Tassie F/S watch

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Since it's been heavily speculated that Tasmania will receive a State of Origin version of the F/S rule upon entry into the AFL, I thought it would be interesting to compile a list of players that would be F/S eligible for Tassie and discuss the prospects. I believe it's been speculated that any son of a player who was born in Tasmania will be eligible so it looks like you guys may not have to wait long to get your first F/S player. Feel free to add more to the list if you know of any.

Tasmanian father-son eligible players (played over 100 total AFL games)
2028 - Oliver Green (also F/S eligible for Melbourne)
2028 - Tex Robertson (also F/S eligible for Melbourne)
2030 - Wilba Green (also F/S eligible for Melbourne)
2030 - Kip Holland (also F/S eligible for Collingwood)
2030 - Bowie Holland (also F/S eligible for Collingwood)
2031 - Alexander Wiggins (also F/S eligible for Carlton)
2032 - James Riewoldt (also F/S eligible for St Kilda)
2032 - Chance Robinson (also F/S eligible for Brisbane & Carlton)
2033 - Lonnie Casboult (also F/S eligible for Carlton)
2034 - Will Riewoldt (also F/S eligible for St Kilda)
2033 - Arlo Casboult (also F/S eligible for Carlton)
2037 - Teddy Riewoldt (also F/S eligible for St Kilda)
2039 - Billy Birchall (also F/S eligible for Hawthorn)
2041 - Tommy Green (also F/S eligible for Melbourne)
2041 - Tommy Riewoldt (also F/S eligible for Richmond)
2041 - Zander Howe (also F/S eligible for Collingwood & Melbourne)

Fairly sure there's some Rawlings sons that should be added to the list if anyone can find the info but this should get the ball rolling.

Will there be any F/S rules for TSL games played. Atleast to begin with.
Doesn't look like it. Neither Gold Coast or GWS were given local league F/S access (even before the academies) so I would think the same would apply for Tassie. Port Adelaide were the last ones to be given that access back in 1997 but that was a debacle.

Surely you'd rather have F/S access to Tasmanian AFL players anyway? Potentially having access to a few Riewoldts and the like seems like a greater advantage than Joe Bloggs who played 100 TSL games for Glenorchy.

FWIW I think at a minimum Tasmania will also be given North's NGA zone within the state of Tassie. Not sure if it'll be an NGA or the equivalent of a northern academy, but it'll be one of those IMO. If it's just an NGA then I'd like to see the top 40 restriction removed for Tassie (at least at the start) so they can access top end indigenous/international players like Ryley Sanders.

When starting an expansion team you want a local flavour on your list to build a greater sense of connection with the community. I think not having that really hurt both GC & GWS in their first decade of existence and we're still seeing poor home crowds for both teams as a result. The Suns seem to be finally addressing that but it's going to take time to build that community feel. Tassie should certainly keep this in mind when building their list and try to bring in locals where possible if they are up to the level required.

Surely you'd rather have F/S access to Tasmanian AFL players anyway? Potentially having access to a few Riewoldts and the like seems like a greater advantage than Joe Bloggs who played 100 TSL games for Glenorchy.
Ryley Sanders is the son of a "Joe Bloggs" TSL player. I think we should just get priority access to Tasmanians and Tasmanian 100+ AFL players if they were raised outside Tassie.

Ryley Sanders is the son of a "Joe Bloggs" TSL player. I think we should just get priority access to Tasmanians and Tasmanian 100+ AFL players if they were raised outside Tassie.
Don't think the TSL is going to cut it, unfortunately. Brisbane and Sydney were given F/S access to former QAFL/SFL players back in the day, but no such rule still exists because Brisbane made a mockery of it by convincing some 50 something year old to ride the bench for a single QAFL game so they had exclusive access to his son later that year. There was never any talk of that local league F/S rule for the Suns or Giants. I think a Tassie club is far more likely to receive F/S access to 100+ AFL gamers from Tasmania as well as their own equivalent of a norther/NGA academy. Northern academy access would've still delivered priority access to Sanders and McKercher for a hypothetical Tassie team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back