Banter The No Dazzlering Big Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lucky for Starc KKR look like definitely playing finals, so he’ll get a chance to redeem himself somewhat. Not a big fan of him personally, but I’d love to see him justify his contract in a big moment during finals.

Formerly Known As Nostradamus

Was hoping to watch the replay this morning until ABC breakfast news unfortunately spoiled the result for me.

Probably for the best considering what ended up transpiring

Frustrating when big hitters fail to reproduce in finals what they were able to do in the regular season matches

It was a shocking IPL for attacking bowlers to have to bowl in the powerplay. Starc was cannon fodder for most of it, but he just kept rocking up doing his thing, in the hope that he could finally extract some help. Eventually, in important games, he did - and got good batsmen out early. Was it worth the price tag? They won the tournament, so maybe. But I think that Narine was underpaid.

It was a shocking IPL for attacking bowlers to have to bowl in the powerplay. Starc was cannon fodder for most of it, but he just kept rocking up doing his thing, in the hope that he could finally extract some help. Eventually, in important games, he did - and got good batsmen out early. Was it worth the price tag? They won the tournament, so maybe. But I think that Narine was underpaid.
There was a big article in yesterday's Sunday Times about this by the chief cricket writer.
Basically said that bowling in T20 is a mugs game and unless they do something about it no-one will want to bowl in the format.
Can't bowl off the full run - uses up too much time.
Can't bowl even a mm down leg - no ball.
Can't bowl short.
Can't bowl wide of off - no ball.
Small grounds.
Made smaller by putting up a ring of electronic signs.
Made even smaller by a boundary rope placed a long way inside.
Big springy bats.
Fielding restrictions.
Powerplay.
Free hits.

Basically as a bowler it's 'here's a nice medium pace delivery in the slot, please hit me'.

There was a big article in yesterday's Sunday Times about this by the chief cricket writer.
Basically said that bowling in T20 is a mugs game and unless they do something about it no-one will want to bowl in the format.
Can't bowl off the full run - uses up too much time.
Can't bowl even a mm down leg - no ball.
Can't bowl short.
Can't bowl wide of off - no ball.
Small grounds.
Made smaller by putting up a ring of electronic signs.
Made even smaller by a boundary rope placed a long way inside.
Big springy bats.
Fielding restrictions.
Powerplay.
Free hits.

Basically as a bowler it's 'here's a nice medium pace delivery in the slot, please hit me'.
Bowlers kinda dominate in BBL though - it’s really just the roads and tiny grounds of India that exacerbate things. The ease by which players hit sixes these days is absolutely mental though.

The Windies and USA should hopefully have some slower pitches on offer this world cup to even it out a bit. I do expect some associates to concede 220 plus in the group stage however.

The Windies and USA should hopefully have some slower pitches on offer this world cup to even it out a bit. I do expect some associates to concede 220 plus in the group stage however.
Looking forward to the commentators referring to the pitch as a "traditional Florida Wicket"

As a Knight Riders' fan, I'm really happy with the result. Starc's second half of the qualifying games were reasonable and his finals series was superb. Narine as player of the tournament was well deserved, some unbelievable all-round efforts from him this season, particularly his batting which was ridiculous at times.

On the whole, it was a pretty good spectacle. The issues I had were with the bat far too dominant over ball, the length of games going for close to four hours is way too long and I do feel the tournament is too lengthy. Given the money at stake and how much the tournament is worth, I don't see those elements changing anytime soon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back