nuffy. Now I love Tool but they s**t me as well, if someone doesn't like them "oh you just don't get them". Nah they just don't like em!
Best tool is Makita then probably dewalt

It's hard to be a music snob and gay knowing that in the past and quite possibly future as well I've found myself dancing to the Weather Girls or Steps.
I have a steps cd single

Shake it Off is a s**t song (in my opinion!!! put down the pitchforks) but I don't mind her more recent stuff. No coincidence it coincides with her working with Dessner from The National, who I'm a big fan of, or starting to sound a little more like her new friends Lorde and Lana Del Ray. I've never been inclined to seek out Sheeran or Capaldi because they don't seem anything remotely like what I would like, the algorithms don't recommend them and so on.

Shake it Off is the only Taylor Swift hit I know but it has all the lyrical and musical depth of a Wiggles song. maybe she has some other better songs but I'm not aware of them. She doesn't have the big string of hits Madonna had who was the Gen X version.

Ed Sheeran had a couple of decent hits early on with The A Team and Lego House but I couldn't name any of his other songs.

No doubt they both have some talent but I just find it hard to understand why they are so insanely popular compared to other modern day female and male solo artists who I think are better than them in terms of the music they produce.

I think a lot of people just follow the crowd and their concerts are events to be seen at rather than being big fans of their music.

See, I don't get that. Obviously I can acknowledge that he's a handsome man, but like all men he's still uglier than almost all women lol

He's not so handsome in the new Mad Max film, he's uglied up with a big nose and big bushy beard and is barely recognisable.

chris-656b38adc3a35.jpeg

No doubt they both have some talent but I just find it hard to understand why they are so insanely popular compared to other modern day female and male solo artists who I think are better than them in terms of the music they produce.

For Taylor she knows her audience and makes music for them. She knows what sells. Obviously she is not making music aimed at middle aged men.

Shake it Off is the only Taylor Swift hit I know but it has all the lyrical and musical depth of a Wiggles song. maybe she has some other better songs but I'm not aware of them. She doesn't have the big string of hits Madonna had who was the Gen X version.

Ed Sheeran had a couple of decent hits early on with The A Team and Lego House but I couldn't name any of his other songs.

I think a lot of people just follow the crowd and their concerts are events to be seen at rather than being big fans of their music.

He's not so handsome in the new Mad Max film, he's uglied up with a big nose and big bushy beard and is barely recognisable.

chris-656b38adc3a35.jpeg
“I only know one song but I know she’s s**t”.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back