Tasmanian Football League - Name A Player

Remove this Banner Ad

My memory is much the same as Kingpin's, except less reliable.
Cooee changed their name to Burnie to try and get support of the whole town, and could not be Bulldogs because of South Launceston. (Had East and City not merged, we probably would have had the Burnie Bulldogs.)

If it was a new club, where did Cooee go? They didn't play anywhere else, which seems unusual for what was the stronger side in Burnie at the time.

Cooee became the Burnie Hawks when they went into the TFL, thats why it was such a bitter time when Burnie Tigers and Hawks nee Cooee became one club they stayed as the hawks for one year. When Peter German arrived from North Melbourne in 1995 they changed their name to the Burnie Dockers.

Daniel McAlister didn't even play in the Statewide comp, he was recruited from Smithton?

Yeah, you are right, I only put it in this thread due to "Name a Player"......

It was still interesting reading to see his version as he has often been bagged out on the Essendon board as being one of their worst draftees ever, considering he was picked at number 5 and only played six games.

Cooee became the Burnie Hawks when they went into the TFL, thats why it was such a bitter time when Burnie Tigers and Hawks nee Cooee became one club they stayed as the hawks for one year. When Peter German arrived from North Melbourne in 1995 they changed their name to the Burnie Dockers.
Ahh thanks for the confirmation :thumbsu:
I never realised the Hawks had actually absorbed the Tigers by 1994 and played as the Hawks still for that year to be honest.
I always thought it was at the end of '94 when German came down that that all came about.
I was at the last game they wore the Hawks uniform, it was against Hobart up at West Park in August 1994. Burnie Hawks held us out 11.15 (81) to 10.10 (70) before 705-people.
I do remember a few people wearing Tiger jackets in the crowd that weren't Hobart supporters that day, and what I also remember was pockets of Burnie supporters in different parts of the ground that day who were NOT on speaking terms, stupid thing was, Hobart had a travelling support base of about 40 or so who made considerably more noise than that of the home team all day :confused:

As it happened when the two clubs joined there had been two coaches.
Burnie Hawks had appointed Paul Atkins as the Senior coach for 94 and Burnie Tigers already had Mark Lee from Richmond.

The coaching job went to Mark Lee for the 94 season, Paul Atkins went to the Ovens and Murry league only to return under German.

When Mark Lee came to Tassie I was told he thought that the NTFL was suppose to be the best comp and he approached the TFL in the same manner, which was not anywhere near the level required for the TFL as it was a bloody good comp until about 2000. They however still made the finals but he was then replaced with German and that bought a new level of intensity to Burnie Football Club.

I've played with four of them. I remember whitehead having a dustup before the first bounce of the game, breaking his arm in the process and going out to continue the game. Still remember him showing me the screw that stuck out underneath his skin after he broke it

So who were the other three? And what do you think about them being hard players?

I've played with four of them. I remember whitehead having a dustup before the first bounce of the game, breaking his arm in the process and going out to continue the game. Still remember him showing me the screw that stuck out underneath his skin after he broke it
Saw a few play, yes, Wish-Undisciplined and gave away too many frees, cost the Hawks the 93 final at North Hobart v Glenorchy and 94 final at Devonport under Mark Lee but did win a premiership at Myalla and very passionate, Wright-vert tough, actually played State footy v Fitzroy,Gardam-tough and could go for sure, hard at it, Whitehead-wore more oil on the big guns than Daryn Perry but was loose down back and prone to give one or two frees away as well, big guns though, Walker-namesake at North Hobart then Triabunna eas a jet , this one hard at it , did not see the best of him due to illness, Sculzy-champion coach and bloke and very, very tough, a shame his wife Mandy got homesick

Ahh thanks for the confirmation :thumbsu:
I never realised the Hawks had actually absorbed the Tigers by 1994 and played as the Hawks still for that year to be honest.
I always thought it was at the end of '94 when German came down that that all came about.
I was at the last game they wore the Hawks uniform, it was against Hobart up at West Park in August 1994. Burnie Hawks held us out 11.15 (81) to 10.10 (70) before 705-people.
I do remember a few people wearing Tiger jackets in the crowd that weren't Hobart supporters that day, and what I also remember was pockets of Burnie supporters in different parts of the ground that day who were NOT on speaking terms, stupid thing was, Hobart had a travelling support base of about 40 or so who made considerably more noise than that of the home team all day :confused:

Dale Hall gun player at Hobart, did he also play at glen magpies?

