Rumour the AFL is forcing Hawthorn from Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

I want us to have a home ground in the same vain that Geelong do.
That is such a good arrangement, as good or better than any team in the league.

We will never get that in Tassie.
We used to. I went there all the time as a kid. Blame Wayne “F******g“ Jackson and Ian "F******g“ Collins for it not being around any more. Tassie is the closest we have and now the AFL has the sheer balls to try and take that away from us?

As
I remember jeff would have included a 5 th for the same money. Wealso paid to increase the grounds capacity, which doesnt look like it will be needed judging by attendances

Jeff's proposal was for a 5th game subject to a 24 round season, subject to AFL approval. In all likelihood the AFL was probably never going to approval a 5th game in Tasmania regardless of the agreement.

To take another home game away from Melbourne, considering our crowds at both bases is non sensical.

AFL won't have last word: Fox

THE future direction of AFL football in Tasmania rests with the state government and not the sport's governing body, according to existing tenant club Hawthorn.
Hawks' chief executive, Stuart Fox, yesterday welcomed Launceston City Council's push to safeguard the club's future at Aurora Stadium, but stressed that it would not be the AFL which has the final say.
Hawthorn's four-game-a-season deal is due to expire in three years, but with AFL Tasmania favouring an eight-game North-South model that would involve another club, the picture beyond 2016 remains unclear.
``Ultimately the decision will rest with the government of the day as the AFL have told us that they will not stand in the way of the extension of the existing deal if that's the way the government wanted to progress,'' Mr Fox said.
``Obviously the club's strong priority is to maintain its presence and playing future in the state, but ultimately it's a decision for government, not the AFL.''
At their meeting on Monday, Launceston aldermen agreed to block any move by the AFL to replace Hawthorn with another team in Tasmania.
Mr Fox said the move represented a sign of the strength of the relationship between the Hawks and the council.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1735436/afl-wont-have-last-word-fox/?cs=96

Giddings cool on any AFL change

PREMIER Lara Giddings has poured cold water on the Tasmanian expansion plans by North Melbourne Football Club, declaring herself to be very happy with the Hawthorn partnership.
Ms Giddings said expansion was not on her agenda while there was "still a process to go through with the current agreement".
"We're very happy with the current arrangements with Hawthorn in the North and North Melbourne playing in the South - the two [Hobart Kangaroos] games we have are the two games we will continue to have for the foreseeable future," Ms Giddings said.
http://www.examiner.com.au/story/1738511/giddings-cool-on-any-afl-change/?cs=96

Hawks push Tassie message as election looms

LUKE Hodge reckons there might be a part of Tasmania he has yet to visit in 13 seasons with the Hawks as a player, but it would take some time with a map to make sure.
The day after beating North Melbourne by 65 points in a NAB Challenge clash at Aurora Stadium, Hawthorn kicked off its 2014 Australia Post AFL Community Camp in Launceston on Saturday afternoon with the players spread across the length and breadth of the state that has become the club's second home.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-02-22/hawks-push-tassie-message

Have also heard Saints may renew Tas push.
I hope we use the current situation to negotiate our exit on the best terms.
I would want a guaranteed away game in Tas every season.
And I would be happy to take over the Saints Anzac match in NZ.

Fruck it off anyway.
We've done really well from it...
Time to come back to Melbourne and build on all our might and glory.
Whichever way, we win

Fruck it off anyway.
We've done really well from it...
Time to come back to Melbourne and build on all our might and glory.
Whichever way, we win

Times are tough and getting tougher - picking up the sort of sponsorship that is currently in place is going to be a tough gig and like Fox said, unless the conditions aren't conducive to both parties then I hope they stay. If we are pushed out then I hope the club is reimbursed for all the monies poured into aurora

Times are tough and getting tougher - picking up the sort of sponsorship that is currently in place is going to be a tough gig and like Fox said, unless the conditions aren't conducive to both parties then I hope they stay. If we are pushed out then I hope the club is reimbursed for all the monies poured into aurora

I agree, and it was kinda tongue in cheek. Im all for not resting on any laurels and wanting to get even better. We are in a great financial position atm largely due to tassie.

However wasnt it found after some futher looking into that we actually should be receiving way more than the 3 mil we're getting as we brought something like 50 mil to tassie? As such we should vigorously seek more.

Having said all that id love to watch the mighty hawks play 11 home games a The G.

