Analysis The SCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Not the ground but how we play. Get a lead and try and defend it doesn't work on a short deck or anywhere really

Yep.

But 5-6 at home
9-2 away

I dunno we play similar everywhere

Maybe it’s a bit like the goal kicking yips and becomes a thing

We are naturally a handballing first side SCG night games are dewy and conditions are greasy.

See the problem? stop playing SCG night games its disadvantaging us.

Yep seems club agree too

So in 2016 the AFL said any final Sydney host will be at SCG, unless its against GWS. Let's see if they stick true to that.

Do. Not. Want. ANZ stadium.

Sorry but I don't see how having day games would help us at all. Yes our skills are shocking at home because of the conditions, but both teams are playing in the same conditions, so we have no excuse.

And skills have nothing to do with our structure and how poorly we set up in contrast to how every other team sets themselves up at the ground.

Sorry but I don't see how having day games would help us at all. Yes our skills are shocking at home because of the conditions, but both teams are playing in the same conditions, so we have no excuse.

And skills have nothing to do with our structure and how poorly we set up in contrast to how every other team sets themselves up at the ground.

I’m not sure the ground is the issue

I’m not sure the ground is the issue

As I said on another thread, we've not played one high quality game at the SCG all year. Then go look at how we played against Melbourne and Hawthorn at the MCG, or against North at Etihad. If they weren't wearing the same jumpers you'd have no idea it's even the same team.

The ground is definitely an issue and why we're losing.

Firstly it's too small for a team whose midfield is inconsistent and not winning enough of the ball, and with a ruckman who's doing his best, but not winning many hit outs.

The ground so small that if your midfield is dominating, it's easier to cram players in the forward 50 and lock it in your area. When you're not winning the ball, the SCG is a nightmare. Teams who are winning the ball have no issues locking in the forward 50 and getting points on the board.

As of right now, we're more suited for a ground like the MCG, where it's so much bigger and has more space to rebound and run the ball when the opposition are hammering us in the hit outs and clearances.

The inconsistency of JPK, Heeney and from slump of Hannebery is the big problem. Last 5 years, we were so good at the SCG because our mids were performing every week, winning the ball and getting the clearances we needed to lock it in our forward 50 and make it impossible for teams to rebound and get the ball out.

The SCG is also very dewy at night and the ball is very slippery. I would argue Melbourne teams are better in the wet, as often it's so cold down there that they're use to the dewy and wet ball. I assume, especially in their consistant 15 degree winters, that they train a lot on the dewy grass. We train during the day at the SCG and Lakeside, and it's mostly at night where the SCG is affected by dew. So most of the time we probably train with a dry ball.

The SCG is basically a battle of your ruckman and midfield, and with our midfield not playing 4 quarters, we fail to win games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't believe we've got to the point where we are blaming the ground... we have been losing here because we have not been first to the ball, had too many injured at the wrong time, not enough contributors or simply weren't good enough on the day (or night).

Nothing at all to do with the ground itself...

I can't believe we've got to the point where we are blaming the ground... we have been losing here because we have not been first to the ball, had too many injured at the wrong time, not enough contributors or simply weren't good enough on the day (or night).

Screenshot_20180827-170721.jpg

I'm not blaming the ground, I'm blaming the way we play the ground.

I'm not blaming the ground, I'm blaming the way we play the ground.
Yeah, well, I'm still disagreeing... it's the way we played, nothing to do with the ground we played on, the size of it or anything else to do with where the occurred.

Yeah, well, I'm still disagreeing... it's the way we played, nothing to do with the ground we played on, the size of it or anything else to do with where the occurred.

Yeah it was the way we played. But we seem to play that way at the SCG with no exceptions

How is it that coaches who don't train there every week and play there every second week seem to know how to play it better than ours?

I have a theory but will let sleeping dogs lie

Lol you might as well share it. Can't be any worse than the rest of the weird crap that's been sprouted on here in recent times (by myself included)

Sounded more exciting when I made it mysterious

I think the scg being smaller means gameplan and strategy is more important

You can’t just Bomb away

We get exposed and punished for poor skills and stupid defensive play

Better gameplans and better coaching can triumph at the scg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back