Dale Hall gun player at Hobart, did he also play at glen magpies?
He was a good'un wasn't he? :thumbsu:
Played in the 1990 premiership for the Tigers, kicked the last goal of the game from the foot of the Ryde Street Stand too - with ease.
That was the same year he copped 8 matches for "striking" Field Umpire Gene Phair up at Boyer - was the most ridiculous report I've ever seen, happened in the pocket right in front of us at the changerooms end, right in front of where that big green bar is now.
Phair was overzealous, ran into Hally, yet Hally copped 8.
Phair umpired the Tigers' next home game and the fans were bashing on the caging around the race and almost ripped it down trying to get at him!
Hall got drafted to the Swans after the premiership and played a few games but didn't like the big city lifestyle and came back to Tassie and resumed with the Tigers in 1992.
Got the sack from Hobart by Mark Browning after he and another player (Jason Browne *I think*) were out on the gas the night before Hobart got a 97-point smashing by North Hobart in the '92 Qualifying Final in which Hally hardly got a touch.
Bobbed up at the Pies for awhile and then headed down to play in the Huon for the Bulldogs I think.
Came back to Hobart in 1999 and kicked 88 for the year and played in a premiership and was an even better player the following year but hurt himself in a country championships match - he had back, shoulder and hammy troubles near the end - which curtailed him a lot.
Was a great fella to have around the club and terrific person as well.:thumbsu:

He was a good'un wasn't he? :thumbsu:
Played in the 1990 premiership for the Tigers, kicked the last goal of the game from the foot of the Ryde Street Stand too - with ease.
That was the same year he copped 8 matches for "striking" Field Umpire Gene Phair up at Boyer - was the most ridiculous report I've ever seen, happened in the pocket right in front of us at the changerooms end, right in front of where that big green bar is now.
Phair was overzealous, ran into Hally, yet Hally copped 8.
Phair umpired the Tigers' next home game and the fans were bashing on the caging around the race and almost ripped it down trying to get at him!
Hall got drafted to the Swans after the premiership and played a few games but didn't like the big city lifestyle and came back to Tassie and resumed with the Tigers in 1992.
Got the sack from Hobart by Mark Browning after he and another player (Jason Browne *I think*) were out on the gas the night before Hobart got a 97-point smashing by North Hobart in the '92 Qualifying Final in which Hally hardly got a touch.
Bobbed up at the Pies for awhile and then headed down to play in the Huon for the Bulldogs I think.
Came back to Hobart in 1999 and kicked 88 for the year and played in a premiership and was an even better player the following year but hurt himself in a country championships match - he had back, shoulder and hammy troubles near the end - which curtailed him a lot.
Was a great fella to have around the club and terrific person as well.:thumbsu:

What about Darren Winter? Is old Windy still at it? He played at Geelong? He was a hard bastard and good skills too.
Is he still having s kick or coaching these days?

What about Darren Winter? Is old Windy still at it? He played at Geelong? He was a hard bastard and good skills too.
Is he still having s kick or coaching these days?
Now coaches the SFL team and plays Super Rules, not baking any more, works for Aussie Home Loans I think, legend at Clarence for sure and coached Burnie for a couple of years, good , scary tats !

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kevin watson champion dodges ferry player couldn't kick 4 goal tho they say in his last year before he passed awy in the g.f kicked a goal late in 4q with no boots n he took them off he went over to the light post near the clubrooms and hung them up and they still sit there today best v all went bak to kick the goal

Kevin watson champion dodges ferry player couldn't kick 4 goal tho they say in his last year before he passed awy in the g.f kicked a goal late in 4q with no boots n he took them off he went over to the light post near the clubrooms and hung them up and they still sit there today best v all went bak to kick the goal

I think you will find Kevin "Hobbs" Watson also played a lot of games for Woodsdale in the ODFA as well, winning several best and fairests (both club and association) Married a local lady from up there as well.

I think you will find Kevin "Hobbs" Watson also played a lot of games for Woodsdale in the ODFA as well, winning several best and fairests (both club and association) Married a local lady from up there as well.

Craig 'fluffy' sutton north hobart premiship player

Some of the best forwards to play at Burnie Hawks and Dockers.

Guy Grey and Andrew Herring- similar types of players, one grap marks and used their bodies well one out. Herring maybe more consistant but Grey had that X factor and could turn games in 5 minutes of fanatastic footy.

Grant Williams- Had one hell of a leap and his boots would regulary sit on player who were 6ft.

Justin Plapp- Quality player and could do most thinks well, super player at TFL level but couldn't quite make it a AFL level like fellow Penguin kid Russell Robertson who really didn't show much at TFL level but AFL speaks for it's self.

Please add more or give your opinion?:thumbsu:

Guy Grey and Andrew Herring- similar types of players, one grap marks and used their bodies well one out. Herring maybe more consistant but Grey had that X factor and could turn games in 5 minutes of fanatastic footy.

Grant Williams- Had one hell of a leap and his boots would regulary sit on player who were 6ft.

