Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Caramelized pumpkin is the go. I tried telling my kid who wouldn't eat "the burnt bits" that, and it's true.

I found it interesting after hearing somebody on the wireless talk about how they were in the USA and couldn't believe nobody had heard of making pumpkin soup. They talked it up and so the people got interested and so the person made a big batch with their favourite recipe.

Apparently the pumpkins they get in the states are much different to what we get, hence why they usually use it in stuff we don't, and the soup was god awful. Apparently everyone was polite but went away thinking along the lines "Jesus, Vegemite and now this."
Tbf people use squash to make pumpkin soup here too, and that’s not great either.

When I was a kid the roast pumpkin was the last thing eaten because you never got a lot of it and it was the sweetest.
Roast potatoes though. Give it up.
Everything is better roasted, but nothing beats overcooked Kent pumpkin and fluffy/crunchy potatoes

Even brussel sprouts if properly seasoned are edible when roasted

Never heard of that. I don't mind squash, but wouldn't have thought it'd make great soup. Maybe with a load of chicken stock, but then you're probably getting away from it being pumpkin soup.
The good stuff is usually Kent pumpkin in a bone broth with onion, garlic and cumin in it.

Don’t need added dairy but I think a stick blender is mandatory for texture.

Butternut does make a delicious soup. I have actually found this ironbark soup a little watery so far to be honest.
As long as you don’t call it pumpkin soup. It isn’t the same thing, it’s almost as bad as getting mashed pumpkin that tastes like sweet potato, or a Nutella sandwich that has Vegemite in it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not always lol, you can actually ask the staff to cut down a whole one for you that you grabbed off a shelf and they’ll put the other half or 3/4 with the cut up bits

The frozen mixed veg on the other hand…
I saw a little old lady at Woolies ask staff to do exactly this to a pumpkin the other day, it made me smile in a warm and happy way.

A couple of reverse seared tomahawks...cooked to 55 degrees internal in the boys Kamado Joe grill. Amazing.View attachment 1837283
Homer Drool GIF

Week in vietnam has been fun

Found a gem called banh xeao (and the smaller version banh khot).
Not seen them in melb but if anyone has any tips/has seen them before, let me know

Eggy/pancake thing loaded with prawns and pork that you tear apart and eat inside vegetable leaves.
So good

Also, the vietnamese rock at pastry and bread. The french have some competition

Does anyone have any great one pan wonder recipes? I'm in a bit of a rut when it comes to meals and after something pretty easy with naff all cleaning up. Doesn't matter if it's quick for a weeknight or slow for a weekend, I'm just on the hunt for something new and decent. Whether it be stove top or oven I'm not fussed.

Soup season is approaching which is good for reintroducing a bit more variety but fmd I'm getting sick of thinking of what to cook for the coming week and my brain has given up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back