The Association Football AFL Thread 3.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, again though that doesn't mean they only care about their team and not sure there's too much proof to back it up. People will consume footy media because they love the game and love talking about it.
I would definitely be curious to see some background information on it.

As in, I wonder if they run surveys to determine what areas to focus on for higher ratings etc.

I would definitely be curious to see some background information on it.

As in, I wonder if they run surveys to determine what areas to focus on for higher ratings etc.

I don't think they talk about Carlton as much as Essendon (as an example). Richmond who are a massive club are barely talked about because they're s**t, whereas if they were talking about clubs based on popularity they'd still be talked about every night. I think Essendon get talked about a lot because Robbo is a Bombers supporter, Pies get talked about a lot because they're the biggest club. Even Geelong don't get talked about as much as (arguably) they deserve.

For the record, anyone that voluntarily tunes in to listen to the drunk ramble on every night deserves to lose brain cells.

Tonight will be especially bad as he's an Essendon supporter.

I prefer First Crack and Couch as they have pretty reasonable discussions but they aren't much better in terms of the bias.

It's why Saints/Bulldogs fans etc also probably don't tune in a whole lot. They get very little exposure either.

True, we are only relevant to the certain media types wanting Bevos head on a pike(they just want blood, not discuss how we're going). There is a few. Outside of that we arent relevant, I guess only the big 4 in Melbourne really are.

True, we are only relevant to the certain media types wanting Bevos head on a pike(they just want blood, not discuss how we're going). There is a few. Outside of that we arent relevant, I guess only the big 4 in Melbourne really are.

You seemed to be the key focus across all footy media last week though following your loss to the Hawks. I'm not quite sure I buy the 'only the popular teams gets focussed on'. When the matches/results dictate, certain teams get focussed on, unless they're not from Victoria.

I don't think they talk about Carlton as much as Essendon (as an example). Richmond who are a massive club are barely talked about because they're s**t, whereas if they were talking about clubs based on popularity they'd still be talked about every night. I think Essendon get talked about a lot because Robbo is a Bombers supporter, Pies get talked about a lot because they're the biggest club. Even Geelong don't get talked about as much as (arguably) they deserve.
I'd have to take your word on it, I don't watch it like I used to. Always felt like the 'big 4' especially were pretty well covered. Think during our big run last season we got our fair share.

Not surprised by Geelong/Hawthorn either. They fall into the Bulldogs/Saints category from before.

You seemed to be the key focus across all footy media last week though following your loss to the Hawks. I'm not quite sure I buy the 'only the popular teams gets focussed on'. When the matches/results dictate, certain teams get focussed on, unless they're not from Victoria.
I think that's kind of the point though. The big clubs get talked about regardless of the matchups/results where as everyone else only gets the exposure when that lines up.

I think that's kind of the point though. The big clubs get talked about regardless of the matchups/results where as everyone else only gets the exposure when that lines up.

Other than interstate teams, which you're right, was my point.

As I said, usually I don't and it obviously doesn't impact the team, it's just weeks like this that highlight how bad it is.

Is it really that bad? I watched First Crack on Sunday night and they spent at least 3-4 minutes discussing how good Chad Warner has been and how good the Sydney defensive pressure has been.

Lloyd on TFS was extremely complimentary of Sydney on Sunday morning.

What more are you looking for from them?

Is it really that bad? I watched First Crack on Sunday night and they spent at least 3-4 minutes discussing how good Chad Warner has been and how good the Sydney defensive pressure has been.

Lloyd on TFS was extremely complimentary of Sydney on Sunday morning.

What more are you looking for from them?

Lloyd mentioning the Swans was almost like a charity gesture considering they didn't actually talk about our game with Freo. As I actually started by saying, there's a narrative that they can't read too much into Freo's performance because of McCarthy as an excuse to dismiss the game, but will happily talk up Bombers for beating another of McCarthy's clubs.

First Crack talk about every game so of course they had to pull out something to mention from our game, but I'm referring to them making a point of saying the flag race is wide open and that any team can beat any other on their day and that there's no clear favourite. It was almost to the point of deliberately going out of their way to dismiss the Swans. Which was then funny because they all had the Swans as their number one seed which was brushed over about as quickly as possible at the end of the show (and stunk a little bit of King having Freo in his top 4 for weeks on end to try to bat away all the complaints from Freo fans that he's overly critical of them). Like Lloyd's comments it's basically the token "well we're showing we rate you/like you so what are you complaining about"

Lloyd mentioning the Swans was almost like a charity gesture considering they didn't actually talk about our game with Freo. As I actually started by saying, there's a narrative that they can't read too much into Freo's performance because of McCarthy as an excuse to dismiss the game, but will happily talk up Bombers for beating another of McCarthy's clubs.

First Crack talk about every game so of course they had to pull out something to mention from our game, but I'm referring to them making a point of saying the flag race is wide open and that any team can beat any other on their day and that there's no clear favourite. It was almost to the point of deliberately going out of their way to dismiss the Swans. Which was then funny because they all had the Swans as their number one seed which was brushed over about as quickly as possible at the end of the show (and stunk a little bit of King having Freo in his top 4 for weeks on end to try to bat away all the complaints from Freo fans that he's overly critical of them). Like Lloyd's comments it's basically the token "well we're showing we rate you/like you so what are you complaining about"

Yeah fair enough. I always thought On the Couch gave the Swans a fair go throughout the years but maybe that was the Gerard Healy factor when he use to host.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

stopped watching all those shows years ago. If you follow an interstate club there's no point unless something bad has happened or good players want to go to victoria
There is also such a thing as oversaturation. AFL creating their own content has proved that. Gettable is the worst of the lot, Daily Mail levels of trash.

Got to love all the commotion about the rest of the draw and who's got it easy/hard.

Carlton's has come out easy...because we've had a hard start to the season. Vice versa with Essendon. Surely not that difficult a concept to grasp.

End of the day you have to win the games. Hard or easy draw, it doesn’t really matter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back