Music The guitar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Just think about those Gibsons and chill out.
(Call me cheap but I don't mind some Epiphones. If they were ok for John Lennon....)

Yep the problem with Epiphones is they are pretty inconsistent with quality. Some are very good, some......aren't. Vintage are a good brand now that is far cheaper (certainly than Gibsons or Fenders) but are actually pretty nice guitars for entry to intermediate level. Their Peter Green Les Paul model (the one Gary Moore played) is very nice in particular.

Unfortunately for my bank balance though I'm a total Gibson snob. :(

Yep the problem with Epiphones is they are pretty inconsistent with quality. Some are very good, some......aren't. Vintage are a good brand now that is far cheaper (certainly than Gibsons or Fenders) but are actually pretty nice guitars for entry to intermediate level. Their Peter Green Les Paul model (the one Gary Moore played) is very nice in particular.

They do vary for sure. Buyer beware for the beginner, but if you know what you are looking for.
Had an Epi Les Paul once with EMG pickups. Pretty close to the Gibson quality. The body not quite as thick though was the obvious quality difference and the actual wood of course.

And with the Gibsons mate, at least you know you got what you paid for and they hold their value.

Played a Martin acoustic once, and the guy in the shop put a Fender nylon in my hands, and I was surprised how close it felt given there was a 2k difference in the price! Fender can surprise sometimes.

They do vary for sure. Buyer beware for the beginner, but if you know what you are looking for.
Had an Epi Les Paul once with EMG pickups. Pretty close to the Gibson quality. The body not quite as thick though was the obvious quality difference and the actual wood of course.

And with the Gibsons mate, at least you know you got what you paid for and they hold their value.

Played a Martin acoustic once, and the guy in the shop put a Fender nylon in my hands, and I was surprised how close it felt given there was a 2k difference in the price! Fender can surprise sometimes.

im good at guitar hero!:)

Vintage are a good brand now that is far cheaper ....

Excuse my ignorance but I have never heard of "Vintage" guitars. You don't have a link to a web page do you?
I was wondering if you meant Heritage Guitars.

Its a bit like Holden and Ford argument with Gibson and Fender.

My all time favourite guitarist Jeff Beck played a Gibson Les Paul on that album that changed music forever for guitarists whether they know that or not (Blow by Blow 1975), and then went on to play a Fender Strat - and even to have a Strat with a few extras named after him.

Then again for those who have seen Beck play he uses the whammy bar like no other player I have seen so perhaps that's why he went to Strats.

Got to say that the Strat is a very easy and nice guitar to play (if you have good American one).

Its all a bit like Acres or Dunstan - we all have likes and dislikes. Really cannot too wrong with a Les Paul or an American made Strat.

I used to like my Hagstrom (Les Paul shaped Swedish guitar - just a beautiful bit of craftsmanship but way too heavy in weight).

Wow, this has just become my favourite thread.

If you ask me, Les Paul + Marshall = Unbeatable. Pretty standard I know, but that tone is just incredible (saw Gary Moore mentioned earlier - perfect example).

Having said that, SRV (probably my favourite guitarist of all time) could certainly get some bloody good sounds out of his Strat (Tin Pan Alley and Lenny, or Rude Mood if you like it rough etc).

My all time favourite guitarist Jeff Beck played a Gibson Les Paul on that album that changed music forever for guitarists whether they know that or not (Blow by Blow 1975), and then went on to play a Fender Strat - and even to have a Strat with a few extras named after him.

Then again for those who have seen Beck play he uses the whammy bar like no other player I have seen so perhaps that's why he went to Strats.

I'm assuming you saw him at the Palais in early 2009? I went both nights.

That Les Paul that Beck used on the Blow by Blow album is the same one George Harrison plays on the "Revolution" film clip too. :thumbsu:

If you ask me, Les Paul + Marshall = Unbeatable. Pretty standard I know, but that tone is just incredible (saw Gary Moore mentioned earlier - perfect example).

Having said that, SRV (probably my favourite guitarist of all time) could certainly get some bloody good sounds out of his Strat (Tin Pan Alley and Lenny, or Rude Mood if you like it rough etc).

Standard perhaps, also magnificent. The other thing for me personally is so many of my favourite guitarists played Les Pauls - and played them through Marshalls. Clapton (especially with John Mayall and Cream), Peter Green (Moore's Les Paul he actually bought off Green), Paul Kossoff, Mick Taylor, Duane Allman, even Townshend for a time.

