Rumour the AFL is forcing Hawthorn from Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

It's probably worth mentioning that with Carlton looking at shifting a game or two to the MCG any movement in Tasmania, it will likely result in us playing more and more home games at Ethiad.

Hypothetically if North were to shift 5 extra home games to Tasmania, we'd probably have a 6/5 shift of MCG/Ethiad Stadium games...

...perhaps more if the AFL purchase Ethiad and the stadium actively seeks a second high drawing anchor tenant along with Essendon

The requirement for total games at etihad goes down when carlton shift. It would be a act of vindictiveness to move us at that point

On the other matter, no one is addressing the softening attendanxpces at aurora, they are getting blase about the whole thing

I would love us to play 18 games at The G like Collingwood.
How do we make that happen?

The agreement stipulates that Collingwood play 14 home + games at the 'G

Evidently we've been scheduled to play 11 home + away games at 'G on average over the last 6 years (despite playing 4 home games each season in Tassie)

How many extra G games we'd get from returning to home games is unknown...

The requirement for total games at etihad goes down when carlton shift. It would be a act of vindictiveness to move us at that point

On the other matter, no one is addressing the softening attendanxpces at aurora, they are getting blase about the whole thing

What if North shift 4/5 extra games down to Tassie (ala 2010 rumours?)

Long term Tassy will be Norfs its in North and the AFLs best interests
50/50 split between Melb and Tas
Hawks need to find somewhere to play the low drawing teams and make a profit and not piss of fans after Tassy stops being viable.

Long term Tassy will be Norfs its in North and the AFLs best interests
50/50 split between Melb and Tas
Hawks need to find somewhere to play the low drawing teams and make a profit and not piss of fans after Tassy stops being viable.

...or negotiate a more attractive stadium deal in Melbourne and convince 50% or more of our members to rock up to lower drawing fixtures

We need to develop a support culture amongst our embers across these lower drawing games

Pretty sparse crowd the other night, a bit different from our first pre season game there. I guess they are a bit spoiled these days. Im all for the arrangement, but it has definitely peaked

Two margins less than 10 points in the last 5 years. 1 in the last three. Would be interested in seeing what the attendances would be if we played some half decent teams. Admittedly last year we played eventual grand finalists fremantle. But still, 42 points. Even that can't be classed as a really match!

Round Result Margin Scores Opponent Venue
2013 Round 17WON19 95 - 76Wstn BulldogsAurora Stad
2013 Round 14WON58 143 - 85BrisbaneAurora Stad
2013 Round 8WON 83 140 - 57GW SydneyAurora Stad
2013 Round 4WON 42 118 - 76FremantleAurora Stad
2012 Round 20WON 72 159 - 87Port AdelaideAurora Stad
2012 Round 10WON 115 174 - 59Nth MelbourneAurora Stad
2012 Round 8WON 56 119 - 63FremantleAurora Stad
2012 Round 5LOST 37 69 - 106SydneyAurora Stad
2011 Round 20WON 17 103 - 86Nth MelbourneAurora Stad
2011 Round 16WON 42 105 - 63BrisbaneAurora Stad
2011 Round 13WON 71 129 - 58Gold CoastAurora Stad
2011 Round 4WON 7 72 - 65West CoastAurora Stad
2010 Round 21WON 116 155 - 39FremantleAurora Stad
2010 Round 16WON 75 118 - 43BrisbaneAurora Stad
2010 Round 12WON 47 124 - 77AdelaideAurora Stad
2010 Round 5LOST 12 70 - 82Nth MelbourneAurora Stad
2009 Round 19LOST 25 49 - 74St KildaAurora Stad
2009 Round 15WON 9 73 - 64Nth MelbourneAurora Stad
2009 Round 12LOST 42 51 - 93BrisbaneAurora Stad
2009 Round 5WON 18 74 - 56West CoastAurora Stad

Hawks can go back to two home games in launie and one away v the roos in hobart

Win win win

If North is to be pushed down to Tassie for 7 games then that's probably a good situation for us

Need to ensure good financial arrangement for the 2 matches there and some guarantees on our 9 matches in Melbourne
ie. 3 attractive home matches against (Cats, Pies, Bombers, Blues, Tigers) every year

We can't afford to be at the mercy of the AFL FIXture again

Two margins less than 10 points in the last 5 years. 1 in the last three. Would be interested in seeing what the attendances would be if we played some half decent teams. Admittedly last year we played eventual grand finalists fremantle. But still, 42 points. Even that can't be classed as a really match!

Sorry - don't know why the formatting screwed up. Added some spaces to help show the margin!

It's probably worth mentioning that with Carlton looking at shifting a game or two to the MCG any movement in Tasmania, it will likely result in us playing more and more home games at Ethiad.

Hypothetically if North were to shift 5 extra home games to Tasmania, we'd probably have a 6/5 shift of MCG/Ethiad Stadium games...

...perhaps more if the AFL purchase Ethiad and the stadium actively seeks a second high drawing anchor tenant along with Essendon
How do you figure that?
So, if we stay in Tas, we could get a 5/2/4 G/E/Tas split?
You are making this stuff up.
We will not get less MCG matches.
We would most likely cut a deal giving us 8/3 or 9/2.
Either way, for most of our members, Etihad is a lot easier to get to then Aurora.

Does it matter if the Tas team isn't financially viable?

