FTA-TV Succession

Remove this Banner Ad

The interplay between Greg and Tom throughout the series is outrageous 🤣

I've watched it all twice already - there's no doubt I'll go back again in about ten years, like I have for BB and Sopranos.

I don't know why, but the first time I watched it I got a vibe of Tom being into Greg but that never eventuated and was likely me just mis-reading Tom's friendliness in the first few eps.

I don't know why, but the first time I watched it I got a vibe of Tom being into Greg but that never eventuated and was likely me just mis-reading Tom's friendliness in the first few eps.

I never thought it was sexual, probably just a chance to show the personality of Tom when he is working with someone who wasn't his wife or her family.

The biggest bully in the playground is always the second-weakest kid.

Greg was the only one in the inner circle that had less power than Tom.

Nearly finished S2 and the biggest problem is that there are minimal consequences for anyone’s actions in the episode that follows

Shib announces she’s the successor…all big sighs and mumurs and on to the next episode with barely a mention

Logan knocks Roman’s tooth out with a slap…barely followed up next episode

Still addicted but some continuity issues when binging

Nearly finished S2 and the biggest problem is that there are minimal consequences for anyone’s actions in the episode that follows

Shib announces she’s the successor…all big sighs and mumurs and on to the next episode with barely a mention

Brace yourself for more of that. Don't want to spoil anything but this show is best enjoyed if you don't get too invested in the overarching plot, and just enjoy the episodes for what they are.

Dunno if I'd call that continuity issues or just that people move on and roll with the (sometimes literal) punches.

Dunno if I'd call that continuity issues or just that people move on and roll with the (sometimes literal) punches.
Yeah continuity usually means things like someone was wearing a tie in a scene then they weren't then they were kind of thing.

It's more than "roll with the punches" though - lots of dei ex machina and unexplained u turns, etc.

Spoke too soon

Logan “apologised” to Ro in the back of the Limo who declared they never contacted with the slap
You'll find the other things you thought got ignored also get mentioned.

Brace yourself for more of that. Don't want to spoil anything but this show is best enjoyed if you don't get too invested in the overarching plot, and just enjoy the episodes for what they are.
Yep, The Sopranos didn't really have any overarching plot either - like Succession, it was an ongoing power struggle between individuals, shifting alliances etc - but stands as one of the greatest bits of telly ever.

Sometimes its just the interplay between the characters that drives a great show, and not dependent on some end goal or macguffin that it's working it's way towards.

Yep, The Sopranos didn't really have any overarching plot either - like Succession, it was an ongoing power struggle between individuals, shifting alliances etc - but stands as one of the greatest bits of telly ever.

Sometimes its just the interplay between the characters that drives a great show, and not dependent on some end goal or macguffin that it's working it's way towards.
The Sopranos didn't have an overarching plot, but it didn't end up with everyone ending every season (bar the last) in exactly the same position where they started. The first 3 seasons of Succession literally go nowhere, with no change whatsoever actually occurring. It's only with the death of Logan Roy in S4 that the show starts to make any progress at all towards a conclusion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Sopranos didn't have an overarching plot, but it didn't end up with everyone ending every season (bar the last) in exactly the same position where they started. The first 3 seasons of Succession literally go nowhere, with no change whatsoever actually occurring. It's only with the death of Logan Roy in S4 that the show starts to make any progress at all towards a conclusion.

Is that how each season ended up? That's not my memory of it.

Is that how each season ended up? That's not my memory of it.
The first 3 seasons are fine character-driven storytelling, but ultimately the characters go nowhere. Nowhere at all. Anyone who steps forward in the season is right back where they began by the end.

The death of Logan Roy, in season 4, is the trigger for the show finally starting to move forward to what was a very satisfying conclusion.

The first 3 seasons are fine character-driven storytelling, but ultimately the characters go nowhere. Nowhere at all. Anyone who steps forward in the season is right back where they began by the end.

The death of Logan Roy, in season 4, is the trigger for the show finally starting to move forward to what was a very satisfying conclusion.

It's been a while since I've watched, but I thought that was kind of the point of the show.

None of the characters are likeable, none of them had earned their status or position in the company, each had major character flaws that made them unsuitable for leadership. Their inability to grow and develop was (in large part) why Logan held on passed the point any logical board would have allowed.

None of the three were worthy candidates, and any time one showed a glimmer of potential they found a way to trip themselves over. Rarely were they cut down by an opponent's move, it was always self-inflicted.

Thanks; terrific post. Anything else you’d like to spoil for now and eternity?

Not read anything above? Fmd

Matthew Macfadyen Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Last edited:
The Sopranos ended 20 years ago, and Succession more than a year ago.

Spoilers? Get ****ed.

He's pretty clearly watching it through for the first time.

This was completely unneccessary, not cool mate.

Thanks; terrific post. Anything else you’d like to spoil for now and eternity?

Not read anything above? Fmd

Matthew Macfadyen Hbo GIF by SuccessionHBO

Well, yeah if you haven't watched it, don't enter the thread. Not hard....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back