List Mgmt. The 2020 Trade and Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the coaching group feel that the ball delivery and forward pressure issues can be resolved with the group they have at the moment. Picking up Brown on the surface looks like a great deal. I feel a lot of things are coming to a head in 2021.
- In this season we saw a shift for some of the players to try and deliver the ball more than just pumping it in.

Moving on T.McDonald would have pushed this trade period up to a A+ (for me) but if you look at his form over the last two years what other teams are going to pick him up with that salary. This is another 2021 story that needs to play out.

I feel that getting an outside mid with real speed and great ball delivery skills is maybe a poisoned apple with what you would have to pay or give up to get that type of player from another team.

I really like how you put 2021, so much will come to ahead for me, coach, game plan, list. Of course we can say that every year, but simply based on where many players are in their careers trajectory, and the contract situations as a whole this one does feel more important

Step 1 - play Viney and Harmes forward in 2021 given they have long term deals and we need them to learn to be versatile
Step 2 - play Brayshaw on ball next year given it’s do or die time for him
Step 3 - elevate his trade value
Step 4 - trade him if it doesn’t all work out to get back into the first round
Step 5 - fill his midfield time with Sparrow, Viney and Harmes in 2022
Step 6 - Draft first rounder
Step 7 - profit

In keeping with the current state of the thread....heck off you stupid campaigner, we are trading Oliver remember, not Brayshaw. ;)

With our current picks we are unlikely to land 'complete package' mids.

If we can land some good burst runners with decent ball use 'll take it though (unless they're built like a Cale Morton).

They dont have to be contested beasts, we have enough of those who can feed the quicker mids.

If we can land some good burst runners with decent ball use 'll take it though (unless they're built like a Cale Morton).

They dont have to be contested beasts, we have enough of those who can feed the quicker mids.

Agree, think there will be some good talent that slides as well - without an extra year to refine their lists there will be a tonne of variation in how recruiters rate players.

History shows you can draft some really good players between picks 15-30 as well.

I think in the entire AFL, there really aren't that many "complete package" mids.

Really only the top few like Neale, Martin, Fyfe, danger, pendles, bont etc who you'd claim that are complete.

The next batch like Macrae, Cripps, Oliver, Gaff, Mitchell, Merrett and Kelly and so on, they all have their own issues. Be it consistency, hurt factor, disposal.

I'd say the 2 blokes in our centre square already need to keep improving to make themselves "complete", and I'd back them in to, we've all noticed they need to improve their outside games and cohesion together. If we can pick up 2 players who are at worst- say a Brodie Smith before ACL or a Shai Bolton type, then as you say, we will take it.

We're going to need a fair bit of uniting after this trade period. I don't recall us ever having so much aggro on our board. We're normally the civilised club who discusses things rationally over a cheese platter with a sip of red.
I've been used to our resident campaigner being Topkent, with a few others giving him someone to spar with.

The introductions of these johnny come lately campaigners is a bit wearing. Wish we could purge them all, and allow 1 in at a time on a rotational basis until Topkent retires of an aneurysm

So the trade I found most interesting was the picks swap with Brisbane. I decided to break it down as to what the best possible outcome would look like (us: premiership, BL: spoon) and also flip it to see the worst outcome.

BEST CASE SCENARIO
MFC:
  • Pick 18 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2021)

BL:
  • Pick 18 (2021)
  • Pick 25 (2020)
  • Pick 68 (2020)
  • Pick 69 (2020)

WORST CASE SCENARIO
MFC:
  • Pick 18 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2020)
  • Pick 36 (2021)

BL:
  • Pick 1 (2021)
  • Pick 25 (2020)
  • Pick 68 (2020)
  • Pick 69 (2020)

Looking at that it’s clearly a very smart trade for the Lions to make, huge upside if it pays off with little downside if it doesn’t. What I’m hoping for is a Port Adelaide 2018 style double in the top 20, if we could draft something along the lines of Connor Rozee/Xavier Duursma I think that makes the trade a win for us regardless of what occurs in the 2021 draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So the trade I found most interesting was the picks swap with Brisbane. I decided to break it down as to what the best possible outcome would look like (us: premiership, BL: spoon) and also flip it to see the worst outcome.

