The Ashes

Remove this Banner Ad

We've only lost 3 of 4 matches so far and have even been competitive for periods. We're doing a lot better than I expected.

England have been worse than I expected, and we've been a bit better than I expected.

But, at the end of the day, at crunch times in the matches played so far, England have had someone stand up and make a difference. Yesterday arvo it was Broad. Generally when we've really needed someone to stand up and dig in, it hasn't happened. It's been those moments that we haven't seized that has cost us.

^^ that.

England aren't that good... Their top order has been flaky all series, and Bairstow offers very little at 6. Bell has been obviously their best bat, he is a high class player.

Anderson has gone off the boil since the first Test, but as you say they have others to step up when needed such as Broad and Swann.

Our batting is still a shambles. Watson needs to go, but there is no one to really replace him with. Warner is an opener, we know that now. Rogers has brought some spine to proceedings. Khawaja has been frustrating... I feel like he is one or two big innings away from the belief and confidence he needs to take the step up to the level required. In the meantime though he has had some terrible luck, which does not help. He should get an extended run but at the end of the day we can't carry him at #3 on potential alone for much longer. I really hope he comes on soon, he is all class. Smith is alright I guess, has been quiet the last few innings though. Clarke is a gun but his 2012 form is past him now with back issues etc. Has carried the team too much of late.

Time to get this rolling again.

Surely Bailey gets the nod at #6 given his recent form in India, the man can bat.

Can't see Clarke lasting far past this summer - the World Cup might be his last gig as a player before the back just stops his career completely.

Do we still have crazy selectors? Yes we do Barry. It'll probably be someone terrible like Scott Henry from NSW.

Bailey hasn't done himself any harm with the series in India though, and I reckon you're right in that he will get the nod. At least we'll have a pretty good idea what our best XI is this time around.

A man goes to the library and asks to borrow a book on suicide. "**** off," The librarian whispers, "you won't bring it back."

Time to get this rolling again.

Surely Bailey gets the nod at #6 given his recent form in India, the man can bat.

Can't see Clarke lasting far past this summer - the World Cup might be his last gig as a player before the back just stops his career completely.

Which will be another reason why bailey will get the nod , huge leadership vacuum when pup leaves

Our batting depth is just deplorable

If we brought back the 06 batting line up it would still out perform this one

Winters nights, tea, proper commentators, history > Sweltering days, Tubby and Slats, Megawall etc.

Not particularly looking forward to this series, but I never do enjoy the Australian ones.

The commentary team is what ****s me the most. When I watch a test match, it's because I want to actually appreciate the sport and be in it for the slog. 5 straight days of whiz bang look at that Davey Warner just gets unbearable. It's like BT and Darce commentating every game on a given weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentary teams have been pretty awful for a while now. I remember when they tried to replace Richie with Simon O'Donnell...

I'll take Holding, Benaud, Gower and Bumble. Chuck Lawry in as well if you need a bit of enthusiasm.

I enjoy the Ashes over here as well. Sometimes a bit of cricket gets you through the workday that much faster.

Winters nights, tea, proper commentators, history > Sweltering days, Tubby and Slats, Megawall etc.

Not particularly looking forward to this series, but I never do enjoy the Australian ones.

The commentary team is what ****s me the most. When I watch a test match, it's because I want to actually appreciate the sport and be in it for the slog. 5 straight days of whiz bang look at that Davey Warner just gets unbearable. It's like BT and Darce commentating every game on a given weekend.
Almost always listen to the Grandstand team rather than watch cricket these days, even when I do get the chance to sit in front of a TV. Chanel 9 aren't a great soundtrack to the game and I'm not expecting FM radio to be any better. Still if it makes money for CA it's a good thing, right?

Had to laugh at James Sutherland saying Australians would never doctor pitches: you're telling me there was just a spontaneous outbreak of green grass growing in the middle of cricket grounds Australai-wide in the presence of the Indian team when they toured last?

It saddens me that he's genuinely one of our better bats. The boob coming out and saying "England fear us" when they slapped us up not 2 months ago is comical. Such a gormless twit.

England aren't as good as they think they are. Australia is better than the results in the English summer Ashes series suggested.

As so it is coming to pass that peace and order is being restored to the International cricket village. England - fragile and sucking the big one against a rampant Australia.

I know it can all still, and possibly will, go horribly pear-shaped....

I'm not a big cricket fan but that was a really good test I thought. The shambles of our top order on day one, then the fightback, then English capitulation twice. Still early days in the series though and I can't imagine England will play that bad again ever.
Also feeling a bit about Warner and Johnson as I do about Heath Shaw or Hayden Ballantyne. Good players (albeit inconsistently) but also dickheads.

This popped up in an email from a mate today:

Warner getting a hundred is like your mum raising funds by doing a naked calendar - good for the cause, but you're not happy about it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back