Resource The Official SFA Match Simulation Process + General Sim Queries Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The admin rostering games has been a thing since at least season 28 when I joined.

Form is just a pretty picture. It has no bearing on actual results.

The sim group is too big nowadays. When I started we had three simmers, a reserve simmer and the admin. Match posters became a thing out of necessity when we experienced a shortage of simmers but this is no longer required as there are plenty of people available who can sim AND post.

Teamsheet deadline should be 3am AEDST/2am AEST/midnight WST.

Checking games goes against one of the most basic tenets of Sweet FA - people love laughing at people for messing things up. The sooner this is done away with, the better. Most errors don't affect the operation of the sim and can be updated using a Find & Replace for stats purposes. The odd error that does affect the sim is found and the game is re-simmed in consultation with the admin.

The admin rostering games has been a thing since at least season 28 when I joined.

Form is just a pretty picture. It has no bearing on actual results.

The sim group is too big nowadays. When I started we had three simmers, a reserve simmer and the admin. Match posters became a thing out of necessity when we experienced a shortage of simmers but this is no longer required as there are plenty of people available who can sim AND post.

Teamsheet deadline should be 3am AEDST/2am AEST/midnight WST.

Checking games goes against one of the most basic tenets of Sweet FA - people love laughing at people for messing things up. The sooner this is done away with, the better. Most errors don't affect the operation of the sim and can be updated using a Find & Replace for stats purposes. The odd error that does affect the sim is found and the game is re-simmed in consultation with the admin.
I agree with you here on every front.

So either you're turning just as insane as I am, or maybe I'm just maturing.

No it's not, as someone who has been in the simmer's pm for quite a few seasons under different admins I've seen the benefits, no one should EVER sim their own team's games. Simmers/games are rotated every week...no one gets to 'pick' which games they sim.
And to expect just one person to input all the sheets, changes, sim games, check mistakes etc every week between Friday and Sunday is unreasonable.

There are 8 people in there, 3 simmers and 3 posters and both admins to share the load properly and keep it very fair and workable, KP also checks every game now before it's posted. I wouldn't be here if I didn't trust the system as it is now...it works very smoothly and doesn't place pressure on volunteers. Hence the sim team is reliable and stable every week.
Is there any mechanism to track when the Sim is being used and by whom?

If not, there is no accountability for the Simmers and no way to check if the game they present to the Admin for checking is the first and only version produced.

Who cares if there is any manipulation of results? If it means so much to someone to make the effort to get into a position where they can influence results, that is just sad.

Don’t like that there is scope for things to be manipulated and we all have to pretend it can’t possibly happen. The prevention of discussion of how/why it may, and how to mitigate the possibility, only creates suspicion.

If not, there is no accountability for the Simmers and no way to check if the game they present to the Admin for checking is the first and only version produced.

Who cares if there is any manipulation of results? If it means so much to someone to make the effort to get into a position where they can influence results, that is just sad.

Don’t like that there is scope for things to be manipulated and we all have to pretend it can’t possibly happen. The prevention of discussion of how/why it may, and how to mitigate the possibility, only creates suspicion.
Nobody is pretending anything, and this thread is actually for discussion and reasonable questions, we’ve never had that before so I’d say there’s more transparency now than ever.
What we won’t do is call volunteers who make sure we get the games simmed every week liars, cheats, etc. Until we have robots simming games we trust the people doing it and the system in place to try to make it very hard to skew results over a season: ie 3 simmers rotating, no one simming their own games, no one choosing which games they sim etc.
I think the majority of people get it’s just a game, and a random computer sim program written long ago on a Kenbak-1 that does weird stuff sometimes.

Last edited:
How many variables are there in a Simmed game?

The obvious ones are:
Club names
Player names

Some there’s have been hinted at during other discussions, would be good to see them all acknowledged.

Honestly tired of Bombers questioning the sim process considering how they've been kissed on the dick by the sim. Most premierships of any qooty team.
And?

If the process is questionable, then it should be questioned.

How many variables are there in a Simmed game?

The obvious ones are:
Club names
Player names

Some there’s have been hinted at during other discussions, would be good to see them all acknowledged.

Literally none of these have any bearing on result, nor are they decided by the simmers.

Weather affects stats, but it's equal for both teams.

Literally none of these have any bearing on result, nor are they decided by the simmers.

Weather affects stats, but it's equal for both teams.
Feel free to list what does then.

Some of it has been revealed or hinted at previously in other discussions, this would be a good place to discuss them.

Feel free to list what does then.

Some of it has been revealed or hinted at previously in other discussions, this would be a good place to discuss them.

Honestly mate, go download the program and have a play around with it yourself, it's really the only way you're going to get a feel for how it works.

simmers literally just input the team names and change as needed and then let the program do the work. It's not that complicated.

Club name and player name is pretty self explanatory, I don't even know why you're questioning that. Location/weather etc is pretty much just cosmetic. Weather (rainy conditions) leads to poorer stats, but has no influence on the end result.

Anyone in the simming/posting group including the admin (and peeps have changed over the years) can see who has simmed what games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sim is freely available for anyone to download and see exactly how it works. There's no secret to it.
The first few posts of this thread are a comprehensive tutorial and explanation.

Last edited:
Anyone in the simming/posting group including the admin (and peeps have changed over the years) can see who has simmed what games.
But not how many times … yeah?

But not how many times … yeah?
True but you can see games where simmers have simmed other teams and results hurt their own team in terms of positioning. I am convinced since I've been part of the simming group it is beyond reproach. Hell we even simmed the Bombers a flag. ;)

Honestly mate, go download the program and have a play around with it yourself, it's really the only way you're going to get a feel for how it works.

simmers literally just input the team names and change as needed and then let the program do the work. It's not that complicated.
Having played with the sim before I became a simmer for a league in the past, I can attest to the fact it's not that complicated to use. Fun little program to play around with when you've nothing better to do.

Having played with the sim before I became a simmer for a league in the past, I can attest to the fact it's not that complicated to use. Fun little program to play around with when you've nothing better to do.
Please don't confuse Jabba73. He's a very simple guy and doesn’t understand your big words like fact and fun.

I like playing with myself!

Um, let me rephrase that...

Srsly, you are inspiring me to make my own little FA on my PC.

I like playing with myself!

Um, let me rephrase that...

Srsly, you are inspiring me to make my own little FA on my PC.
I’ve made my own league on there and had a mess around. It was good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back