Justin Plapp- Quality player and could do most thinks well, super player at TFL level but couldn't quite make it a AFL level like fellow Penguin kid Russell Robertson who really didn't show much at TFL level but AFL speaks for it's self.

I know its NTFL but ill add him anyway
NIGEL WHITE. Played 2 years at Burnie, Kicked 95 odd goals in 2005 premiership year. Was a huge bloke that crashed packs and kicked goals. Dominated the darwin before going to NTFL.

I know its NTFL but ill add him anyway
NIGEL WHITE. Played 2 years at Burnie, Kicked 95 odd goals in 2005 premiership year. Was a huge bloke that crashed packs and kicked goals. Dominated the darwin before going to NTFL.

Yes that is right, he was quite a good player although I will say and it is my opinion he still was not as good as the others he relyied on his size to win him the ball and he also never got played on by quality fullbacks. I think he would have sruggled on players such as Anthony Cole, Anthony Whitehead and a few others that were the same size and where not pushed out of the way so easily.

Andrew Herring was also drafted by Carlton when he was 15 but he never went due to his parents wanting to finish his schooling first.

Yes that is right, he was quite a good player although I will say and it is my opinion he still was not as good as the others he relyied on his size to win him the ball and he also never got played on by quality fullbacks. I think he would have sruggled on players such as Anthony Cole, Anthony Whitehead and a few others that were the same size and where not pushed out of the way so easily.

Andrew Herring was also drafted by Carlton when he was 15 but he never went due to his parents wanting to finish his schooling first.

Spot on. Good effort to kick them tho. However, too one dimensional.

Exactly he used his size to advantage. Thats why he was so good. He smashed packs and players knew when he was coming. Was an awsome player IMO

None of these players you or I have stated are as good as Derba though. Absolutely unmatched is Dirbyshire

Exactly he used his size to advantage. Thats why he was so good. He smashed packs and players knew when he was coming. Was an awsome player IMO

None of these players you or I have stated are as good as Derba though. Absolutely unmatched is Dirbyshire

You are entitled to your opinon and I and the bulldog share the same as we said it was agood effort to get all those goals but it helps to have a side come back from a Statewide comp with heaps of quaility player further up the ground to feed him and if it wasn't him they would have found others to kick goals they had the cattle. Anything other than what achieved when they returned to the NTFL would have been poor as other sides not even in the top 5 had returned and won 3 flags!

Plapp, in my opinion, seemed unwilling to get involved physically at AFL level. I don't know why, perhaps he didn't have to play that role in the TFL as much and simply didn't know how to go about it when playing against better players. He showed his ability on occasion, and seemed to have the talent to make it; just somehow didn't. While stll at Burnie he was one of those very rare players who actually had Tasmanians talking about Tasmanian football in the mid-90s. (Mostly about his draft prospects, but in the process added interest to the TFL.)

I remember Grant Williams more as a Sandy Bay player than a Burnie one, but that's my personal bias. He certainly wasn't disgraced in his few games for Hawthorn either.

That was one of the great things about the TFL. PLayers could come from VFL/AFL level and not necessarily dominate the TFL. They would be top line players for sure, but quite a few of the locals could match it with them.
And players actually used to do it, partly because the TFL was the biggest league with player-coaches still going around, but also because the league had credibility (something Tasmanian football has lacked ever since).

Plapp, in my opinion, seemed unwilling to get involved physically at AFL level. I don't know why, perhaps he didn't have to play that role in the TFL as much and simply didn't know how to go about it when playing against better players. He showed his ability on occasion, and seemed to have the talent to make it; just somehow didn't. While stll at Burnie he was one of those very rare players who actually had Tasmanians talking about Tasmanian football in the mid-90s. (Mostly about his draft prospects, but in the process added interest to the TFL.)

I remember Grant Williams more as a Sandy Bay player than a Burnie one, but that's my personal bias. He certainly wasn't disgraced in his few games for Hawthorn either.

That was one of the great things about the TFL. PLayers could come from VFL/AFL level and not necessarily dominate the TFL. They would be top line players for sure, but quite a few of the locals could match it with them.
And players actually used to do it, partly because the TFL was the biggest league with player-coaches still going around, but also because the league had credibility (something Tasmanian football has lacked ever since).

While he never really set the world on fire in the SWL, Damien Brown did towel up Michael Gardiner in a state game vs WA and then went on to be a premiership ruckman with Port Adelaide, as well as dominating in country footy leagues in Vic.

Plapps biggest problem was that he went from being a lead up ff with great hands in Tasmania to being an undersized ff or stay at home fp in the afl. Needed to have a team that would have played him like Carlton did with Brad Pierce. Similar size and types of players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back