Thanks scomo, everyone knows 80% vaccinated is hard to achieve. More spin, we’ll never ‘open up’ with our current set of politicians (of all colours)

Remove this Banner Ad

They should just set a reopening date. March 31, 2022. By then everyone would have had a chance to get their shot. If you choose not get vaccinated, then fine, but the government will no longer be protecting you.

The larrikin has been phased out … our whole she’ll be right attitude is gone and it’s a shame …and it seems if you question anything these days you’re labelled a conspiracy theorist …. The Government don’t want people that think for themselves
The Aussie battler is dead, you are right, the "she'll be right mate" attiude is long gone. I get my 2nd jab August 23rd, i have no idea what will happen next? Cities and lives are destroyed, yet no one has asked Shane Warne "how are you feeling today"?

the troglodytes who prevent australia from having a sensible power strategy now are preventing us having a sensible covid travel strategy

A bit rich talking about civil liberties when we have a north korEa style travel regime, when connected people no those willing/able to pay 10k for a 1k flight is not a ‘slippery slope’ but a fall off a civil liberties cliff

we need a public shaming of these people

As long as you are protected against covid you can carry any other disease onto a plane and possibly sit next to someone who is infected with chicken pox, has the flu or any other contagious disease that is not covid. Hey none of that matters as long as you don't get covid i guess.

Fact check:

The Bottom Line:

"Mr Morrison may have a point: even with half the population vaccinated by July, Australia would have still been reliant on measures to suppress the virus, particularly with the more infectious delta variant running rampant.

It is, however, wrong to suggest Australia would be in exactly the same predicament had the government been on track to achieve its original vaccination target.

Had the government delivered on its original timetable, Australia would almost certainly have been in a much stronger position, with shorter lockdowns and less draconian measures needed to quash the virus."

Let's not forget a couple of facts:

1. Delta strain was unheard of when Australia unveiled the initial vaccination plans;
2. When Australia unveiled its plans it was banking on 4 different vaccinations. One turned out to be a dud. Another is yet to be given the green light. And Pfizer supplies were interrupted.
3. Australia still has one of the lowest infection and death rates in the world

Andrew Read from Pennsylvania State University thinks that the vaccines were responsible. The Marek’s vaccine is “imperfect” or “leaky.” That is, it protects chickens from developing disease, but doesn’t stop them from becoming infected or from spreading the virus. Inadvertently, this made it easier for the most virulent strains to survive. Such strains would normally kill their hosts so quickly that they’d die out. But in an immunised flock, they can persist because their lethal nature has been neutered. That’s not a problem for vaccinated individuals. But unvaccinated birds are now in serious trouble.

This problem, where vaccination fosters the evolution of more virulent disease, does not apply to most human vaccines. Those against mumps, measles, rubella, and smallpox are “perfect:” They protect against disease and stop people from transmitting the respective viruses. “You don’t get onward evolution,” says Read. “These vaccines are very successful, highly effective, and very safe. They have been a tremendous success story and will continue to be so.”

He is more concerned about the next generation of vaccines that are being developed against diseases like HIV and malaria. People don’t naturally develop life-long immunity to these conditions after being infected, as they would against, say, mumps or measles. This makes vaccine development a tricky business, and it means that the resulting vaccines will probably leak to some extent. “This isn’t an argument against developing those vaccines, but it is an argument for ensuring that we carefully check for transmission,” says Read.

“The candidate Ebola vaccines are also foremost in my mind,” he adds. “Some of the monkey trials suggest that they may be perfect, but we need to be very confident that they don’t leak. If they do, and some vaccinated individuals are capable of passing on Ebola, that might lead to the evolution of very dangerous pathogens.”

The Indian Delta variant is just the beginning! Don't say I didn't warn you.

The duo infected vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks with five different strains of Marek’s virus, of varying virulence. They found that when unvaccinated birds are infected with mild strains, they shed plenty of viruses into their surroundings. If they contract the most lethal strains, they die before this can happen, and their infections stop with them. In the vaccinated chicks, this pattern flips. The milder strains are suppressed but the lethal ones, which the birds can now withstand, flood into the environment at a thousand times their usual numbers.

