The Hangar Computer / Computer Building Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey guys, figured I may as well share one of my passions with you all and see if anyone else is into it.

So I build computers and the like, and I just ordered new parts for a brand new set up.

CASE: Cooler Master Cosmos II Ultra Tower ($349)
MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte G1-Sniper M3 ($199)
CPU: Intel i7 2700K (Overclocked to 4.2 GHz) ($199)
GRAPHICS CARD: EVGA Nvidia GTX 690 ($1,100)
RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 ($525)
POWER SUPPLY: 1000W Antec Platinum ($299)
COOLING: Cooler Master TPC 812 CPU Cooler ($79)
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 3TB ($162)
SSD: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB ($245)
MONITOR(S): ASUS 27" VE278Q x2 ($323 ea)

Go!

When will you ever use 32gb of ram? Also forgot to include $$$

80462491.jpg

When will you ever use 32gb of ram? Also forgot to include $$$

80462491.jpg
No idea, won some money off the Brownlow and thought "Eh, what the hell".

Adding in prices now.

The graphics card and the ram are stupid, but you probably already know that.

I do like shiny things though.
Stupidly AWESOME :D

It was either a GTX 690 or two 660ti's running in SLI, and, for power and noise, I just got a 690. Just cos.
The RAM was packaged in as part of the deal, haha.

As GW said, the GPU and RAM complete and utter waste of money, unless it's a work computer as a civil engineer or something... or you're mining bitcoins, but then the rest of the rig is silly.

I'd save the coin, go 16 GB RAM and a single GTX 680 and then save the left over cash to up the GPU if you must 18 months down the track when the 690 is half the price. You can even pocket a bit of extra cash on the upgrade when you on sell the 680 to a friend/relo.

RAM: 32GB Corsair Dominator GT DDR3 ($525)
Go!

Your PC won't be relevant by the time that amount of ram is.
Even 12 gig will do you for quite some time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Considering putting something together as I'm currently running a bit of a battly laptop. Will come back for advice once I get past exams and work out finances though :thumbsu:

Hirdismyhero George Washington @etc.

I've cracked the shits with my computer and decided to get a new one. Looking for advice on how powerful it needs to be and therefore how much I should spend on each part. I'm not a gamer (unless Solitaire or AOE2 count...) but I'll probably need to run programs like SPACE GASS and CAD in a year or two's time, so I'm not sure whether I should make this computer powerful enough to support those sort of programs or upgrade when I actually need them. I basically use it for internet, Office and movies at the moment.

The only parts I currently have are a monitor and an external HDD, so I'll need to buy a whole system basically.

Thanks in advance!

Hirdismyhero George Washington @etc.

I've cracked the shits with my computer and decided to get a new one. Looking for advice on how powerful it needs to be and therefore how much I should spend on each part. I'm not a gamer (unless Solitaire or AOE2 count...) but I'll probably need to run programs like SPACE GASS and CAD in a year or two's time, so I'm not sure whether I should make this computer powerful enough to support those sort of programs or upgrade when I actually need them. I basically use it for internet, Office and movies at the moment.

The only parts I currently have are a monitor and an external HDD, so I'll need to buy a whole system basically.

Thanks in advance!
The good thing with computers is that you can generally upgrade them as you need. CAD isn't that intensive of a program, but would certainly benefit from a decent amount of RAM and a 3.5+ GHz processor. What you would want to look at first would be the CPU, and, in my opinion, I'm a fan of Intel.
I kinda swear by my Intel 1155 2770-K. It's unlocked, so you can overclock it at a later date if you need to.

Depending on how much money you're willing to part with, you can get a relatively basic set up now, and upgrade to better parts as you go.

OK, looking at those basic configs there, and they seem a little too cheap. Is there a massive difference between what I could get for $300-$500 and what I could get for say $800?

Also, what is the advantage of having a 128GB SSD when a 2TB HDD is the same price?

OK, looking at those basic configs there, and they seem a little too cheap. Is there a massive difference between what I could get for $300-$500 and what I could get for say $800?

Also, what is the advantage of having a 128GB SSD when a 2TB HDD is the same price?
SSDs are, in my experience, more stable, but also extremely fast when compared to standard HDDs.

Most people generally use SSDs for the operating system and their most used applications (so for me, all of my Adobe applications are stored on the SSD).

I'll do some research and see if I can come up with a solid $800 system for you, BTG.

Okay, so I had a look around, and came up with a somewhat decent system for you which totals a little over $800.

CPU: Intel i3-2120 (LGA 1155) $120
MOTHERBOARD: ASUS P8B75-M $75
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB $69
DVD BURNER: LG DVD Burner $29
RAM: Corsair 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 $45
CASE: Cooler Master CM Storm 2 $110
POWER SUPPLY: Antec High Current Gamer 620M $115
GRAPHICS CARD: MSI nVidia GTX 560Ti 1GB $253

TOTAL: $816

RAM may be a bit excessive, but if you're using high intensity programs later then you may need it.

^This too, the GPU doesn't really need to be that powerful.
Just did some reading on the 560 as well, apparently the Ti's aren't as reliable as the non-Ti version.

Appreciate that! Thanks :thumbsu:

The graphics card seems pretty expensive relative to the other parts. Is that overkill? I'm not fussed about paying $45 for RAM, so 8GB isn't that excessive.

How important is the power supply? That whirlpool page GW linked before seemed to imply that it's not a huge deal.

Maybe cutting back on the graphics card and the power supply and adding an SSD might be an option.

Well without a power supply the computer won't work, haha. With the parts I listed, you could probably get a 400W system working.

The graphics card is a bit of overkill, I'll admit. I just don't really have a clue on any other ones you could try. Perhaps an XFX Radeon HD5770?

Well without a power supply the computer won't work, haha. With the parts I listed, you could probably get a 400W system working.

The graphics card is a bit of overkill, I'll admit. I just don't really have a clue on any other ones you could try. Perhaps an XFX Radeon HD5770?

Haha, I meant cutting back rather than cutting it out. The hamsters I'm training to run on that wheel to power it aren't progressing as fast as I'd like.

How essential is a graphics card?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back