• Thilthorpe

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Brown

Votes: 4 12.5%
  • O'Brien

Votes: 2 6.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There really isn’t. As someone else said on this thread - not many teams have two tall defenders anymore. They’re not a particularly strong offensive team anyway, the challenge is breaking through their defense. Hence Parnell.
From what I can tell, 'most teams' aren't playing a 187cm player (who's strength is intercepting) as a key defender, against a team with three forwards over 190cm

I agree that our run from defence will be important, but IMO it's a case of quality over quantity, so guys like Parnell and Milera will have to step up to levels that they haven't yet previously (as Hinge will be pretty pre-occupied with Sharman/Owens/Membrey)

There really isn’t. As someone else said on this thread - not many teams have two tall defenders anymore. They’re not a particularly strong offensive team anyway, the challenge is breaking through their defense. Hence Parnell.
How many times have we leaked goals by going short in defence? We’ve tried going in with 1 kpd a number of times and it hasn’t worked. Just think back to round 2. Plus it takes away from Doedee being freer to play intercept role.

They’ve got a strong midfield and if we lose centre bounces again, we will be under the pump.

How many times have we leaked goals by going short in defence? We’ve tried going in with 1 kpd a number of times and it hasn’t worked. Just think back to round 2. Plus it takes away from Doedee being freer to play intercept role.

They’ve got a strong midfield and if we lose centre bounces again, we will be under the pump.
I would say that the times we’ve played only one tall down back we’ve lost because of other reasons. And if we’d kicked straight everyone would be saying what a tactical wiz Nicks was.

I would say that the times we’ve played only one tall down back we’ve lost because of other reasons. And if we’d kicked straight everyone would be saying what a tactical wiz Nicks was.
Just on this, we've lost two games due to inept goalkicking this year - against GWS and Collingwood. And while I agree the mood would be a lot more positive if we were 6-2 instead of 4-4, we went into both of those games with a defence that matched the size of the opposing forward line - more common sense than tactical wizardry

Nope, if opposition key forwards kick multiple goals against you, you can’t say we won so it was a good decision. Or think of it this way, if they kick less goals does it improve our chance of winning?

Sharman's a key forward isn't he? Didn't realise he was currently playing

So that's Caminiti, Sharman, Membrey, Owens and a part-time Marshall that we're coming up against

Yikes
Ah, forgot about Sharman. It does make the decision to not play Worrell, or even Borlase a bit puzzling. I imagine Butts will line up on Caminiti, and MM on Membrey? Sharman could be the one to do a Samson Ryan if it doesn't have an adequate one-on-one defender on him (I can't think who the match-up could be).

I think we could get away with one pure KPD if we had a 193cm utility type who could play that second role or otherwise act as a floating, intercept player. Like Murphy from Collingwood, Battle from St Kilda, Broad from Richmond, etc.

The problem is Doedee isn't that player and I very much doubt Hinge is either.

I think we could get away with one pure KPD if we had a 193cm utility type who could play that second role or otherwise act as a floating, intercept player. Like Murphy from Collingwood, Battle from St Kilda, Broad from Richmond, etc.

The problem is Doedee isn't that player and I very much doubt Hinge is either.
Hinge did very well against Cameron last week, but 1) it remains to be seen if he can back it up, and 2) it robs us of one of our best two rebounders, so as I previously said, one or both of Milera/Parnell are going to have to play a career-best game (or close to it) in order to make up for what we’re losing

Hinge did very well against Cameron last week, but 1) it remains to be seen if he can back it up, and 2) it robs us of one of our best two rebounders, so as I previously said, one or both of Milera/Parnell are going to have to play a career-best game (or close to it) in order to make up for what we’re losing
Smith too.

One thing Port did really well was run off their forwards and hurt them going the other way. Houston, Bergman, Williams and Burton all got huge numbers of R50's and metres gained. Guys like Phillipou and Owens were shown up for a lack of a tank (understandable for young players).

Ah, forgot about Sharman. It does make the decision to not play Worrell, or even Borlase a bit puzzling. I imagine Butts will line up on Caminiti, and MM on Membrey? Sharman could be the one to do a Samson Ryan if it doesn't have an adequate one-on-one defender on him (I can't think who the match-up could be).

Hinge likely to get Membrey? Sharman will be the mismatch against either Max or Doedee

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hinge likely to get Membrey? Sharman will be the mismatch against either Max or Doedee

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I don't think Max would be a mismatch much against Sharman if we went that way but he likely gets Higgins?

I don't think Max would be a mismatch much against Sharman if we went that way but he likely gets Higgins?
Looking at the matchups we’ll need him to take a tall

Butts - Caminiti
Doedee - Sharman
Hinge - Owens
Michalanney - Membrey (maybe swap with Doedee)
Smith - Phillipou
Parnell - Higgins
Milera - Butler

Smith and Hinge’s run might be able to expose Owens and Phillipou’s (lack of) tank

Looking at the matchups we’ll need him to take a tall

Butts - Caminiti
Doedee - Sharman
Hinge - Owens
Michalanney - Membrey (maybe swap with Doedee)
Smith - Phillipou
Parnell - Higgins
Milera - Butler

Smith and Hinge’s run might be able to expose Owens and Phillipou’s (lack of) tank
Ooooh I don't like Parnell on Higgins, think he'd be too crafty for Patty.

Ooooh I don't like Parnell on Higgins, think he'd be too crafty for Patty.
Smith to Higgins, Parnell to Butler and Milera to Phillipou maybe?

MM to one of Higgins or Butler means we’re sending one of Milera, Smith or Parnell to a KPF, which I hate

MM to one of Higgins or Butler means we’re sending one of Milera, Smith or Parnell to a KPF, which I hate
Gollant was drafted as a half back/winger...maybe a late change...LOL

A lot of disgust in this thread for stuff that hasn’t happened.

I’m hoping we get Murray back next week and Worrell is introduced when match fit, enabling us to move Hinge to a wing and upgrade from marshmallow-soft Sholl.

Looking forward to this game; seeing what Parnell can do, Fog moving better without strapping, Rankine lighting it up.

Lessgo.

I would love to see Max on Phillipou.

The Pou is not much of a threat ....play Smith on him, and have him run off him ....Pou hasn't the tank yet
Surely Max takes Higgins as their most dangerous forward

Back