Oops.

Messaging - no vax, no Bali for you! That should get the attention of a lot of those people.
As someone with connections there... no way the Indonesians will want unvaccinated foreigners in Bali. Restrictions are tight even domestically and have been for most of the pandemic even at the expense of their economy.

If the UK can get 90% one dose we can get 80%, taking into account complacency here and challenges getting coverage in rural areas. First quarter next year is my guess. The United States is not a valid comparison due to political division (of a different sort).

I think Scomo will fluke his way into a perfectly timed run, again.

Last edited:
UK has high vaccination rates, but 100 deaths per day in the middle of the summer, with long days, warm weather, people getting plenty of vitamin D.

The virus is seasonal, so it will be a horror show come winter.

Vaccines and passports are just more false hope. They'll come up with something else when that doesn't work. Just move the goalposts some more.

Andrew Read from Pennsylvania State University thinks that the vaccines were responsible. The Marek’s vaccine is “imperfect” or “leaky.” That is, it protects chickens from developing disease, but doesn’t stop them from becoming infected or from spreading the virus. Inadvertently, this made it easier for the most virulent strains to survive. Such strains would normally kill their hosts so quickly that they’d die out. But in an immunised flock, they can persist because their lethal nature has been neutered. That’s not a problem for vaccinated individuals. But unvaccinated birds are now in serious trouble.

This problem, where vaccination fosters the evolution of more virulent disease, does not apply to most human vaccines. Those against mumps, measles, rubella, and smallpox are “perfect:” They protect against disease and stop people from transmitting the respective viruses. “You don’t get onward evolution,” says Read. “These vaccines are very successful, highly effective, and very safe. They have been a tremendous success story and will continue to be so.”

He is more concerned about the next generation of vaccines that are being developed against diseases like HIV and malaria. People don’t naturally develop life-long immunity to these conditions after being infected, as they would against, say, mumps or measles. This makes vaccine development a tricky business, and it means that the resulting vaccines will probably leak to some extent. “This isn’t an argument against developing those vaccines, but it is an argument for ensuring that we carefully check for transmission,” says Read.

“The candidate Ebola vaccines are also foremost in my mind,” he adds. “Some of the monkey trials suggest that they may be perfect, but we need to be very confident that they don’t leak. If they do, and some vaccinated individuals are capable of passing on Ebola, that might lead to the evolution of very dangerous pathogens.”

The Indian Delta variant is just the beginning! Don't say I didn't warn you.

The duo infected vaccinated and unvaccinated chicks with five different strains of Marek’s virus, of varying virulence. They found that when unvaccinated birds are infected with mild strains, they shed plenty of viruses into their surroundings. If they contract the most lethal strains, they die before this can happen, and their infections stop with them. In the vaccinated chicks, this pattern flips. The milder strains are suppressed but the lethal ones, which the birds can now withstand, flood into the environment at a thousand times their usual numbers.

Oops.

common knowledge covid is similar to influenza. I don’t think letting excessive people die is an option

As long as you are protected against covid you can carry any other disease onto a plane and possibly sit next to someone who is infected with chicken pox, has the flu or any other contagious disease that is not covid. Hey none of that matters as long as you don't get covid i guess.

you should mail Christensen who I guess will be not travelling if he doesn’t believe in a 2 tiered system. That is my point. s**t politicians

this thread is about failure of leadership not technical points(which I realise are relevant too)

If the UK can get 90% one dose we can get 80%, taking into account complacency here and challenges getting coverage in rural areas. First quarter next year is my guess. The United States is not a valid comparison due to political division (of a different sort).

I think Scomo will fluke his way into a perfectly timed run, again.

he will message it int whatever sounds best for him at the time. A fact check is they certainly missed their own targets they lectured us over back then

scomo took 40 staff to the UK - a place he described as one of the most dangerous on earth. 40.

common knowledge covid is similar to influenza. I don’t think letting excessive people die is an option

Excessive people aren't going to die. Maybe 10% more deaths than a normal year pre virus.

