Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Ruck

Votes: 12 10.3%
  • Utility

Votes: 31 26.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmmmm.

A question, Blitz has elite athletic endurance, but how is he on speed? He has mobility + agility, but needs to react to the play faster.

Blitz best games against contenders were:
  • Port with 19 D - 5 I50s + One goal - his 100th game;
  • Crows with 18 D - Blitz (+ Scooter) tagged Sloane well, limiting him to 23 mediocre touches, Crows struggled to get the ball without him.
Geelong has said not to be surprised if Blitz plays forward, back, wing, or centre square. The coaches love him because he takes their direction well + contributes enormously to the team.

I reckon it's concerning that he's going to be moved all over the place. Sometimes, Scott's versatility requirement can be at the expense of the player.

There are other players who already play that outside role better, moving the ball forward. Duncan especially.

There's no spot for Blitz at CHB, our defence is deep with Kittens coming along.

He's done some tagging, great at times, not so great at other times - does he need to be given that tagging role + totally focus on developing his skills? Or does Scooter own that role?

He's played a bit of Ruck + played forward.

How would playing relief Ruck + Utility suit Blitz? He has the run with ability + his tackling is good. Blitz + JSelwood won the tackles for two consecutive seasons (IIRC).

Sounds like Blitz will be the finger in the dyke, moving around to plug holes.

I'd prefer to see him settled in a specific role, although, all this moving him around could be to develop him as a footballer.
That role is utility apparently, which he seems to love, and renders him nearly first player selected weekly because he can go everywhere.
Strength rather than problem imho.
But I see him taking over that Lonergan role ultimately. He has ALL the attributes and can run his forward to exhaustion.

Last edited:
The hair style may be poor at the moment, but full credit for his interaction with the fans today. He was directed to sign autographs for those at the far end of the Premiership Stand (most who had been signing in that area would sign for half-a-dozen or so bays before jogging back towards the race). When Blitz signed my guernsey he was one bay to the right of the players dugout - he was signing autographs, taking photos & selfies for any fans who had come out today and were waiting.

I understand that players have schedules they have to stick to - but watching the way Blitz & some of the younger guys conducted themselves today (signing autographs the length of the players race, even where it meant someone dropping a ball, autograph book or guernsey & them then throwing it back once signed), it was great to see them giving the time to the fans.

That role is utility apparently, which he seems to love, and renders him nearly first player selected weekly because he can go everywhere.
Strength rather than problem imho.
I voted 'Utility' + also said a bit of Ruck, when Smith needs a breather. Blitz is another player who the coaches have said relishes learning new roles, which has to be part of his development as a footballer. Well Blitz has said he loves it.

Yeah, definitely a strength, although I reckon he needs to improve his disposal a bit. While I like the way Blitz pauses to decide on the best option, his thought process has to be faster, he gets caught with the ball. Still, I think that will come with his development, has a bit to go yet.

The hair style may be poor at the moment, but full credit for his interaction with the fans today. He was directed to sign autographs for those at the far end of the Premiership Stand (most who had been signing in that area would sign for half-a-dozen or so bays before jogging back towards the race). When Blitz signed my guernsey he was one bay to the right of the players dugout - he was signing autographs, taking photos & selfies for any fans who had come out today and were waiting.

I understand that players have schedules they have to stick to - but watching the way Blitz & some of the younger guys conducted themselves today (signing autographs the length of the players race, even where it meant someone dropping a ball, autograph book or guernsey & them then throwing it back once signed), it was great to see them giving the time to the fans.
After time + lots of success, some players seem to get too big for their boots. Selwood + Tomahawk are not. StevieJ could be snotty at times. Mackie's wife would screech at him from their car to hurry up, when he was leaving KP after a game lol

Perhaps arrogance or complacency makes them forget that they're only playing because of the supporters.

Maybe the question should be is there a position for Blitz,in my view since the demise of third man up,(careful googling that)he is being picked in part to spell Smith in the ruck a job more suited to Stanley who is also a better footballer better CHF but also can go missing for huge parts of a game,I question his work ethics and willingness to put his head over the pill at times as well.

We all agree Blitz will give 100% every week and I expect that's why he's getting the nod even though his ruck work is no more than tokenisum and will continue to be picked until that relief ruck man/key position player (Mitch Clark type) emerges.
I can't see a lot changing with the Blitz and the way Scott sets the side up and uses him this season,always looks a bit unbalanced to me but what would I know.

Tall long elite tank pretty good footballer absolutely has a role in an AFL team. I forget was there an article or an interview where someone from the club said he will be playing more as a mobile intercept defender / leading link forward? Like rocket science, tall dude who can run playing as a tall dude who can run.

