The art of the King

Remove this Banner Ad

Couldn't find a dedicated thread on Duck but come across something Ive only picked up now after watching a few of his tapes.

In the marking contest with a clear run at it Wayne was unstoppable. But it was the one on one contest and marking everything that came his way, be it a Schwass bullet or Simpson helicopter- he clunked it each and every time.
Not only was he strong above the waist with vice like hands but his ability to position his body, using his hips to hold off his opponent was 2nd to none.

But coupled with this and what done it for me was on the fall of the ball, Wayne would use his arms (or elbows) to nudge his opponent off him, somewhat illegally lol with a nice swing and temporarily blind the defender and then proceed to take the mark.

It was an art so easy to get wrong yet this guy had the presence of mind to perfect it and become the best there ever was.

I was born the year he was drafted and his time was before I had even began high school, tho I take pride in the fact he was my hero growing up and I got to see him live as a child.

We will never see one like him again.

Watch his first goal in the 1999 Grand Final. His body work in the marking contest to push off Silvagni (who was all over him like a cheap suit) was absolutely superb. Dunstall even says on the commentary that he made it look so easy but it was far, far from it.

Watch his first goal in the 1999 Grand Final. His body work in the marking contest to push off Silvagni (who was all over him like a cheap suit) was absolutely superb. Dunstall even says on the commentary that he made it look so easy but it was far, far from it.
Did we take it for granted what we were witnessing? A player who when the ball was kicked forward to you could close your eyes knowing 9 times out of 10 he would mark it?
The saying we all walked taller when he was in his prime is oh so true. Magnificent bastard.

Did we take it for granted what we were witnessing? A player who when the ball was kicked forward to you could close your eyes knowing 9 times out of 10 he would mark it?
The saying we all walked taller when he was in his prime is oh so true. Magnificent bastard.
I don't think we took him for granted at all. We knew what we had, it it was beyond unbelievable!

It annoys me a tad whenever there's a CHF dominating most weeks, whether it was Riewoldt, Brown or whoever, there'd always be the comparison to Wayne Carey and whether they're as good or will be as good. Carey was Carey which was what made him the figure he was. There will never be another one like him.

His 1994 preliminary final when he was supposedly under an injury cloud was monumental. But as usual, part of what made him a great leader was he would always deliver on the big stage.

In 1999, SOS was having a good game and he was moved into the middle, because he could deliver there too. A pivotal move.

By 2001 though, his body was wrecked from the toll his type of game took.

I don't think we took him for granted at all. We knew what we had, it it was beyond unbelievable!

Phillyroo, I never took any game that Wayne played for granted, he was strong in so many aspects. He could pick the ball up off the ground like a rover, his handballs were lethal and his marking prowess unbelievable. He'd rip the heart out of a side in 5 minutes of brilliance. He always stood up for the players and loved a push and shove. I loved the way he'd engage the umpires in conversation as they were trying to run back to the centre to bounce the ball. However I did it take for granted that Wayne would always be around our club and held in high regard. But the end of his career at North was like a Shakespearian tragedy. Still got his framed jumper on display - No 18. The best.

His entire career pretty much went in front of my eyes (starting from 1991), and I clearly remember thinking during some game in mid 1990s, how will we ever survive when he eventually retires? He was the club, it seemed at the time.

People ask about the best player I've seen in my time and without a breathe I say Wayne Carey. Then there's the accusations of bias etc etc.

I just tell them they have no idea.

A couple of pre-seasons ago the Bombers played Collingwood at Docklands in one of the Mickey-Mouse games (Explanation - half my family barrack for Essendon). It was that small window when Jack Anthony actually did something while he played for the Pies (I DID say "small" window).

Sitting in my North gear (of course) I was chatting to this thousand-year-old lady next to me who was wearing her 50 year Collingwood membership badge with pride (fair enough too - regardless of the club). The conversation spanned some great decades of footy (and yes, it was great to hear that '77 STILL burned!!).

At one stage, down the Lockett end Jack Anthony, right in front of the Collingwood cheer squad, took a big mark, floating across the pack, busting it open and taking it on his chest. I suddenly had this boney elbow poking me in the ribs. She said with a big grin "Look familiar, eh?" I had to admit it did. Classic Carey-style mark.

I said "Yep. Now lets see him do it at least half-a-dozen times a game - every game before you even bother mentioning him in the same sentence as Carey."

She took that pretty damn well actually. She thought for a moment and then said "We only ever saw him twice a season and wanted him to play badly of course. Was he REALLY that good?"

I said "Shit yeah" then apologised. It was reflex. The conversation went on like that but she accepted it, putting up the odd name for comparison and whether I'd seen them play or not.

For a Collingwood supporter, she was quite knowledgeable, but especially quite fair in her opinions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i like the king better:
1024px-Velvet_Elvis_Presley_painting.jpg

I think Carey's marking is a bit overstated sometimes actually tazaa .

He could tear an opponent to shreds yes, but that was also an area of his game the best defenders could still keep on top of him (especially after shoulder surgery) and there's been other great marks over the years.

For mine he is the most rounded KPF I have seen and that is why he is the best ever;
- Excellent mark
- Exceptional kick off both feet
- Quick for his size
- Extremely tough/courageous
- Quality ground level ability
- Very smart
- Leadership
and so on.

He took bucket loads of great marks no doubt, but for mine it was only a facet of his game, not something I remember in addition to all the rest he provided.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back