The downfall of Fox Footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

The new show for this year, "Midweek Tackle" on Tuesdays and Wednesdays is more what AFL360 should be.

Raw as all heck, but a solid 30 minutes of fast-paced discussion.

No Coaches Night, Players Night etc. that has been AFL360's repetitive programming over the past few years.

First Crack on Mondays. Midweek Tackle on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

AFL360 can be 'retired'.

Now we just need a wednesday evening League Teams to return, given it's precisely what Midweek Tackle is like with the round the table table discussion, only its about matchups and tips, rather than general footy news and trade stuff

Just watched Midweek Tackle for the first time. Decent show, but what's with the wide angle camera panning back and forth? Makes me feel nauseous.

It's not just FoxFooty but so many footy commentators are s**t. Taking Cameron Ling as an example, has he really ever added anything to a footy coverage? Feels like he's got the job because he's a good bloke, much like many of them.

This goes for cricket too, just because someone played at the level and is a good bloke doesn't mean they'll make a good commentator. I'm ok with ex players who are insightful like Luke Hodge, other than that pick good commentators for hecks sake!

(Bit ranty for this early in the morning ha ha)

Now we just need a wednesday evening League Teams to return
I'd like that as much as the next person, but aren't the only teams sheets available by wednesday night the ones for Thursday's game? The rest of the weeks teams don't come in until Thursday night afaik.

It's not just FoxFooty but so many footy commentators are s**t. Taking Cameron Ling as an example, has he really ever added anything to a footy coverage? Feels like he's got the job because he's a good bloke, much like many of them.

This goes for cricket too, just because someone played at the level and is a good bloke doesn't mean they'll make a good commentator. I'm ok with ex players who are insightful like Luke Hodge, other than that pick good commentators for *s sake!

I think Luke Darcy unknowingly hit the nail on the head when he went off on his own rant at Kane Cornes on MMM the other day. he says to him "you are given the golden ticket into post football media and you want to go off and criticise people in the industry" (paraphrased that a bit). I think poor Luke actually forgot exactly what the public want from their commentators - and that is unbiased, unfiltered comment. Not a "mates club" diatribe which is completely cynical.
Kane quite happy to admit that he occasionally goes a bit too hard and in fact the reason for Darcy's attack was linked back to Corne's criticism of Bevo and Darcy's involvement at board level with the Dogs. is why Eddie Mc is so much better now than when he was sitting in the Pies chair because he is no longer constrained by AFL affiliation.

This goes for cricket too, just because someone played at the level and is a good bloke doesn't mean they'll make a good commentator. I'm ok with ex players who are insightful like Luke Hodge, other than that pick good commentators for *s sake!

Hodge is okay but jack R is the best i've heard for a while - he was always going to be good bc he was such a smart footballer AND had some excellent media exposure prior to retirement. Hodge is a bit vanilla for me.

I think Luke Darcy unknowingly hit the nail on the head when he went off on his own rant at Kane Cornes on MMM the other day. he says to him "you are given the golden ticket into post football media and you want to go off and criticise people in the industry" (paraphrased that a bit). I think poor Luke actually forgot exactly what the public want from their commentators - and that is unbiased, unfiltered comment. Not a "mates club" diatribe which is completely cynical.
Kane quite happy to admit that he occasionally goes a bit too hard and in fact the reason for Darcy's attack was linked back to Corne's criticism of Bevo and Darcy's involvement at board level with the Dogs. is why Eddie Mc is so much better now than when he was sitting in the Pies chair because he is no longer constrained by AFL affiliation.

I'm a big Kane Cornes fan, have been since he did the Fri morn show on SEN, his Mean Tweets segment was gold.

But put it this way, I'd have blokes like Kane Cornes and David King before Darcy that's for sure.

I don't think King is that well liked but he knows his s**t and like Cornes always has an opinion. King actually did a sportsman's day at my local cricket club recently, very well received and then he put his payment on the bar for the boys on the way out, great effort.

I'm a big Kane Cornes fan, have been since he did the Fri morn show on SEN, his Mean Tweets segment was gold.

But put it this way, I'd have blokes like Kane Cornes and David King before Darcy that's for sure.

