Suns in the Media - Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure what word was used. I'm assuming it was the f word, like Finlayson. The word has historically been used to denigrate gay people and its use is problematic as it infers that there is something wrong with being gay. It doesn't really matter what the sexuality of the person it is addressed to. It would be like calling a white person the n word.
If you were a white person that got called a n@$#%r you would laugh it off, same as if you were straight player being called a f@$@#t.

I'm not sure what word was used. I'm assuming it was the f word, like Finlayson. The word has historically been used to denigrate gay people and its use is problematic as it infers that there is something wrong with being gay. It doesn't really matter what the sexuality of the person it is addressed to. It would be like calling a white person the n word.

South park has a whole episode on this.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Reposting what I said in the negativity dungeon since it's relevant re; Wil Powell

Not sure which thread to post this in, but I'm absolutely livid with the recent story that Wil Powell has been suspended for using a homophobic slur during QClash 26. I don't care that Wil Powell's suspension was longer than Finlayson's and in fact I'm happy about it. My internal monologue was screaming "F**K YOU WIL" like Rodney Eade in the famous Minson clip when I saw this. Powell needs to go away for a while and think about what he's done. He apologized, but so did Finlayson until a week later when he basically backtracked on the apology to complain about getting suspended. Do I a have to assume every apology for homophobia was insincere now? I don't care if anyone else on this forum is angry at me for despising Wil Powell for what he's done, it's going to take a long time for me to forgive him.

Additional note: Pretty disappointed but not surprised to see people more angry about the suspension length than the act itself. Words can deal real harm and pretending otherwise is either ignorant or malicious. It's not like we're arguing the historical context of some medieval slur for the Moravians or Ostrogoths or something, that slur has an extremely recent history of being used in connection to very recent hate crimes.

If you were a white person that got called a n@$#%r you would laugh it off, same as if you were straight player being called a f@$@#t.
I certainly wouldn't be laughing it off that someone has chosen to use a word that has been used historically as a racial slur. I would be highly offended that they thought that was in the slightest bit ok.

Reposting what I said in the negativity dungeon since it's relevant re; Wil Powell

Not sure which thread to post this in, but I'm absolutely livid with the recent story that Wil Powell has been suspended for using a homophobic slur during QClash 26. I don't care that Wil Powell's suspension was longer than Finlayson's and in fact I'm happy about it. My internal monologue was screaming "F**K YOU WIL" like Rodney Eade in the famous Minson clip when I saw this. Powell needs to go away for a while and think about what he's done. He apologized, but so did Finlayson until a week later when he basically backtracked on the apology to complain about getting suspended. Do I a have to assume every apology for homophobia was insincere now? I don't care if anyone else on this forum is angry at me for despising Wil Powell for what he's done, it's going to take a long time for me to forgive him.

Additional note: Pretty disappointed but not surprised to see people more angry about the suspension length than the act itself. Words can deal real harm and pretending otherwise is either ignorant or malicious. It's not like we're arguing the historical context of some medieval slur for the Moravians or Ostrogoths or something, that slur has an extremely recent history of being used in connection to very recent hate crimes.

Wil did not commit a hate crime. He used a homophobic slur against a (statistically) not homosexual oppo player.

Can you please explain to me the harm that was caused from this incident specifically?

I refuse to believe somebody could be genuinely this offended on behalf of someone else for something so minor. (Yes minor, we are talking about a single solitary word. 1 word.)

I’ve met Wil numerous times, a better bloke you wouldn’t find. He runs a free kick and catch spending his own time with local Gold Coast kids.

The punishment doesn’t fit the crime.

This is a very OTT reaction.

I’ve met Wil numerous times, a better bloke you wouldn’t find. He runs a free kick and catch spending his own time with local Gold Coast kids.

Turns out you can be a good bloke and say a dumb thing.

Nobody is saying he is now some kind of pantomime villain.

Hopefully he’ll be an even better bloke after this experience. If he is working with kids and wants to be more of a role model, all the more reason for him to reflect and be better.

I have all the time in the world for Will as a player. And I’ll have that again when he comes back.

He let himself, the club and the AFL down. That’s it.

You're easily offended then.

Societal standards are changing, and the AFL is attempting to set boundaries and precedents to match.

Will stuffed up. Emotions got the better of him. He crossed the accepted line. He knew the consequence would be severe. Serve the time, learn from it & move on.

Societal standards are changing, and the AFL is attempting to set boundaries and precedents to match.

Will stuffed up. Emotions got the better of him. He crossed the accepted line. He knew the consequence would be severe. Serve the time, learn from it & move on.
Nice nutshell Corks

Turns out you can be a good bloke and say a dumb thing.

Nobody is saying he is now some kind of pantomime villain.

Hopefully he’ll be an even better bloke after this experience. If he is working with kids and wants to be more of a role model, all the more reason for him to reflect and be better.

I have all the time in the world for Will as a player. And I’ll have that again when he comes back.

He let himself, the club and the AFL down. That’s it.
I agree but 5 weeks is absolutely ridiculous.

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No one is saying he isn't a good bloke. But he needs be to better. Like we all do.

Yep corks has pretty much nailed it.

Weather or not we've course corrected too far as a society is neither here nor there.

My only hope is that it stays consistent in its policing and enforcement.

Agree it's dumb, stupid and all that but my point is the time doesn't fit the crime.
And can someone explain to me how it's a 'homophobic slur' when the player it's directed towards is not offendered by the comment on the basis of his sexuality.
If the player is gay 3 weeks plus no problem.
I'm assuming he isn't so how is the comment homophobic?

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Does this mean the victim would have to disclose their sexual orientation to the AFL so that they can determine the severity of the slur?

Apparently its ok to be a homosexual these days so why would anyone be offended by being called one?
As two users with homo appropriate user names I feel like we're uniquely positioned to talk on these matters whilst the riff raff just don't get it.

Wil Powell’s social media posts exposed after AFL’s homophobic slur ban

Wil Powell’s social media posts exposed after AFL’s homophobic slur ban

Who ever even bothered searching for this needs to get a life omfg

Yes, lets go back to when one player could call another player anything they liked using the pathetic excuse that is was "in the heat of battle".
Back when men where men and black and gay people knew their place (ostracized), as did the ladies (in the kitchen). And the N word and the F work were thrown around with gay abandon.

Good times.

It was pathetic then and it is pathetic now.

PS. It is not about politics it is about respect and basic human decency.

PPS. Time to read a book or go for a walk, the effing internet rots your brain.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back