Oppo Camp Taylor Adams (Traded to Swans 2023)

Remove this Banner Ad

"Titch" had one foot in the grave in the latter half of the season. Good for him that he pulled his finger out and got himself back in form for the end... He's going to have to keep that intensity up to stay in the team because he has no pace and kicks the ball up in the air on most occasions. But if someone can match his extraction and tackling, he'll have nowhere to go but our the door. I think it will depend on whether the old man wants to put his feet up after a premiership...
I thought he was in trouble late in the year, but in retrospect it seems pretty clear that they trained them into the ground late in the year and most of the oldies were flat as a tack.

Is anyone still shocked that he actually left?

Why leave so abruptly? Did McFly give it to him between the eyes? Did he think he missed his shot and we can't go B2B with him?

Just seemed like an over-reaction as he could have still played a big role in 2024, but I'm sure there is plenty I am not aware of.

Thought he'd stay for another year. Maybe the Grundy move was a factor? Don't know.
Not shocked at all. Basic list management, sometimes you need to make room for developing players.

Quite frankly I thought he was always a chance to go elsewhere sooner or later once we picked up Mitchell… a similar player but cheaper and less injury prone. Maybe his cards were marked when we landed Tom

I thought he was in trouble late in the year, but in retrospect it seems pretty clear that they trained them into the ground late in the year and most of the oldies were flat as a tack.

he seemed to be flatter than most. He keeps his midfield role if he does the tackling and the extraction. They tried him at half forward earlier to share more with Adams and I do remember him kicking a 50 metre goal early on, but he was kicking like me by the end of the season and he will never play half forward. So if one of the young guns can match him in his strengths, then he'll be out of the team. The comparison with adams is an example. Adams miles ahead of him as a half forward - and Adams is pretty average - but Mitchell shaded him on the ball....so he won out. I think he's a one trick pony but the question this year is whether there are other ponies on the list.

Is anyone still shocked that he actually left?

Why leave so abruptly? Did McFly give it to him between the eyes? Did he think he missed his shot and we can't go B2B with him?

Just seemed like an over-reaction as he could have still played a big role in 2024, but I'm sure there is plenty I am not aware of.

Thought he'd stay for another year. Maybe the Grundy move was a factor? Don't know.

Yeah, reeks of being a bit selfish for mine. Usually older players, especially VC's, know they're at the end of their careers and move into a more of a mentoring role for the younger players coming through rather than trying to be Scott Selwood in his 30s - being a #1 mid and stifling other developing mids...because lets face it, Adams is not a prime midfielder these days.

Then again, if they did value him as a leader....I'm sure they would've found him a role for that as an older player.

Not sure he'll end up getting a flag but I hope it doesn't haunt him.

he seemed to be flatter than most. He keeps his midfield role if he does the tackling and the extraction. They tried him at half forward earlier to share more with Adams and I do remember him kicking a 50 metre goal early on, but he was kicking like me by the end of the season and he will never play half forward. So if one of the young guns can match him in his strengths, then he'll be out of the team. The comparison with adams is an example. Adams miles ahead of him as a half forward - and Adams is pretty average - but Mitchell shaded him on the ball....so he won out. I think he's a one trick pony but the question this year is whether there are other ponies on the list.
I don't think he would have been far off winning the Norm Smith. He was outstanding in the GF and all through the finals. The time comes for all of them, but don't think there's much chance it comes for Tom next year - particularly with Adams gone

I don't think he would have been far off winning the Norm Smith. He was outstanding in the GF and all through the finals. The time comes for all of them, but don't think there's much chance it comes for Tom next year - particularly with Adams gone
when the reaper comes it will come fast for him.

His kick to Bobby in the GF was pretty good

i know how you love to defend the oldies but us youngins are taking over...
I remember watching Luke Hodge one year and he was probably carrying an injury because he just looked like any player. Sam Mitchell and Lewis were also approaching 30 which was considered old at the time. I thought this team's done. The ****ers went on to win 3 more premierships. I didn't fully learn my lesson because I thought Pendles was done when he was playing banged up in the second half of 2018. I still didn't learn my lesson and thought Tom Mitchell was just about done when he was struggling in the second half of last year. But in the finals he showed that he sure as hell isn't.