BEST CASE SCENARIO
MFC:
  • Pick 18 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2021)

BL:
  • Pick 18 (2021)
  • Pick 25 (2020)
  • Pick 68 (2020)
  • Pick 69 (2020)

WORST CASE SCENARIO
MFC:
  • Pick 18 (2020)
  • Pick 19 (2020)
  • Pick 36 (2021)

BL:
  • Pick 1 (2021)
  • Pick 25 (2020)
  • Pick 68 (2020)
  • Pick 69 (2020)

Looking at that it’s clearly a very smart trade for the Lions to make, huge upside if it pays off with little downside if it doesn’t. What I’m hoping for is a Port Adelaide 2018 style double in the top 20, if we could draft something along the lines of Connor Rozee/Xavier Duursma I think that makes the trade a win for us regardless of what occurs in the 2021 draft.
I would have thought last years haul of Jackson, Rivers & Pickett was our equivalent. Anything this year is the icing on the top. Go on, JT!

I like the trade with the Lions. Keeps us in the game with the option of trading back into next years draft. A club may be desperate for a player at our pick and swap for next years 1st rounder (remember Carlton/Adelaide). Our targets may be available or a player may slip.
We are keeping our options open.
Better to get players while we can if they are available. Who knows someone might want out next year and we end up with good 2021 picks?

Mahoney mentioned they liked what this draft had available around our picks for the kind of players our list needs compared to next year.

Hoping thats skilled running players and not inside mids but we'll see
It’s a pretty fair comment, I don’t know next year but this year has small and medium forwards and key position players in that 15-30 range.

I'd 100% back Taylor to get it right with 18 & 19. He's not a Blease and Strauss kid of guy. Even his picks that I haven't been so wrapped with after seeing them play (Pickett) still have plenty of time to turn it round.

Who has he definitively got wrong inside of pick 30 throughout his time with us? I can't name a single player off the top of my head? Tom Sparrow maybe at #27? I actually really like Sparrow as a player. Just struggles to get a game coz we have so much of his type.

Pickett id say is the biggest question mark. But I wouldn't go as far to say he's a bust yet.
Sparrow has been on the list for two years. How could he even be considered a 'definitively wrong' pick at 27? And I say that as someone who doesn't rate him all that highly.

Meanwhile, "I wouldn't go as far to say he's a bust yet" is a hysterically funny concession about a guy who doesn't tick your boxes but had a good first season in the eyes of pretty much everyone else on this board and in the media. I'm not saying he will be a superstar, but there's probably a reason why you're one of a select few who actively doesn't rate him. I'm not even sure what he has to "turn around" - he just has to keep developing on the same trajectory: contribute more, learn when to go and when to stay, and kick straighter on the run under AFL pressure.

Sparrow has been on the list for two years. How could he even be considered a 'definitively wrong' pick at 27? And I say that as someone who doesn't rate him all that highly.

Meanwhile, "I wouldn't go as far to say he's a bust yet" is a hysterically funny concession about a guy who doesn't tick your boxes but had a good first season in the eyes of pretty much everyone else on this board and in the media. I'm not saying he will be a superstar, but there's probably a reason why you're one of a select few who actively doesn't rate him. I'm not even sure what he has to "turn around" - he just has to keep developing on the same trajectory: contribute more, learn when to go and when to stay, and kick straighter on the run under AFL pressure.

You're not going to sway my opinion so why bother? 😂

Sorry to bother you but I’ve just taken Melbourn’s first 2 picks in a phantom draft first I bid on Erroll Gulden but he was matched by Sydney so I took Bailey Laurie and Nathan O’Driscoll
Bailey Laurie is a type we need, I can understand odriscoll offering some value at our pick also but wouldn’t have another’s inside mid as a priority unless you think he does offer enough as a half back?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back