• Forward

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ruck

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

HK, I disagree with this. Back before the 1990's maybe, but now they are entitled to earn money for their craft, whether the fans think it is good value for money or not. My point being, we can't expect players to do it for the love of the game, the fans, their kids etc. anymore. And if mid year trading comes in, it is going to get worse, imo.
I disagree with this. I'm very happy for them to earn money for craft, I've always thought that premiership players should earn more. I think AFL players are paid lowly, compared to other sport.

My point is that there is no need for players to be rude to supporters, whether it's a draftee or premiership player. Some become very arrogant, which is a bad trait for any person.

Walking back from training when we played GWS, Tomahawk walked up beside my friend's son + we all walked together to the hotel. It made that boy's afternoon. He also spent time with Joel Selwood kicking the ball around. When they were training he was told he could pick up the balls when they went out of bounds + kick then to the players. Bartel, Duncan, Cockatoo, Gregson, Lang, Blitz were utterly delightful too. StevieJ + Caddy were rude, ignored the kids + StevieJ growled when kids asked for his autograph or photos. Poor behaviour, at an open training session is just wrong. Tomahawk thanked us for coming, asked where we were from + was utterly charming + friendly. He didn't have to join us as we returned to the hotel, but he did + my friend's son was so chuffed that he was able to spend 10 minutes with Tomahawk.

I disagree with this. I'm very happy for them to earn money for craft, I've always thought that premiership players should earn more. I think AFL players are paid lowly, compared to other sport.

My point is that there is no need for players to be rude to supporters, whether it's a draftee or premiership player. Some become very arrogant, which is a bad trait for any person.

Walking back from training when we played GWS, Tomahawk walked up beside my friend's son + we all walked together to the hotel. It made that boy's afternoon. He also spent time with Joel Selwood kicking the ball around. When they were training he was told he could pick up the balls when they went out of bounds + kick then to the players. Bartel, Duncan, Cockatoo, Gregson, Lang, Blitz were utterly delightful too. StevieJ + Caddy were rude, ignored the kids + StevieJ growled when kids asked for his autograph or photos. Poor behaviour, at an open training session is just wrong. Tomahawk thanked us for coming, asked where we were from + was utterly charming + friendly. He didn't have to join us as we returned to the hotel, but he did + my friend's son was so chuffed that he was able to spend 10 minutes with Tomahawk.
This is the best reason for having professional sports, children need heroes to help form dreams. My first 'real' hero was an Ohio State football player, I was 7 or 8. His (perceived) attributes influenced me a lot, and I'm still a big fan of the team:)
Some players have good manners, some understand that their exalted status and paycheck come with some responsibilities, and others are just too absorbed with their 'stardom' and self-importance. Rude players are still role models whether they like it or not.

This is the best reason for having professional sports, children need heroes to help form dreams. My first 'real' hero was an Ohio State football player, I was 7 or 8. His (perceived) attributes influenced me a lot, and I'm still a big fan of the team:)
Some players have good manners, some understand that their exalted status and paycheck come with some responsibilities, and others are just too absorbed with their 'stardom' and self-importance. Rude players are still role models whether they like it or not.

Whereas I chose Geelong, because I thought Sam Newman was REALLY hot! :hearteyecat::hearteyecat::hearteyecat:

"Rude players" - exactly right!

My friend's son regards meeting the players (I asked Scotty to corral the players to have pix with him), open training + his 10 minutes with Tomahawk just about up there with the three premierships.

Hmmm, I think this is a perspective thing, because I do agree with you. But I don't get the opportunity to see the players up close and personal nearly as often as I get to watch them play on tele, being up here. I just want them to play well, so I can selfishly enjoy my weekend. I don't pay much attention to the media created off field image. They love a bit of drama, and aren't afraid to spin a yarn.

I'm envious of your experience, though. And would trade my Saturday arvo games on the couch to be able to claim the same.

Last edited:
Hmmm, I think this is a perspective thing, because I do agree with you. But I don't get the opportunity to see the players up close and personal nearly as often as I get to watch them play on tele, being up here. I just want them to play well, so I can selfishly enjoy my weekend. I don't pay much attention to the media created off field image. They love a bit of drama, and aren't afraid to spin a yarn.

