UK The Queen

Remove this Banner Ad

This thread is actively moderated, let's behave like adults, shall we?

For conversation on an Australian Republic:

Last edited:

Generous words from arch-republican Paul Keating.

But see, here's the thing - when you strip back what Keating is saying, take away all the flowery words, when you ask "but what did she actually do?" - all he's really come up with was: she was a really great hostess.

307649442_10160960630546495_8502942657677346681_n.jpg

Generous words from arch-republican Paul Keating.

But see, here's the thing - when you strip back what Keating is saying, take away all the flowery words, when you ask "but what did she actually do?" - all he's really come up with was: she was a really great hostess.
I think he's also saying she had opportunities to meddle, but kept right the heck out of it.

Which of course doesn't address the question of why the hell we have a foreigner with the presumed power to meddle in our politics in the first place.
No he doesn't. Not directly.

But you just said the queen had the opportunity to meddle.
Yes. And you said Keating doesn't address it. I said he doesn't address it directly. As in, reading between the lines he's saying lots of things. From my POV.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this will be the first of many fights before the self-important idiot gets his way and is allowed to write government policy on something.

I'm not sure that is the case.

Charles spoken at the summit in 2021 and was attending again in 2022, but he's since found himself to be the King. The King acts on the advice of his government, but has reserve powers vested in his person and which he can exercise.

That he accepted the government's advice shouldn't be surprising. By convention, all official overseas visits by members of the royal family are undertaken in accordance with advice from the government. After seeking advice from the government, it was decided that this event in Egypt was not the right occasion to make his first overseas visit as sovereign. The suggestions that he was ordered to stay away are simply not true.

In 2018, Charles said to the BBC. “The idea, somehow, that I’m going to go on in exactly the same way, if I have to succeed, is complete nonsense because the two – the two situations – are completely different.” When specifically asked if his campaigning would continue, he said: “No, it won’t. I’m not that stupid.”

Last edited:
New series of the Crown creates in interesting contrast between Charles and his mum at ascension to the throne. She was crowned a cleanskin at 26 with a deferential press and was able to mold the monarchy around herself. Charles is going to have no such chance, he's an old man more baggage than a 747 and the once toadying press are now relentless in their pursuit of a story. I suspect the absolute last thing he wants at the moment is a fictionalised version of his 1990s that's going to very much remind the public of his first wife or introduce them to a version of what happened back then.

I suspect the absolute last thing he wants at the moment is a fictionalised version of his 1990s that's going to very much remind the public of his first wife or introduce them to a version of what happened back then.

Why would Charles be worried about this? It's clearly largely fictional, a fact backed up by John Major.

Major has publically said a scene that is said to include a conversation between him and Prince Charles, as he was then, about the Queen abdicating, was "a barrel-load of malicious nonsense".

Even Netflix has said the series is "fictional dramatisation".

Remove this Banner Ad

Back