Saw Stevie Ray at Festival Hall in 1986 too. :)

Any drummers care to chime in?

Neal Peart.

And it aint even close. :D

Go Catters

Billy Ward would but he's probably too stoned out of his mind.

hate Marshall myself, ridiculously overrated stale sounding amplifiers.
Terrific if you wanna add the whole foot pedal range to your setup but in terms of sound, you can get just as good a sound from the of the lesser know brands and a good 4x12 combo.

Been through stacks of amps and guitars myself, I tried to copy my favourite shredders (failed miserably) so preferred the Jacksons, Ibanez's etc and surprisingly, the best sounding guitar I ever played was some PRS hollowbody which had this sustain which literally sang, never come across anything like it.
Unfortunately had to sell it to make some money.

...all this talk of guitars making wish I was still playing :(

Standard perhaps, also magnificent. The other thing for me personally is so many of my favourite guitarists played Les Pauls - and played them through Marshalls. Clapton (especially with John Mayall and Cream), Peter Green (Moore's Les Paul he actually bought off Green), Paul Kossoff, Mick Taylor, Duane Allman, even Townshend for a time.

Saw Stevie Ray at Festival Hall in 1986 too. :)

Saw Stevie Ray at the Melbourne Arts Centre. I also saw there Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin and Pac De Lucia and in the second half my second favourite guitarist came on - Steve Morse. It was an all acoustic gig. I liked them all but Morse blew them all away ! And so young at the time.

Wow - what a technically proficient guitarist in any style of music.

Now days a lot of guys have a favourite guitar maker and have them make personalised guitars like Santana - another favourite of mine.

As far as amps go I have an old Marshall valve job. Just a small one as otherwise your neighbours come to hate your guts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Saw Stevie Ray at the Melbourne Arts Centre. I also saw there Al Dimeola, John McLaughlin and Pac De Lucia and in the second half my second favourite guitarist came on - Steve Morse. It was an all acoustic gig. I liked them all but Morse blew them all away ! And so young at the time.

Wow - what a technically proficient guitarist in any style of music.

Now days a lot of guys have a favourite guitar maker and have them make personalised guitars like Santana - another favourite of mine.

As far as amps go I have an old Marshall valve job. Just a small one as otherwise your neighbours come to hate your guts.

:eek:

Next you will be telling me you saw Danny Gatton and Michael Hedges!

Great stuff.

hate Marshall myself, ridiculously overrated stale sounding amplifiers.
Terrific if you wanna add the whole foot pedal range to your setup but in terms of sound, you can get just as good a sound from the of the lesser know brands and a good 4x12 combo.

Been through stacks of amps and guitars myself, I tried to copy my favourite shredders (failed miserably) so preferred the Jacksons, Ibanez's etc and surprisingly, the best sounding guitar I ever played was some PRS hollowbody which had this sustain which literally sang, never come across anything like it.
Unfortunately had to sell it to make some money.

...all this talk of guitars making wish I was still playing :(

Not surprising at all.
A Paul Reed Smith in the right hands can sound as good as anything. The good ones aren't cheap either.

And the fastest guitar players I have known personally were also partial to the Jacksons and Ibanezs :thumbsu:
That sort of style isn't for everyone, and I never tried to play that way, but the thin necks are built for speed. From there the pedals and amps are like mixing a studio track, not everyone gets it right.

Not surprising at all.
A Paul Reed Smith in the right hands can sound as good as anything. The good ones aren't cheap either.

And the fastest guitar players I have known personally were also partial to the Jacksons and Ibanezs :thumbsu:
That sort of style isn't for everyone, and I never tried to play that way, but the thin necks are built for speed. From there the pedals and amps are like mixing a studio track, not everyone gets it right.

Yep, I always preferred wide necks. Especially if you like using a bit of vibrato, or have big hands, and I'm in both categories. Another reason why I prefer Gibsons - they tend to have wider necks than Fenders.

:eek:

Next you will be telling me you saw Danny Gatton and Michael Hedges!

Great stuff.

Speak in hushed tones when you take the name of Michael Hedges on your lips.

Arial Boundaries is one of my favorite albums.

Michael+Hedges+-+Aerial+Boundaries+-+LP+RECORD-502242.jpg

Are Gibson. Fender. Marshall prospective draft picks as have not been able to find any info on AFL.com?:confused:

Gibson was picked up by the Hawks. Marshall played a game or two with the Cats. Fender did not get drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back