I'm envious of your experience, though. And would trade my Saturday arvo games on the couch to be able to claim the same.
Just notice you're also in NSW, in Wagga, I'm in New England.

Next time Geelong play GWS in Canberra, contact the Club + ask when they're doing open training, you can go along. It's great fun.

Blitz is also a terrific guy. You could ask him about the position he's playing, post it in here + then you + I will be back on topic ;)

Yep can't wait for this.

Krock commentary.
The ball finishes with Bews in the back pocket who immediately dishes it off to Taylor and quickly onto 2E all by hand who in turn pumps the ball long to the wing where Blicavs works his man under the ball and takes a good mark goes back assesses his options forward has a quick glance in the center of the MCG and decides to go backwards looking for Kolajazknee on the opposite half back flank,oh no he has turned it over and the Hawks stroll in for an easy goal through Jarrod Roughead.

The whole slow ball movement issue was quite often a deliberate team focus, but that’s a conversation for a different thread thought. It wasn’t exclusively a Blicavs thing.

If anything Blicavs is known to deliver and do exactly what the team instructions are. He is the ultimate team player.

If the focus was to move the ball fast he would have. Do you think he would be refereed to as the ultimate team player if he couldn’t follow or execute basic basic game plan instructions like ball movement pace?

I know it was only a brief period, but every time I see the words "Blitz" and "wing" I get flashbacks of Bradley Hill on the outer side of the MCG just torching him - want to say 2013 PF but happy to be corrected - Partridge can probably shed light on it - as I remember him not loving it :sick: -

Not saying its been done before and wont work - we are a different team now to then - but if he plays there IMO it needs to have some different structure to it. And running the wings all day is one thing - doing it at high pace is another.

Happy to wait and see how it goes.

GO Catters
Daz, have a lot of respect for your opinion as your one of the few posters on here who doesn’t troll.
I get what your saying about speed and I have no doubt quick players are going to get past Blicavs, but there is obviously so much more than speed to being a quality wingman. Speed gets shockingly overstated here as almost a defining thing to your ability to contribute or not.

I will ask you:

How many wingman could run and keep up with Blicavs running the entire length of the ground from defence to forward over four quarters?? How many in the AFL would be in stitches trying to do that??

His weakness is his decision making around contests and his ability to break away from stoppages. If you give him roaming rights to cover the entire length of the field all day long presenting a defensive cut off option and then a target roaming forward, it removes his weakness and utilises all of his major strengths and advantages which are:

His aerobic capacity, which will tire the s**t out of others.
His agility to cut off and defend.
His extreme discipline and team focus to help out and get back are well known at Geelong. He will be a lot more committed to the defensive cause than some others are.
He provides an extremely hard match up moving forward given his height and flexibility.

Do you remember the period he was a wingman daz? He played some incredible footy back then and had a real purple patch where he was one of the in form players of the comp. Not saying he would get to such heights again but he is certainly capable in the spot of great footy.

Not disagreeing about the pace, but think he has so many amazing benefits to excel and contribute in the position as he previously did.

P.s. if at any point it says in a post “dad” it is because my iPhone is convinced of auto correcting daz to dad. Not my doing!

Great to hear that the club has a culture like this.

And good thing caddy f’ed off

Always great hearing the respect and leadership qualities of our players, that they are genuine good people behind the cameras as well.

Daz, have a lot of respect for your opinion as your one of the few posters on here who doesn’t troll.
I get what your saying about speed and I have no doubt quick players are going to get past Blicavs, but there is obviously so much more than speed to being a quality wingman. Speed gets shockingly overstated here as almost a defining thing to your ability to contribute or not.

I will ask you:

How many wingman could run and keep up with Blicavs running the entire length of the ground from defence to forward over four quarters?? How many in the AFL would be in stitches trying to do that??

His weakness is his decision making around contests and his ability to break away from stoppages. If you give him roaming rights to cover the entire length of the field all day long presenting a defensive cut off option and then a target roaming forward, it removes his weakness and utilises all of his major strengths and advantages which are:

His aerobic capacity, which will tire the s**t out of others.
His agility to cut off and defend.
His extreme discipline and team focus to help out and get back are well known at Geelong. He will be a lot more committed to the defensive cause than some others are.
He provides an extremely hard match up moving forward given his height and flexibility.