Bit of a conundrum. ...head or heart, money or love?

Im not a fan of Tassie, but the people there love it and I hope we keep the current arrangement up

I hope it stays, I see absolutely NO downside to the Hawks and their supporters. It's a fantastic deal, financially, for the club, and we Melbourne folk still get to watch 11 games in Melbourne every year. We lose NOTHING. Plus, I've been down to Tassie twice to watch them and had a great time both times (apart from losing both the games :( )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im not a fan of Tassie, but the people there love it and I hope we keep the current arrangement up

Pretty sparse crowd the other night, a bit different from our first pre season game there. I guess they are a bit spoiled these days. Im all for the arrangement, but it has definitely peaked

Is Gillon McLachlan the man to give Tasmania an AFL team?
GILLON McLachlan is shaping as the man to finally deliver Tasmania its own AFL team.

McLachlan is the hot favourite to replace AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou, who yesterday said he will resign at the end of the season and has long been seen as the main obstacle to Tasmania having a team in the big league.

But McLachlan has helped prepare a report on the future of AFL in Tassie and is understood to be sympathetic to the state’s case.

The report defining the competition’s short-term future in the state, will be tabled after the state election on March 15.

Mr McLachlan is also a close friend of AFL Tasmania chairman Dominic Baker, who is rumoured to also be resigning from his position this season.

Bank of America Merrill Lynch chief economist, Saul Eslake, who worked on the Tasmanian Government’s AFL submission back in 2008, said Demetriou’s demise was only a positive for the state.

http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/...ania-an-afl-team/story-fnj4f7h7-1226844207664

Appoint McLachlan now, says Brayshaw

AFL deputy CEO Gillon McLachlan

He's got an enormous amount to offer the organisation – he understands it back to front – and he's got great respect at club landJames Brayshaw on Gillon McLachlanNORTH Melbourne president James Brayshaw has joined a growing chorus of influential football people to anoint Gillon McLachlan as the next CEO of the AFL.

Andrew Demetriou, the AFL's incumbent, announced his resignation from the top job on Monday, with his 11-year term coming to an end at the conclusion of the 2014 season.

With Demetriou's departure imminent, the AFL Commission will start the search to find his successor.

The commission is charged with finding the best person for the job, and Brayshaw is mystified as to why the League would not appoint McLachlan immediately.

"I wonder why you'd spend seven years grooming someone, and spend a lot of time keeping him away from the NRL, and not give him the job when it comes up," Brayshaw told Melbourne radio station SEN on Tuesday morning.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-03-04/just-appoint-him

Sounds good but I can't see it happening. The plan was to have 18 teams and we now have that. Also, a stand alone team in Tassie would not be profitable for the league. Personally I think Tassie should have their own team, profitable or not, and should have got one ahead of second teams in NSW and Qld.

Softening attendances at tassie games

Waste of money increasing the capacity

Three men and a racist there the other night. Guaranteed there will be more at casey onsaturday

I hope it stays, I see absolutely NO downside to the Hawks and their supporters. It's a fantastic deal, financially, for the club, and we Melbourne folk still get to watch 11 games in Melbourne every year. We lose NOTHING. Plus, I've been down to Tassie twice to watch them and had a great time both times (apart from losing both the games :( )
Well, actually we lose four games in Melbourne. Can't argue that.
6/7 games where members can use their reserve seat compared to 11 for most other clubs.
There is an upside, but there is also a downside.

$3Mill in sponsorship add 10,000 members, the hawks arn't going anywhere

We have 9,000 members in Tasmania

Before we went to Tasmania we had 1,200 or so members (out of 27,000 in 2000). So with the benefit of 13 years in Tasmania, 36% of our home games and the naming rights sponsorship our membership ratio has gone from 4.44% of our membership base to about 14.5%

Without exclusivity and with the AFL, the Tasmanian government and NMFC actively working against us, the growth potential from engaging further in the space doesn't stack up IMO

It's probably worth mentioning that with Carlton looking at shifting a game or two to the MCG any movement in Tasmania, it will likely result in us playing more and more home games at Ethiad.

Hypothetically if North were to shift 5 extra home games to Tasmania, we'd probably have a 6/5 shift of MCG/Ethiad Stadium games...

...perhaps more if the AFL purchase Ethiad and the stadium actively seeks a second high drawing anchor tenant along with Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back