The Association Football Cricket thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We have some blokes that just turn up exactly when they are needed. Wouldn't have said many players looked in form going into the series but all of Green, Marnus, Marsh (was in form) and Carey stood up right when they were needed.

Massive choke in the end from NZ. Against SA, India or England they find those final 6 wickets today. But they'll struggle to ever beat us in test cricket. The mental damage is too great

Phenomenal from Carey. Deserved a century, but that doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Well played from Marsh and Cummins at the end too.

I still stand by that our batting order needs to be rejigged. I get there's no stand-out alternatives, but going in with the same top order vs India will be a disaster.

The opening few rounds of the next Shield season will be telling, hopefully a few can put their hands up with some big scores.

As for NZ, we're not a monkey on their back, we're King Kong. There won't be many better chances to win than that one.

Southee's captaincy in the opening session was awful. Got the start they needed and he just let the game fall back our way. Should have gone harder at a fresh Carey but lacked conviction. And giving just one over to Phillips was a laughable decision

That's for sure. India will kill us over there.
Here.

And we beat them in England in the WTC final with only Marsh missing from the lineup.

You don't think with Pak and WI this summer and India next summer that if we had the players we'd not have made the move this summer to let them settle in.

That we haven't says all we need to know about the thoughts on the options next in line.

Doesn't get better than this.

What a win this'll be.

Missed the last 20 minutes, damn. Just catching up now. It was enthralling viewing up until then, always enjoy watching contests like this.

When New Zealand roared back to life with that double strike and still 60 odd to get with 7 wickets down, I still had that feeling they’d botch it.

As JD and others have said, it’s just that they can’t get it done against Australia. As good a chance as they’ll have to notch a Test win against Australia however somehow/someway they can’t. Just like Cronje and other eras, it’s their white whale.

Here.

And we beat them in England in the WTC final with only Marsh missing from the lineup.

You don't think with Pak and WI this summer and India next summer that if we had the players we'd not have made the move this summer to let them settle in.

That we haven't says all we need to know about the thoughts on the options next in line.
I agree with you, there's nothing coming through in shield.

But let's not pretend we've got great batsman in this team. Would be the weakest batting lineup we've had in forever.

Would be the weakest batting lineup we've had in forever.
Oh how easily the routed by SA for under 100 days have been forgotten.

Warner
Burns
Khawaja
Smith (C)
Voges
Ferguson
Nevill

Renshaw, Handscomb, Wade, S.Marsh, M.Marsh and Maddinson also played that series.
11 bats and 2 keepers in a 3 test series.

But let's not pretend we've got great batsman in this team. Would be the weakest batting lineup we've had in forever.
I dont think the line up is bad. They are just not at the peak form we are used to. But they are truly all great in their own right, and there's always one or two of the seven who stand up, out of nowhere when we need them to.

By no means is this side as great as the ones we grew up with. They always had 3 or 4 batsmen in amazing nick. And we won easily very often. This side has that intangible winning culture that sees them win without any of them really dominating from the top 7

Still better than Smith opening
Eh, six one half dozen the other. It'd be a sideways move.

We've had less talented batting line-ups, the issue is that a whole bunch of them are out of form at the same time (in the case of Smudge and Uzzie, the end looks to be approaching).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We are lucky that we have our best bowling line-up in two decades. Our weakness with the bat isn't exposed too often.

We are lucky that we have our best bowling line-up in two decades. Our weakness with the bat isn't exposed too often.
Two decades? McGrath, Gillespie, Warne etc. played within the last 2 decades.

They're certainly second best but I'm taking the bowling attack with pidge and Warnie every day of the week.

They're certainly second best but I'm taking the bowling attack with pidge and Warnie every day of the week.
Last time they all played together was what, 2004/5?

Burns
Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Voges
Ferguson
Nevill
Burns was s**t
Warner was good at the time
Khawaja probably wasn't as good back then from memory
Smith was amazing, 10 times the player he currently is
Voges averaged 61 in tests.
Ferguson played 1 test.
Nevill was definitely an ordinary batsman.

Overall you're probably right. There not far away from that right now though.

If you want to be a pedant let's say 19 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back