The AFL wants 22 teams. Name your next four.

Remove this Banner Ad

In Perth, West Coast matches averaged 74,000 – down 22% – while Fremantle games fared worse – down 28% YoY and averaged 69,000. The Western Derby rated 155,000 and 154,000. Games involving neither Perth side averaged 45,000.
The poor ratings in Perth rules out the Joondalup bid.
Sure thing, let’s just completely ignore the poor performances in 2023 of the two WA teams because that couldn’t have any effect on their ratings. West Coast had statistically one of the worst seasons in living memory (18th with a % of 53), while Fremantle also had a disappointing year, finishing 14th after making a semi final in 2022. It’s no surprise that both clubs didn’t rate well.

No, apparently all you need is Tassie and the NT according to many of the idiots in footy media.
the NT is unsustainable and feral as it will be too hard to do at the moment, plus there's a reason the NTFL is a summer league it is very hard to play footy there in the winter consistently due to the humidity and other factors, honsetly the NT doesn't matter Canberra is more important

GWS moving their secondary market to Newcastle, allowing a Canberra team to enter and own everything south down to the border (playing a home game in Wagga and Albury every year) makes way too much sense to me.

After that I have no idea, because I don't see the Northern Territory as a genuine option due to population, climate and location.
100% agree on this, Newcastle would be great for GWS and a Canberra team is needed but GWS need another market elsewhere which newcastle is perfect

There are 30,000 registered players already in NZ - the potential for it to be no. 22 is enormous
I think Canberra, New Zealand and Newcastle should be the next three teams after Tassie. I think the AFL would prefer a 3rd team in the largest state before they ever see one in WA or SA or even QLD.

Northern Territory and North Queensland as teams 23 and 24 if they ever become viable but I’d wait at least 50 years before looking at either of them.

Last edited:
Sure thing, let’s just completely ignore the poor performances in 2023 of the two WA teams because that couldn’t have any effect on their ratings. West Coast had statistically one of the worst seasons in living memory (18th with a % of 53), while Fremantle also had a disappointing year, finishing 14th after making a semi final in 2022. It’s no surprise that both clubs didn’t rate well.
Broncos finished with the wooden spoon in 2020, yet were the most watched team.

NRL Ratings were down in Sydney dropped 9.07% to an average of 184,000, while ratings in Brisbane were down 7.52% to an average of 116,000.​
To no ones surprise, the Broncos were the most watched NRL team in the 2020 H&A season.​

Then why aren't the Giants playing 3 games a year in Newcastle instead of Canberra?

Apparently they didn't get the memo about the benefits of playing there?

It takes years to build growth and support. We don't even know if Newcastle will be hosting any AFL games after team 20 enters the competition, let alone before.

As an untested market, they really can't be in the equation yet, it's the same thing with New Zealand.
Newcastle is considered Swans territory why would GWS play up there?

It would be a very good thing if the Swans took some of our preseason games up there or games with low pulling away support like the Gold Coast.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could be wrong but I am convinced GRA is the same nuffie who goes by the name Get Rid of the Donkeys on RL forum League Unlimited. If it is him it is best to ignore him.

It absolutely is. I know I should ignore him, but I can't help myself when the information is so easily refutable. Apologies for feeding the troll.

It absolutely is. I know I should ignore him, but I can't help myself when the information is so easily refutable. Apologies for feeding the troll.
I've been guilty of feeding that troll many times but I learned the best course of action is to put him on ignore. If that Pom twat Perth Red is in here as well he needs to go on ignore too.

Yep indeed, I think the bloke may be a few snags short of a barbie or he's just an attention seeking troll.

He probably had a big night on the xxxx and pokies at his local leagues club, was driving home and saw some Australian football goal posts being erected in another park in Brisbane and it set him off the poor fella 😅.

Option A:

20. Canberra-Riverina Rangers: 8-9 games in Canberra, 2-3 in Riverina
21. Moreton Bay Bullsharks: 8 home games at new Gabba, 3 in Sunshine Coast, 1 away derby versus Lions
22. South-West Dolphins: 8 home games in Bunbury, 3 at Optus, plus 2 away derbies versus Eagles and Dockers

Option B:

20. Perth Sharks: playing 11 home at Optus, plus 2 away derbies versus Eagles and Dockers
21. Canberra-Riverina Rangers: 8-9 games in Canberra, 2-3 in Riverina
22. Moreton Bay Bullsharks: 8 home games at new Gabba, 3 in Sunshine Coast, 1 away derby versus Lions

Pretty similar except for WA. I see WA3 as a way to even up the number of teams. If they aren't team 20, then by the time we get around to the 2050s, I could see them being viable in the south-west.

Option A:

20. Canberra-Riverina Rangers: 8-9 games in Canberra, 2-3 in Riverina
21. Moreton Bay Bullsharks: 8 home games at new Gabba, 3 in Sunshine Coast, 1 away derby versus Lions
22. South-West Dolphins: 8 home games in Bunbury, 3 at Optus, plus 2 away derbies versus Eagles and Dockers

Option B:

20. Perth Sharks: playing 11 home at Optus, plus 2 away derbies versus Eagles and Dockers
21. Canberra-Riverina Rangers: 8-9 games in Canberra, 2-3 in Riverina
22. Moreton Bay Bullsharks: 8 home games at new Gabba, 3 in Sunshine Coast, 1 away derby versus Lions

Pretty similar except for WA. I see WA3 as a way to even up the number of teams. If they aren't team 20, then by the time we get around to the 2050s, I could see them being viable in the south-west.
I like the Rangers name. I actually prefer option a too. Everyone talks about the lack of identity for WA3, so why don’t they just wait until the obvious candidate is ready?