Tall long elite tank pretty good footballer absolutely has a role in an AFL team. I forget was there an article or an interview where someone from the club said he will be playing more as a mobile intercept defender / leading link forward? Like rocket science, tall dude who can run playing as a tall dude who can run.
jeez, I dunno, that almost makes too much sense

:)

He will run all day but at around Hymie pace for the Get Smart fans.

If you want to get more technical then defined positions don't even really exist anymore in the modern game.

I'd say even if you don't use the older terms and prefer newer nomenclature, that key forward, key defender, ruckman, small forward, small defender, inside midfielder, and outside midfielder absolutely exist.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say even if you don't use the older terms and prefer newer nomenclature, that key forward, key defender, ruckman, small forward, small defender, inside midfielder, and outside midfielder absolutely exist.
Sure. They even still refer to outside midfielders as wings quite often, but thats a role in a dynamic structure instead of an actual part of the ground to patrol.

In that context it's possible to transition through multiple on field roles in the same passage of play as circumstances require, which is the sort of thing I would expect from a big guy that can run both ways.

Another article on Blitz.

Blitz to play as an Outside Midfielder in 2018

"17 January 2018

514584-tlsnewslandscape.jpg

Expect to see Mark Blicavs bounding up and down the wing for the Cats in 2018.

That’s according to assistant coach Nigel Lappin who said that he and fellow coaches will look to play to the big man’s strengths this season.

“The positions that we’ll use Mark in are ones that utilise his strengths. He is an amazing transition runner for us and he is able to do that when he plays as an outside mid,” Lappin told the Geelong Advertiser.

“He understands the wing role really well and gets back to support the defence, which you need, and he can get forward at the right time to take a mark as a third up jumper.

“So he will play those outside midfield roles for us at times and I know he has been doing a little bit of training this preseason as a link up forward as well, as one of those guys who can help us find a release out of defence, work his opponent over and be able to lead up at the right time."
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2018-01-17/strengths-key-to-blitz-

you can add sweeping/rebound defender and defensive forward and midfield tagger. There are clearly still many positions. Just not the same as before. Utility, however, is not a position in the past, now or in the future. Its very definition means it cant be a position.

"17 January 2018

That’s according to assistant coach Nigel Lappin who said that he and fellow coaches will look to play to the big man’s strengths this season.

“The positions that we’ll use Mark in are ones that utilise his strengths. He is an amazing transition runner for us and he is able to do that when he plays as an outside mid,” Lappin told the Geelong Advertiser.

“He understands the wing role really well and gets back to support the defence, which you need, and he can get forward at the right time to take a mark as a third up jumper.

“So he will play those outside midfield roles for us at times and I know he has been doing a little bit of training this preseason as a link up forward as well, as one of those guys who can help us find a release out of defence, work his opponent over and be able to lead up at the right time."
so no change from the status quo. we will continue to be smashed on the transition through using tall and relatively slow players on the wings. When is the announcement that kolo will play on the opposite wing?

"17 January 2018

Stopped reading right here.

Despite the changes to the third man up rule that saw his hitouts drop significantly in 2017, Lappin also believes Blicavs can play a key ruck role for the club in 2018.

We feel like Mark is a really good second ruckman and there is potential for Mark to be our number one ruckman some games as well depending on match-ups, but it is hard for him sometimes against the really big monsters,” he said.

The bits left unbolded I agree with 100%

so no change from the status quo. we will continue to be smashed on the transition through using tall and relatively slow players on the wings. When is the announcement that kolo will play on the opposite wing?

That was my initial reaction when reading that, an article telling us that he's going to be doing, well pretty much as he's been doing for some time, no great revelations there.

"17 January 2018

Absolutely brilliant decision.

Look at my post above saying the exact same thing regarding where he should play.

Will be a decision we will not regret playing him there

Look at my post above saying the exact same thing regarding where he should play.

I know it was only a brief period, but every time I see the words "Blitz" and "wing" I get flashbacks of Bradley Hill on the outer side of the MCG just torching him - want to say 2013 PF but happy to be corrected - Partridge can probably shed light on it - as I remember him not loving it :sick: -

Not saying its been done before and wont work - we are a different team now to then - but if he plays there IMO it needs to have some different structure to it. And running the wings all day is one thing - doing it at high pace is another.

Happy to wait and see how it goes.

GO Catters

Yep can't wait for this.

Krock commentary.
The ball finishes with Bews in the back pocket who immediately dishes it off to Taylor and quickly onto 2E all by hand who in turn pumps the ball long to the wing where Blicavs works his man under the ball and takes a good mark goes back assesses his options forward has a quick glance in the center of the MCG and decides to go backwards looking for Kolajazknee on the opposite half back flank,oh no he has turned it over and the Hawks stroll in for an easy goal through Jarrod Roughead.

Last edited:
Back