10 AFL Clubs made losses last year, the AFL gave the Demons a $3mil gift, and support a multitude of clubs, heck, the investment in GWS and GC is going to be a significant one over 20 years too.

With equalisation measures coming in, a lot of extra cash is going to flow through to smaller/struggling clubs.

Tas team definitely an option.

I think the bigger issue is, will a 19 team comp work? Can we find a 20th team? Will a 20 team comp work? Where do we stop?

The opponents havent changed much, largely nom melbourne teams.

The attendances have softed or even fallen. Theres not the solid growth there is in melbourne

How do you figure that?
Either way, for most of our members, Etihad is a lot easier to get to then Aurora.

Not really...

If we leave Tasmania and North shift 5 of their Ethiad games to Tasmania that leaves a shortfall of games that must be played at Ethiad. Understanding that the requirement for minimum games at the venue changes at about the time Carlton are looking to shift to the MCG, that still leaves a shortfall of games at the venue which will likely be divied between us and Richmond (assuming that Melbourne (MCC) and Collingwood are protected)

It wouldn't surprise me if we returned the 4 games to Melbourne and they were all scheduled at Ethiad...which to me emphases the importance of negotiating a stadium deal for our members at the venue.

Not really...

If we leave Tasmania and North shift 5 of their Ethiad games to Tasmania that leaves a shortfall of games that must be played at Ethiad. Understanding that the requirement for minimum games at the venue changes at about the time Carlton are looking to shift to the MCG, that still leaves a shortfall of games at the venue which will likely be divied between us and Richmond (assuming that Melbourne (MCC) and Collingwood are protected)

It wouldn't surprise me if we returned the 4 games to Melbourne and they were all scheduled at Ethiad...which to me emphases the importance of negotiating a stadium deal for our members at the venue.

Agqreed.

On rough figures i think the total etihad requirement drops by five, carlton will probably go for a mcg-etihad of 7-4 meaning 3 games move. North to tassie would mean 5 gmaes move so theres a shortfall of about 3

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You'd hope that a minimum number of MCG games would be part of the deal if we were in negotiations to pull out of Tasmania to gift them their own team.

You'd hope that a minimum number of MCG games would be part of the deal if we were in negotiations to pull out of Tasmania to gift them their own team.
The whole point of going to tassie was to avoid playing home games at etihad
Now the afl are scheduling a home game there anyway, and it's only a matter of time before more go there

If the Tasmanian government wasn't to renew our contract post 2016 there won't be any negotiation...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but negotiating an exit in 2010 (with a year to run on our 2007-2011 agreement) would have provided us with terrific bargaining chip to negotiate an exit on our terms. Given our success in 2011-2013 it also would have provided us with an opportunity to really $$$ in with some very large crowds in Melbourne...

Whether or not we will still be in a power of strength will ultimately depend on whether we can sustain our performance on the field, it will also depend on what sort of MCG deal Carlton negotiate in 2015

Of interest the new revenue tax doesn't kick in till 2017 so here's hoping equalisation is a slow burn

Agqreed.

On rough figures i think the total etihad requirement drops by five, carlton will probably go for a mcg-etihad of 7-4 meaning 3 games move. North to tassie would mean 5 gmaes move so theres a shortfall of about 3

...and if the AFL purchases the stadium early, the AFL will likely push for more high drawing games at the venue.

That means more Richmond, Hawthorn, Carlton and Collingwood games at the venue

Not really...

I understand all of that.
The whole idea would be to negotiate an acceptable exit to our Tassie contract.
While we have a current contract, we have the negotiating power. I.e. Negotiate soon, not in our final year of the contract. This year we play zero games @ Etihad. If they need another 5 - 7 matches, there is no reason for us to accept 5 of those. I am OK with us having 2/3, and the other MCG clubs one each. No big deal as long as we are compensated.
BTW, St Kilda are stuffed and I think it is likely they will end up in Tassie again.

And, I think that AFL Tas' idea to have one club playing 7 - 8 matches is a bad idea for them. It is relocating a club by stealth, and will kill of any chance they have of having the own AFL club in the future.
I think it would be better for footy in Tas if 4 clubs played two matches each. The Hawks are getting a bit stale despite all of our success. I would be happy to be one of those clubs. Hawks & Saints in Launceston, Dogs & Roos in Hobart. Dees in NT.

If the Tasmanian government wasn't to renew our contract post 2016 there won't be any negotiation...

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but negotiating an exit in 2010 (with a year to run on our 2007-2011 agreement) would have provided us with terrific bargaining chip to negotiate an exit on our terms. Given our success in 2011-2013 it also would have provided us with an opportunity to really $$$ in with some very large crowds in Melbourne...

Whether or not we will still be in a power of strength will ultimately depend on whether we can sustain our performance on the field, it will also depend on what sort of MCG deal Carlton negotiate in 2015

Of interest the new revenue tax doesn't kick in till 2017 so here's hoping equalisation is a slow burn

The recent equalisation talks had us and collingwood as the nominal rich clubs.

We should therefore expect that etihad and the mcg would see us at least as desirable if not more so than carlton and essendon to name a couple

Hence you are right. Now is the time to negotiate. It might even cover our new afl tax exposure !

How do you figure that?
I'd swim across Bass Strait to see the Hawks play at Aurora before I went to that shit hole!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back