Do you remember the period he was a wingman daz? He played some incredible footy back then and had a real purple patch where he was one of the in form players of the comp. Not saying he would get to such heights again but he is certainly capable in the spot of great footy.

Not disagreeing about the pace, but think he has so many amazing benefits to excel and contribute in the position as he previously did.

P.s. if at any point it says in a post “dad” it is because my iPhone is convinced of auto correcting daz to dad. Not my doing!

My point of reference was that Blitz in a few moments on that outer wing gone done by Hill. IMO its not debatable. And it happened a few times that game.

But a few times does not preclude him from -
- getting better
- learning the game better and not being caught so out of position
- having the team structure better so that he doesnt get caught trying to defend arguably the most agile and fastest bloke on the ground

Given the very nature of his strengths it could bloody well work running up and back all day long. I just had a Pavlovian moment around "Blitz" and "wing" being mentioned together.

Id luv nothing more than for him to be there, present a tall marking option both leaving D 50 and and defensive presence on the wing with the ball coming out. Not to mention the old chugging back and forth all day long linking up for us. I do think the team structure needs to support him there however and in 2013 or so we didnt do that enough.

We will see.

GO Catters

My point of reference was that Blitz in a few moments on that outer wing gone done by Hill. IMO its not debatable. And it happened a few times that game.

But a few times does not preclude him from -
- getting better
- learning the game better and not being caught so out of position
- having the team structure better so that he doesnt get caught trying to defend arguably the most agile and fastest bloke on the ground

Given the very nature of his strengths it could bloody well work running up and back all day long. I just had a Pavlovian moment around "Blitz" and "wing" being mentioned together.

Id luv nothing more than for him to be there, present a tall marking option both leaving D 50 and and defensive presence on the wing with the ball coming out. Not to mention the old chugging back and forth all day long linking up for us. I do think the team structure needs to support him there however and in 2013 or so we didnt do that enough.

We will see.

GO Catters

Will add as well that quite often the best thing you can do against a quick player is force them to defend and chase a lot. Generally a lot of these blistering types are very comfortable atacking but struggle to defend constantly and get thrown off their game if executed properly. Hopefully Blicavs extensive mileage running up and down the length of the ground can have this effect creating his opponents to shift to a defensive mindset come the second half.

Will add as well that quite often the best thing you can do against a quick player is force them to defend and chase a lot. Generally a lot of these blistering types are very comfortable atacking but struggle to defend constantly and get thrown off their game if executed properly. Hopefully Blicavs extensive mileage running up and down the length of the ground can have this effect creating his opponents to shift to a defensive mindset come the second half.

An amazing story of an athletic footballer with incredible endurance who has improved out of sight over the journey so far.
Has played everything from 2nd ruck , mid , tagger and wing so far and still could end up as a defender or aerobic CHF :eek:
Looks like it's wing this year with an emphasis on using his endurance to cover both ends - a good move IMO provided he gets to more spots to be a marking option and if he can get forward to set up or kick a few snags himself. If he can do all of that and nudge an average of 20 possessions he could be All Australian ! :)

Great to hear that the club has a culture like this.

And good thing caddy f’ed off

Always great hearing the respect and leadership qualities of our players, that they are genuine good people behind the cameras as well.

While it may not be specific to Geelong, it is very important for the players to interact with their supporters, agreed.

I've had the privilege of meeting a few players over the years + have found them all to be friendly, gracious + responsive. I think one of the best qualities that I've noticed is they actually listen. Very rare now, many people just assume they know what someone is going to say.

Cockatoo is just THE most precious guy, utterly delightful + has a contagious laugh.

Found Varcoe very shy, until I dropped the F-bomb, he snerked + after that would not shut up! Another wonderful character, great friends with Chappy + Hunt.

I really enjoy seeing how the Boyz interact with one another.

The other really touching thing is the enormous love for Gaz, ALL the players adore him!

