The Perth Thread - Part 4

Remove this Banner Ad

Here I am.

Typing this as I lay in my Melbourne bed.

To the greater Perth, thank you for having me.

To you guys the Perth based BF users, if you either live in or frequent Hillarys Boat Harbour a fair bit, we might've walked past but not known it.

I hadn't heard of the harbour before this trip but I will certainly never forget it.

If I lived there or Sorrento/Duncraig, I'd certainly have spent more hours there than I did in my time there.

It was a 98/100 kind of trip.

Being in as close a proximity as I was, sniffing the saline ocean was something I grew accustomed to and, in the end, it became just another part of my trip.

Hillaries is WAs most visited tourist attraction if my recollection of factoids serves me well.

Glad you had a good trip.

Here I am.

Typing this as I lay in my Melbourne bed.

To the greater Perth, thank you for having me.

To you guys the Perth based BF users, if you either live in or frequent Hillarys Boat Harbour a fair bit, we might've walked past but not known it.

I hadn't heard of the harbour before this trip but I will certainly never forget it.

If I lived there or Sorrento/Duncraig, I'd certainly have spent more hours there than I did in my time there.

It was a 98/100 kind of trip.

Being in as close a proximity as I was, sniffing the saline ocean was something I grew accustomed to and, in the end, it became just another part of my trip.
From memory quite a few of the local residents weren't keen on the Harbour at the time

From memory quite a few of the local residents weren't keen on the Harbour at the time
People didnt want the northbridge tunnel including the current Treasurer and Transport Minister.
Neither the burswood stadium (again looking at you Rita and former Premier). Nor elizabeth quay.

Why?

It’s clearly added something to the area.

It’s something Melbourne should have.

Not sure exactly why but probably a mixture of environmental issues and WA Locals aversion to development along the coast in general

From Wickpedia below.

Hillarys Boat Harbour was the first such major marina in the north metropolitan region of Perth. Construction of the new Harbour commenced in September 1985.[1] Protestors lay down in front of bulldozers to halt early site works.[2] Boat launching facilities were completed in October 1986 and boats started moving into pen moorings two months later, just before the start of the 1987 America's Cup Challenge Series.

As a 6025 local I like the marina but it does have a few issues with anti-social behavior especially over summer.

In saying that, sitting at the breakwater with a nice cold pint on a sunny day is fantastic

Not sure exactly why but probably a mixture of environmental issues and WA Locals aversion to development along the coast in general

From Wickpedia below.

Hillarys Boat Harbour was the first such major marina in the north metropolitan region of Perth. Construction of the new Harbour commenced in September 1985.[1] Protestors lay down in front of bulldozers to halt early site works.[2] Boat launching facilities were completed in October 1986 and boats started moving into pen moorings two months later, just before the start of the 1987 America's Cup Challenge Series.

The new Ocean Reef marina is also attracting protests but that's natural - I'm more surprised when a significant new development is not opposed by locals. People who like the area as is are the ones most motivated to turn up to try and stop changes - the ones who are fine with it don't turn up to the development to support it.

I'm a pretty leftie person, but as long as independent studies are properly conducted to assess environmental, social and economic impacts, I have no issue.

The new Ocean Reef marina is also attracting protests but that's natural - I'm more surprised when a significant new development is not opposed by locals. People who like the area as is are the ones most motivated to turn up to try and stop changes - the ones who are fine with it don't turn up to the development to support it.

I'm a pretty leftie person, but as long as independent studies are properly conducted to assess environmental, social and economic impacts, I have no issue.
My only concern with the Ocean Reef Marina is the proximity to Hillarys Marina and Mindarie Marina.

Basically nothing from Fremantle to Hillarys and then 3 marinas in a relatively short space.

My only concern with the Ocean Reef Marina is the proximity to Hillarys Marina and Mindarie Marina.

Basically nothing from Fremantle to Hillarys and then 3 marinas in a relatively short space.

I suspect it might be environmental issues (maybe less sensitive sea life or beaches) and we also have extensive facilities on that stretch from Scarborough to Freo, just not a marina.

I suspect it might be environmental issues (maybe less sensitive sea life or beaches) and we also have extensive facilities on that stretch from Scarborough to Freo, just not a marina.
Its just that there is no marinas for 30kms between Fremantle and Hillarys but will now be 3 in the 16kms between Hillarys and Mindarie.

It would certainly be difficult building anything from Marmiom to Trigg because of the reef.

Not sure about Scarborough to Fremantle but would have thought not a lot of City Beach, Swanbourne, Cottesloe folk would be wanting to have anything like that in their area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In saying that, sitting at the breakwater with a nice cold pint on a sunny day is fantastic

Being the male equivalent of a basic bitch, the chips from Breakwater were a ripper.

Same as the nearby 3 Sheets margarita pizza.

Its just that there is no marinas for 30kms between Fremantle and Hillarys but will now be 3 in the 16kms between Hillarys and Mindarie.

It would certainly be difficult building anything from Marmiom to Trigg because of the reef.

Not sure about Scarborough to Fremantle but would have thought not a lot of City Beach, Swanbourne, Cottesloe folk would be wanting to have anything like that in their area.

Was suggesting more that with plenty of options when you're kicking back at Scarborough, Cottesloe etc that there is simply no need for a marina to invigorate the area. Even if it might be a bit too trashy and boozy (the former) or high class and expensive (the latter).

Massive line to get into the WWE store in the city, would have tested a lot of peoples patience in the hot weather and the line wasn't moving at all the times I walked past.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back