I don't think King is that well liked but he knows his s**t and like Cornes always has an opinion. King actually did a sportsman's day at my local cricket club recently, very well received and then he put his payment on the bar for the boys on the way out, great effort.
Yeah that's a bit better than having Kevin Sheedy do one and he auctions a piece of paraphernalia off then suddenly appears with another "one off" item from the boot of his car that he sells to the underbidder and pockets the cash. :think:

Yea I like the way Cornes goes about it - supports his opinion with evidence generally. King i find flips and flops too much from week to week depending on the games. Pre season talking Crows up as a potential finalist, now says they have a terrible list. Well that list hasn't changed from 8 weeks ago so why tip them in for a finalist?

King is smart - but can bet a bit ‘myopic’ about certain players, rules, issues etc.

Montagna is a mini-King…but his commentary is ok.

Kat M seems to be being pushed out of the studio and into that curse of roles..the Boundary Rider.

Wonder why?

King is smart - but can bet a bit ‘myopic’ about certain players, rules, issues etc.

Kat M seems to be being pushed out of the studio and into that curse of roles..the Boundary Rider.

Wonder why?
Montagna commentating is excellent I've found. Good talking head also.

Thoroughly disliked him as a player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's going to be interesting next year when Fox has to find commentary teams for another 4 games (or so) every week considering the majority of main/analysis commentators also call games on radio.

I think it's going to be interesting next year when Fox has to find commentary teams for another 4 games (or so) every week considering the majority of main/analysis commentators also call games on radio.
I believe the radio contracts lined up with the end of the previous tv contract extension (end of this season). So I'd say Fox is working in the background to try and have those commentators available for stuff like TNF, FNF, marquee matches etc.

Wonder why?
If you're talking about Kath Loughnan, she's moved back to Perth.

Last edited:
If you're tally about Kath Loughnan, she's moved back to Perth.
Which has worked out well because she can be the permanent anchor based in WA as part of their overall commentary team.

I used to really enjoy the old League Teams show with Brad Johnson and David Parkin who was and still is an incredible fountain of knowledge. I guess 360 takes on this role now but there are too many segments that add nothing. I agree that Midweek Tackle is a good addition although given who runs the show, the panel of journalists will always be limited. Its UK soccer equivalent, which no longer airs (a real loss), Sunday Supplement benefited from a good mix between fairly regular guests and others who would come on more occasionally owing to the large number of national papers we have.

So I'd say Fox is working in the background to try and have those commentators available for stuff like TNF, FNF, marquee matches etc.
I wonder if this is going to have a Ch7-style hierarchy where BT and JB are considered their best callers as they have the marquee games.

IMHO, at the moment Adam Papalia and Matt Hill are Fox's best callers as there's no ego, no BS - just straight calling.

Huddo tends to be full of himself always going for catch-phrases. Have never rated Mark Howard. Derwayne, Underwood are shockers.
Montagna has potential.

There's going to be some noses out of joint.

If you're tally about Kath Loughnan, she's moved back to Perth.
Thank you - I was and did wonder.

I hope it’s not collateral damage from the other issues.

It shouldn’t be - but we know the crap that goes on behind the scenes in the ‘industry’.

Absolutely appalling tv - I've never been able to sit through an episode once Danny F passed away. He was the main character in this show.

Tbh, it was pretty ordinary even when Danny was on it - but it was certainly more watchable. Gaze is an Aussie sporting legend but is basically a unironic version of uncle arthur. Its so bad. Kinda makes me sad the Dunstall feels the need to even do the show after Danny passed, i think it should have been retired. RIP Danny

Midweek Tackle. Does anyone really give a s*** about yet more meaningless trade talk at Round 5?

Surely these journos aren't that stupid to realise they're all being played by managers to inflate their prices for new deals?

Or maybe they realise and don't care because they know it will suck in the nuffies who think it's real and serious?

Either way there's now as much talk about trade and free agency as there is about the actual games.

Tbh, it was pretty ordinary even when Danny was on it - but it was certainly more watchable. Gaze is an Aussie sporting legend but is basically a unironic version of uncle arthur. Its so bad. Kinda makes me sad the Dunstall feels the need to even do the show after Danny passed, i think it should have been retired. RIP Danny
Agree

Tackle is an attempt at ‘tabloid editorial’ footy TV.

They seem to be brave enough to speak their minds - none of the ‘AFL Moderation’ that plagues 360 - yet.

But that raises the question, if 360 is going to be ‘player focussed’, whyda fk are they using Robbo? He’s hardly got great insight into player issues or conflicts.

They’s be better off with’Duckwood’.

Does anyone know why Fox Footy dont show the onscreen graphic for the scores in the concurrent game on the 4k channel?

They show it on the HD channel.

Seems an odd choice.

As far back as I recall, theyve never shown it on the 4k version of games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back