Food & Drink The Hangar Food Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Being so lean, how does it handle slow cooking without drying out? You'd need to use shoulder or something but I'm not sure how fatty the shoulder is compared to other animals
I'm a bit late to the party here but...you're right slow cooked venison is best in a wet dish like casserole.
Shoulder from a small animal and shanks from any size are great, whilst not fatty at all, and deer fat is pretty gross anyway, they have a lot of gooey cartilage to break down.

I do shanks a fair bit, just need a bit of "Frenching"to get the worst of the silver skin and sinew cut out first, but totally worth it.

Made a pumpkin loaf, pumpkin soup and pumpkin curry. Have about 2 kilos left. Maybe some pumpkin scones?
Gotcha, I read it as you don't recommend the pumpkin itself!
Sounds like you needed a chainsaw for that thing. Here's an idea for you, simple and tasty, but I prefer raisins to cranberry in this recipe

Made a pumpkin loaf, pumpkin soup and pumpkin curry. Have about 2 kilos left. Maybe some pumpkin scones?
I've had this on the "to cook" list for a while but haven't gotten around to it. Maple roasted pumpkin and chicken salad, though you'll still have ~1kg of pumpkin left

A colleague I used to work with would occasionally make and bring in a pumpkin cheesecake that was absolutely divine. Dunno what the recipe is, there's a few online.

Yeh I like using a serated knife on difficult pumpkins, really let's you bite in and control the wobble.
I recommend something like the "finger slice 4000"

We have a couple of very similar knives to those. Along with my 18cm chef's knife they'd be the most used knives in the house.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have a couple of very similar knives to those. Along with my 18cm chef's knife they'd be the most used knives in the house.
I've got several German and Japanese chef's knives of various sizes but these little Victorinox serrated knives are a great all rounder, they are brutally sharp, versatile and dirt cheap, the Amazon review are hilarious as many of them are from people cutting themselves

Pre-cut fresh produce is the bits of what was left from the stuff that's already gone off.
Not always lol, you can actually ask the staff to cut down a whole one for you that you grabbed off a shelf and they’ll put the other half or 3/4 with the cut up bits

The frozen mixed veg on the other hand…

I've had this on the "to cook" list for a while but haven't gotten around to it. Maple roasted pumpkin and chicken salad, though you'll still have ~1kg of pumpkin left

A colleague I used to work with would occasionally make and bring in a pumpkin cheesecake that was absolutely divine. Dunno what the recipe is, there's a few online.
these things are mostly good cos of the spice that goes along with pumpkin (i.e nutmeg, cinnamon, etc)
ive done pumpkin pie. wife made a cheesecake
they were really nice, but i reckon it's the spice, not so much the pumpkin :p

these things are mostly good cos of the spice that goes along with pumpkin (i.e nutmeg, cinnamon, etc)
ive done pumpkin pie. wife made a cheesecake
they were really nice, but i reckon it's the spice, not so much the pumpkin :p
Caramelized pumpkin is the go. I tried telling my kid who wouldn't eat "the burnt bits" that, and it's true.

I found it interesting after hearing somebody on the wireless talk about how they were in the USA and couldn't believe nobody had heard of making pumpkin soup. They talked it up and so the people got interested and so the person made a big batch with their favourite recipe.

Apparently the pumpkins they get in the states are much different to what we get, hence why they usually use it in stuff we don't, and the soup was god awful. Apparently everyone was polite but went away thinking along the lines "Jesus, Vegemite and now this."

Caramelized pumpkin is the go. I tried telling my kid who wouldn't eat "the burnt bits" that, and it's true.

I found it interesting after hearing somebody on the wireless talk about how they were in the USA and couldn't believe nobody had heard of making pumpkin soup. They talked it up and so the people got interested and so the person made a big batch with their favourite recipe.

Apparently the pumpkins they get in the states are much different to what we get, hence why they usually use it in stuff we don't, and the soup was god awful. Apparently everyone was polite but went away thinking along the lines "Jesus, Vegemite and now this."
Hahah

Agree. You have to really cook pumpkin...then cook it some more

On the wireless?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back