I love Adams and disappointed to see him gone.

But, a Melbourne poster made the comment he had met the Swans and was leaving Collingwood prior to the GF (either after the semi-final or prelim, can’t remember). I rubbished his statement thinking Adams would be one of the last players to leave.

His mail was spot on.
I don’t hold it against Adams. Although, I question his version on when he decided.
Adams in a recent interview confirmed his manager had received enquiries in GF week. Adams then approached the club & was informed he should explore his opportunities as we had youngsters that we were keen to put ganes into

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I remember watching Luke Hodge one year and he was probably carrying an injury because he just looked like any player. Sam Mitchell and Lewis were also approaching 30 which was considered old at the time. I thought this team's done. The *ers went on to win 3 more premierships. I didn't fully learn my lesson because I thought Pendles was done when he was playing banged up in the second half of 2018. I still didn't learn my lesson and thought Tom Mitchell was just about done when he was struggling in the second half of last year. But in the finals he showed that he sure as hell isn't.

Wasn’t that long ago that our players didn’t seem to age well. Cloke was finished in his late 20s. The Rat Pack fell off a cliff. Maybe we had a perfect storm of injuries, poor rehab and no Jarrod Wade. Yet this coming season we will have the league’s oldest list. Who’d have thought?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn’t that long ago that our players didn’t seem to age well. Cloke was finished in his late 20s. The Rat Pack fell off a cliff. Maybe we had a perfect storm of injuries, poor rehab and no Jarrod Wade. Yet this coming season we will have the league’s oldest list. Who’d have thought?

well to use that well worn phrase coined by corporations seeking to absolve themselves from any form of liability .......past performance is not indicative of future performance...

^This 100%. He was never in danger of being dropped.

Adams in a recent interview confirmed his manager had received enquiries in GF week. Adams then approached the club & was informed he should explore his opportunities as we had youngsters that we were keen to put ganes into

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
It was probably pretty ideal for us.

Thanks craig...
I mean, if you were too blind to see the whole team was flat and were clearly under heavy loading that’s not my issue 🤷🏻

Human trait to see a rule in a small sample size. That team fell off a cliff for whatever reasons but that was more an anomaly. Is it just another anomaly that players seem to kick on longer now? Mitchell looks near cooked for me but only has to keep doing what he has to be useful. Stronger on the inside than Adams and better in getting it out. We lose a bit of hardness tho.

The senior pros are looking after themselves better and playing for ages.

Especially the ones for whom pace is not a feature of their game.

Which is interesting when you consider the players with some of the biggest game totals; Boomer Harvey and Pendles, are polar opposites in that regard. Boomer moved like a startled rabbit and still got to 400+.

Especially the ones for whom pace is not a feature of their game.

Which is interesting when you consider the players with some of the biggest game totals; Boomer Harvey and Pendles, are polar opposites in that regard. Boomer moved like a startled rabbit and still got to 400+.
When it was Harvey and Burgoyne as the oldies, I thought it was the quick guys who could afford to lose some pace. But now that it's Hurn and Pendles, I think it's preparation, motivation and luck and being really good.

Collingwood players rarely get to bow out with dignity, unfortunately. Hopefully this changes and we get to send off our club champs the right way.

I remember it was sort of a big deal when Chris Mayne played his last game at the end of 2021, because it was so rare for a Pies player to play a send off game. I genuinely reckon the only player that did under Buckley was Luke Ball in 2014. Maybe Tarrant did too in Bucks’ first year. Many of our premiership champs were traded away or delisted at the end of the year; or in the case of Swan - injured.

When it was Harvey and Burgoyne as the oldies, I thought it was the quick guys who could afford to lose some pace. But now that it's Hurn and Pendles, I think it's preparation, motivation and luck and being really good.

have a look at shannon hurn since his last decent year 2018.....and notice the amount of games missed and the considerable reduction in possessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back