Resource The 'not worthy of a thread of its own' thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In 2024 not one Geelong player has gathered 30 possessions in any of our first seven games. Our best possession player is Holmes who is tracking at a modest 23 a game. Thinking back to the 2007-2011 Bomber Thompson era we would usually see two or three mids breach the 30 mark a game. This raises a few obvious questions.

1. Is this by design? Are dominant inside midfielders like we see in Carlton, Melbourne and Brisbane overrated in their impact on the game and that role has been deliberately neglected by Scott's setup?

2. Do we simply not have any good midfielders?

3. Is this a statistical anomaly that will rectify itself as the station plays out?

4. Does Geelong rotate players through the"hotspots" more than other teams?

Interested in your thoughts and theories.

1 & 4

We're not reliant on a couple of key mids to do the heavy lifting, surrounded by the supporting acts

Instead we're seeing a buy in from all where we rotate more heavily through the midfield than we see with other teams, and we've had diff players step up each match & lead the way

That's not to say we won't see a change of plans as we get deeper into the season, but I think it's great we're not reliant the same few players each week and instead there's something of an unknown around our midfield group. It makes it harder for the opposition as to how to plan to counter what we're doing

On the surface a pretty long back and forth between a Bluebagger nuffie and a Tigs fan.
Until this nugget.....

Jack Martin over Ollie Henry and Saad gets in our backline somehow...

On the surface a pretty long back and forth between a Bluebagger nuffie and a Tigs fan.
Until this nugget.....

Jack Martin over Ollie Henry and Saad gets in our backline somehow...

From their injury list, Cerra would walk into our side.

McGovern wouldn't.

We'd find room for one of Doch and Saad at the expense of Tuohy, but the other would be redundant with us having Holmes/Duncan.

The rest of their missing defenders and forwards wouldn't get a game.

McGovern wouldn't.

We'd find room for one of Doch and Saad at the expense of Tuohy, but the other would be redundant with us having Holmes/Duncan.

Tuohy over Saad. Runner who can't defend.
Overrated to hell.

McGovern wouldn't.

Our VFL team could always use with some senior experience 😉

It really deserves its own thread but here's good enough too... thanks BlakeyNoFlakey for the original link...

Treat yourself boys and girls....

GO Catters

So Ports injury toll tonight is getting savage, we have them next week. They might be without Rozee, Georgiadis, Bern Jones, SPP. Edit: and Maybe Todd Marshall

Last edited:
I'm heading back to Aus from Canada and I'll be checking out the Cats v Port game at Kardinia. Looking at tickets (money not really a problem) and I can see there are tickets in the 'Carlton Draught Lounge' for 175 a pop. I'll be bringing my sister who has a small baby (still feeding). I couldn't find much info on any websites about this lounge and what it offers. But it does come with seats undercover in the Selwood Stand, which is great.

Does anybody have any extra info on this spot and whether it would be comfy / reasonable etc?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL, Adelaide want Danger back.

If you'd like, we've got "discussion" on tonight's news starting with the following post

1 & 4

We're not reliant on a couple of key mids to do the heavy lifting, surrounded by the supporting acts

Instead we're seeing a buy in from all where we rotate more heavily through the midfield than we see with other teams, and we've had diff players step up each match & lead the way

That's not to say we won't see a change of plans as we get deeper into the season, but I think it's great we're not reliant the same few players each week and instead there's something of an unknown around our midfield group. It makes it harder for the opposition as to how to plan to counter what we're doing
Not to mention helps the list towards the finals in having more legs due to less TOG …well theoretically anyway

Given that I am sure DBAH0 and UnitedWarrior93 will have a good chuckle at this.

Richmond cookers are a different breed.

Exhibit A: Claim is made and UW93 requests proof

Screenshot 2024-05-08 233548.png

Exhibit B: Deranged Tigs nuff nuff provides the "proof"

Screenshot 2024-05-08 233648.png

The impeccable source is one of the many 'Corrupt Football League' conspiracy theory nutters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back