I think it's been incredible to watch the friendship/respect/fondness between Selwood + Dangerfield develop. Danger is so excited that Gaz (childhood hero) is back at Geelong. I think it reflects that while new players need a while to become a cohesive part of the team, there is genuine respect/fondness/enthusiasm - Danger just slotted into the team beautifully, thinking/hoping Gaz does too.

Scarlo's comment in his interview, that the Kittens are just in awe of Gaz + they stand together in wonderment of him is heart-warming. Again, shows that players like Scarlo really like him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's not stink up the AFLX thread any more.

giphy.gif

While it may not be specific to Geelong, it is very important for the players to interact with their supporters, agreed.

I've had the privilege of meeting a few players over the years + have found them all to be friendly, gracious + responsive. I think one of the best qualities that I've noticed is they actually listen. Very rare now, many people just assume they know what someone is going to say.

Cockatoo is just THE most precious guy, utterly delightful + has a contagious laugh.

Found Varcoe very shy, until I dropped the F-bomb, he snerked + after that would not shut up! Another wonderful character, great friends with Chappy + Hunt.

I really enjoy seeing how the Boyz interact with one another.

The other really touching thing is the enormous love for Gaz, ALL the players adore him!

I think it's been incredible to watch the friendship/respect/fondness between Selwood + Dangerfield develop. Danger is so excited that Gaz (childhood hero) is back at Geelong. I think it reflects that while new players need a while to become a cohesive part of the team, there is genuine respect/fondness/enthusiasm - Danger just slotted into the team beautifully, thinking/hoping Gaz does too.

Scarlo's comment in his interview, that the Kittens are just in awe of Gaz + they stand together in wonderment of him is heart-warming. Again, shows that players like Scarlo really like him.
Almost a tear-jerking post Kitty, and I'm serious.

He is a solid B grade player. Nothing more nothing less. He hasn’t done anything more at Richmond performance wise he didn’t do at Geelong.

Would you prefer Parfitt or caddy??

I am happy to keep Parfitt

They're very different players. I see Parfitt moving into midfield eventually (doesn't need to do it this year obviously). His development looks very encouraging so far. I'm not sure Caddy even can play midfield for long now, but they managed to make a niche position for him which worked well for the team.

Key position wherever. I think his marking has gone to another level.
CHB is probably his ideal position he will run with any CHF in the comp with interest. Super competitive as well.

Last edited:
They're very different players. I see Parfitt moving into midfield eventually (doesn't need to do it this year obviously). His development looks very encouraging so far. I'm not sure Caddy even can play midfield for long now, but they managed to make a niche position for him which worked well for the team.

Agree. I am very happy with Parfitt and think he will be a great player long term, better than caddy.

Happy for caddy at Richmond and all the best to him.

I don’t think either Richmond or Geelong could feel they lost on the real, win win situation

Could be the closest thing to a win/win you can get I reckon, Caddy will have an ok career at the Tigers (I think he's hit his ceiling myself, an ok role player) and has snared a flag while I think Parfitt will be a better player for the Cats than Caddy ever would have.

Almost a tear-jerking post Kitty, and I'm serious.
Thank you Vdubs, I'm touched you liked it.

I think we're very fortunate that our team has such a great culture + it's heartening to know they put so much effort into the players' development on all levels.

Find it hard to find a place for Blitz the way the game is evolving. Whilst his athleticism is off the charts, his decision making, skills and lack of awareness are the concerns. Those are the sort of things the oppostion target - the weakest link for want of better wording. With GAJ, Crameri (if fit), Cam Guthie (back from injury) and 2 or 3 daftees likely to be given game time, think he will struggle unless there are injuries.

Find it hard to find a place for Blitz the way the game is evolving. Whilst his athleticism is off the charts, his decision making, skills and lack of awareness are the concerns. Those are the sort of things the oppostion target - the weakest link for want of better wording. With GAJ, Crameri (if fit), Cam Guthie (back from injury) and 2 or 3 daftees likely to be given game time, think he will struggle unless there are injuries.

I don’t think his decision making or his skills are bad at all. A 199cm elite runner is extremely hard to come by, and used correctly can be a real weapon. I was at a game in 2015 when Blitz was playing a kick behind the ball and intercepting everything. That’s his role. A defensive wingman if you like.

Back