Food & Drink The Hangar Wine Thread! (posts moved from various locations)

Remove this Banner Ad

Tell us about your extensive wine collection, scezza. ;)
AAEAAQAAAAAAAAJtAAAAJGQxMzgwZjQ1LTZjMzEtNDI4Zi1iYzk1LWNlNzNmOTczYmQ1YQ.jpg

But to be fair, I've also got no beer and only half a bottle of Chivas Regal in my house as I almost never drink at home.

Max Headroom I grabbed a couple of bottles of Pandalowie special release shiraz (2013) on your recommendation which were sampled today. Absolute cracker. Thanks for the recommendation. According to Dominic the wine-maker, the wine has been put up against Grange in blind tastings and has held its own (although he would say that and sadly, I have never sampled Grange).

I also received a bottle of pinot as a gift today (grrr).

Max Headroom I grabbed a couple of bottles of Pandalowie special release shiraz (2013) on your recommendation which were sampled today. Absolute cracker. Thanks for the recommendation. According to Dominic the wine-maker, the wine has been put up against Grange in blind tastings and has held its own (although he would say that and sadly, I have never sampled Grange).

I also received a bottle of pinot as a gift today (grrr).
Excellent! Another convert (rubs hands):wineglass:

Beerfish I checked this with some more knowledgeable colleagues. Some red wine benefits from being drunk lower than the traditional room temperature. The perception of hotness due to alcohol content can be lessened. However, the lower the temperature the more the tannins are emphasised, so medium and full bodied red wines become really astringent and unpleasant. So lowering the temp can be ok for lighter reds - but not chilled. Temperanillo is lighter to medium so I suspect the restaurant has taken a bit of reasonable advice too far.

I think I understand now why I never order red wine on a plane anymore. In the past I tended to order Shiraz or a Cab blend (full bodied wines) on a plane. It was almost always 'green', astringent and unpleasant. I am now thInking that this was probably a function of it being so bloody cold when they poured it.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes indeed DERO , a set of old Shiraz vines from the 1860s. They are up on a bit of a sandy hillock. They survived phylloxera (a devastating insect pest that eats grapevine roots) because, even though the nagambie vineyard has phylloxera, the insect doesn't move well through light sandy soil.

Cue the hoary old chestnut about whether old vines actually do produce better wines.

Edit: I think Australia's oldest vines are some Shiraz vines at yalumba in the Barossa valley - SA doesn't have phylloxera.

Last edited:
A late Christmas present - a box of six Tahbilks! All shiraz.

Three of them 2013 vintage, another 2012, another 2008 and the oldest of all, 2001. :)
Be interested to know how you reckon the 2001 wine is holding together. I reckon that 20 or so years ago Tahbilk had issues with brettanomyces in their big oak barrels so it might have the distinctive Brett 'band aid' aroma.

Speaking of Coonawarra and gifts. I was given a Penfolds 2014 389 Shiraz for Christmas. I am currently in a bit of a shitbox of a rental while some work is done to my house and it is either way to hot or way to cold on account of the lack of heating and cooling. I have chucked it in the bottom of the linen cupboard but am worried that it will go off before I have left it long enough in order to drink.
tesla1962 ?

DERO The bottom of the linen press should be fine. Love a bin 389. Extreme heat is bad for wine. But most often wines are out of extreme heat so it's the fluctuations between max and min that affect wines. The more stable the better even if it's above ideal cellaring temperature. Take it to a mates house?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a any idea about Doc Adams wines?

So the scoopon ad says

upload_2017-3-29_8-5-49.png

Logging in to Scoopon it shows the same wines. There's no description beyond 2015 Shiraz/Cab Sav, 2016 Chardonnay. You can get 12 of a single variety or 4 bottles of each.

Doc Adams website shows

upload_2017-3-29_8-6-55.png

There's no sign on the Doc Adams website for the red label Shiraz and white label Cab Sav. The website does have the Chardonnay though. Up to $250 value Scoopon says. 12 X $25 > $250.

Would I be getting the same wines as the winery website if I bought? Would I be getting an inferior version? Doc Adams are reviewed online as a decent wine, at $69 a box it's too good to pass up as a winter quaffer but I don't want to buy a dozen bottles of their el cheapo, that is if they do an el cheapo as their website doesn't advertise it.

Sigh.... might have to make a couple of phone calls today.

Sorry Pweter have no idea but this bump reminds me I've been meaning to ask tesla1962 about Tempranillos. Rarely get a bad one at restaurants yet I can't seem to buy a decent one off the shelf. It's pretty frustrating because I've had some absolute crackers dining out. Why is it so difficult to get a good one otherwise? We even looked into buying a case of one that we thought was amazing but there's only one distributor in Australia in the eastern states.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back