News The Ginnivan Rule - AFL cracks down

Remove this Banner Ad

They need to be paid the genuine frees there.

I have no issue with the overarching message of if a player deliberately causes high contact despite the tacklers best efforts to make sure its low then its play on.

But in instances that the tackler has not attempted to tackle correctly then regardless off the ball winners actions it should be a free kick.

Many of Ginnivans frees whilst his tactics draw the high contact many of the tacklers aren't even trying hence should be free kicks.

the afl had a couple of days to look at it and still thought ginnivan was responsible for the initial high contact. i can only think they genuinely thought that....even though the essendon player reached directly for his neck....

i know he eases himself to the ground but i couldnt see any drop in knees.....so if the afl with 2 days thinks one thing and many people including myself disagrees, then how are umpires to make split second decisions.

there are lots of sports where the player with the ball holds all the cards - basketball, for example....soccer....but afl supporters dont like players getting easy frees. I cant see a satisfactory way out of all this....

the afl had a couple of days to look at it and still thought ginnivan was responsible for the initial high contact. i can only think they genuinely thought that....even though the essendon player reached directly for his neck....

i know he eases himself to the ground but i couldnt see any drop in knees.....so if the afl with 2 days thinks one thing and many people including myself disagrees, then how are umpires to make split second decisions.

This is the problem. The AFL has clearly formed an opinion re Ginnivan and that announcement was protecting that biased view.

Especially considering the vast majority of people, including many unbiased experienced football people thought was a clear free kick without any Ginnivan responsibility.

The AFL was doing nothing more than trying to save face and not be open to criticism when they have clearly contributed to the problem.

Last edited:
Some of the high frees being paid in the Freo vs Melb match tonight are laughable after last week. Ginni would've copped a dozen over the last few weeks that were way worse than those getting paid here. And yes.............Pickett dropping into tackles and getting paid.

I will say that Viney looks :fire::fire:

Maybe the AFL needs to develop a "how well liked" index in assisting the viewer to determine whether players will get a free for too high....
Or audience participation devices…let the affirmation of noise become the affirmation of clicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has there ever been a worse grand final performance? Took his teams focus off the ball, got reported twice and suspended for 13 weeks.
Hard to imagine a more idiotic performance.
I’ve nearly worn out the 1990 vhs tape. Favourite game of all time. Daniher had plenty of mate’s vying for worst on ground, Bewick and that effort from Izzard was pathetic 😂

Remove this Banner Ad

Back