But that's life we all die one day. No-one is going into lockdowns in Africa to get rid of malaria deaths.

In 2019 we had 7% more deaths than in 2018 but no-one noticed. I certainly didn't.

McGowan's policy is now, even with 70% / 80% vaccinated, he won't open up domestic borders and certainly wouldn't allow foreign travel un quarantined and will still target zero Covid.

This man is a literal ******* dictator. I have said this from the beginning and now all those airhead moron campaigners who voted for him last election can see as well. This man will never release his executive authority willingly. He is the absolute antithesis of a leader and I am ******* appalled that I have to continue living under this man's control for at least another year maybe more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McGowan's policy is now, even with 70% / 80% vaccinated, he won't open up domestic borders and certainly wouldn't allow foreign travel un quarantined and will still target zero Covid.

This man is a literal ******* dictator. I have said this from the beginning and now all those airhead moron campaigners who voted for him last election can see as well. This man will never release his executive authority willingly. He is the absolute antithesis of a leader and I am ******* appalled that I have to continue living under this man's control for at least another year maybe more.
That will backfire spectacularly, if he follows through. WA will become the North Korea of Australia. Places like Margaret River and Broom are probably reeling at the moment. When the rest of Australia hits 80% and we start travelling again WA will not be on the map. WCE and Freo may have to make important decisions.

Snippets of McGowan's recent press conferences suggest the guy is an ego maniac. He is loving the power and limelight, and I'm not sure just how clever he is. Admittedly some of these snippets were carefully selected by The Project for the humour.

The only premier who has not let Covid get to his/her head appears to be Gutwein in Tasmania

That will backfire spectacularly, if he follows through. WA will become the North Korea of Australia. Places like Margaret River and Broom are probably reeling at the moment. When the rest of Australia hits 80% and we start travelling again WA will not be on the map. WCE and Freo may have to make important decisions.

Snippets of McGowan's recent press conferences suggest the guy is an ego maniac. He is loving the power and limelight, and I'm not sure just how clever he is. Admittedly some of these snippets were carefully selected by The Project for the humour.

The only premier who has not let Covid get to his/her head appears to be Gutwein in Tasmania

He can be an a-hole for a couple of years then change in the final year and be a good guy again and win in a landslide.

These premiers were all unknown outside their own states 18 months ago but the pandemic has given them a profile. Most of them have gotten off on this new found notoriety and their egos have enlarged. It staggers me in a country of our size and population that this is the best we can serve up to lead us.
Quite sad indeed.

The power rests with all of us … when we say no more this ends… these politicians are nobody McGowan the banana included… get vaccinated, open your businesses, visit your friends and family, go on holidays and enjoy yourself. This can’t go on, people are at their wits end. When everyone realises this it will stop.

The police as a whole are over it to, if everyone stops listening they can’t and won’t do anything. In Victoria this is starting to happen already, slowly, from a trickle to a wave come the end of a year it’s a tsunami … next year there will be no lockdowns and no closed borders or there will be anarchy .. we will have no country left … we will become an international pariah ….the world is moving on!

Parliament will be burned down, riots while ensue and the dictator will be thrown into jail.

The High Court will save him from himself.

Bigger question what happens when we hit 80% open up & then 6 months later that 80% stops getting boosters & then it slips back to say 55%. Do we go back to what’s happening now? Serious question as I’ve never heard this talked about.

Bigger question what happens when we hit 80% open up & then 6 months later that 80% stops getting boosters & then it slips back to say 55%. Do we go back to what’s happening now? Serious question as I’ve never heard this talked about.
maybe. probably. people just have to stop being lazy/anti-science *s and just get the jab. if people cant deal with a free and barely inconvenient (if at all) social responsibility then we're ****ed anyway.

also lol at the feds finally telling the over 60 antivaxxers to gagf and get AZ or else they wont get pfizer till everyone else has.
Guess this is what qualifies for white collar humor these days. Weird thing find funny tbh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back