By that stage, Freo will be a behemoth club too, so they they won’t need to worry about rushing the inclusion of a North of the river club for the purpose of stopping the Eagles fanbase from getting too big, while limiting the damage to Freo.

Wait until Freo is selling out Optus, then increase Optus to 70k seats (perhaps another 10 years). Then they can think about introducing South West another 10-20 years after that when Bunbury and the South West is big enough.

I like the Rangers name. I actually prefer option a too. Everyone talks about the lack of identity for WA3, so why don’t they just wait until the obvious candidate is ready?

By that stage, Freo will be a behemoth club too, so they they won’t need to worry about rushing the inclusion of a North of the river club for the purpose of stopping the Eagles fanbase from getting too big, while limiting the damage to Freo.

Wait until Freo is selling out Optus, then increase Optus to 70k seats (perhaps another 10 years). Then they can think about introducing South West another 10-20 years after that when Bunbury and the South West is big enough.
Yeah, I know so many things can change in 30 years, but I'd set in motion a long-term plan.

I have no idea how long it'd take to upgrade the Newcastle showgrounds, but I'd start with that after pushing for a Manuka upgrade. No Top End round until Newcastle is ready for the Hawks to play 2 games per year against the Swans and Giants at. Roos take Bendigo, Dogs take Ballarat.

Once Newcastle is ready to operate, bring in TE round and allow the Suns to concentrate on GC, and perhaps play a SC game there.

Bring in Canberra-Riverina as team 20.

Have talks with the NZ government about upgrading Auckland and getting the Saints to play a game there, preferably two.

Bring in Brisbane 2-SC and SW-WA by around 2050.

If the Auckland and Newcastle markets showed a lot of promise, then I'd consider NZ and 3rd Sydney-Newcastle teams in the far future.

As we've agreed, Tasmania 2, SA3 are unlikely to ever happen unless there's an unexpected population boom, and even if NT and NQ had that, they have to deal with floods, extreme heat, and humidity. So you could almost certainly rule them out, besides, I think people's heads would explode if there were ever 28 teams!

Last edited:
Yeah, I know so many things can change in 30 years, but I'd set in motion a long-term plan.

I have no idea how long it'd take to upgrade the Newcastle showgrounds, but I'd start with that after pushing for a Manuka upgrade. No Top End round until Newcastle is ready for the Hawks to play 2 games per year against the Swans and Giants at. Roos take Bendigo, Dogs take Ballarat.

Once Newcastle is ready to operate, bring in TE round and allow the Suns to concentrate on GC, and perhaps play a SC game there.

Bring in Canberra-Riverina as team 20.

Have talks with the NZ government about upgrading Auckland and getting the Saints to play a game there, preferably two.

Bring in Brisbane 2-SC and SW-WA by around 2050.

If the Auckland and Newcastle markets showed a lot of promise, then I'd consider NZ and 3rd Sydney-Newcastle teams in the far future.

As we've agreed, Tasmania 2, SA3 are unlikely to ever happen unless there's an unexpected population boom, and even if NT and NQ had that, they have to deal with floods, extreme heat, and humidity. So you could almost certainly rule them out, besides, I think people's heads would explode if there were ever 28 teams!
I think that 22 could be the magic number, but if it ever went to 24, then I totally agree with your suggestions and the order of establishment.

I got AI to whip up some concept logos for a South West WA side. I’ve gone with South West Pirates.

Two possible colour schemes to distinguish them from Eagles and Dockers and go with the Pirate theme:

1. Red, grey, black

2. Lime green, grey, black

Attachments

• A8E91A39-B1AD-41FC-9558-2C119E1A0034.jpeg
    A8E91A39-B1AD-41FC-9558-2C119E1A0034.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 9
  • FB229876-4E2E-4EF5-8D7E-1D805EF2A81B.jpeg
    FB229876-4E2E-4EF5-8D7E-1D805EF2A81B.jpeg
    132.7 KB · Views: 10
I think that 22 could be the magic number, but if it ever went to 24, then I totally agree with your suggestions and the order of establishment.

I got AI to whip up some concept logos for a South West WA side. I’ve gone with South West Pirates.

Two possible colour schemes to distinguish them from Eagles and Dockers and go with the Pirate theme:

1. Red, grey, black

2. Lime green, grey, black
Nice, although Bunbury is famous for its discovery centre, and dolphins, which are plentiful and friendly and some of the world's rarest, so South West Dolphins would be a pretty fitting name. So would Sharks, but Moreton Bay Bullsharks is just a perfect name for them, and dolphins can't be used by a north of Brisbane side.

I don't really believe in a magic number, I think it's dictated by the market and the population and available talent. There'd be no reason to deny New Zealand and a 3rd Sydney-Newcastle teams if there's promising developments that would indicate those new clubs would be financially successful, but certainly at this stage it looks like a huge risk, even in the far future.

ACT, WA3 and Brisbane 2-SC just make too much sense to be denied, so I see 22 teams as a minimum more than anything, but this is the AFL, and anything can happen.

Knowing them, it'll be the NT after Tassie then that's it - they'll find some backers and call it a day.

Would just be a complete waste of growth, opportunity, and adding more $$$ to the game if they pass on any of ACT, WA3, and Brisbane 2, let alone all of them.

Bearing in mind we are looking towards and up to 2050
Tas
WA 3 Perth
Canberra
SA 3 Adelaide / Brisbane 2 / WA 4 Perth / WA4 South West all subject to various factors, interest, population etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back