Subi Lions Supporters Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

In case you missed it. Fremantle won.
Yeah I listened to a radio stream from Sport FM. Safe to say I was disappointed with the outcome. Part of me wants to say that Subi should never have been playing an AFL team, but the other part of me says that Peel did nothing wrong. One thing is for sure - the WAFL either has to allow standalone AFL reserves teams or tweak the rules and increase the amount of games for an AFL listed player to qualify to play WAFL finals.

Yeah I listened to a radio stream from Sport FM. Safe to say I was disappointed with the outcome. Part of me wants to say that Subi should never have been playing an AFL team, but the other part of me says that Peel did nothing wrong. One thing is for sure - the WAFL either has to allow standalone AFL reserves teams or tweak the rules and increase the amount of games for an AFL listed player to qualify to play WAFL finals.
Yeah I don't blame Peel. Still feels like an unsatisfactory outcome

A historic day for the Lions yesterday, becoming the first club to win the League, Reserves and Colts premierships in the one season. A fantastic day for everyone involved with the Subiaco Football Club and one which makes all of the hard work worthwhile, particularly for the League boys who made up for some tough losses in the last two years to go through an entire season undefeated and became the first club to do so in the WAFL in 72 years. Awesome stuff. :thumbsu:

Great to see such a good crowd yesterday as well, more than 25,000 which is fantastic result for the competition. I hope now with such a great facility for the WAFL to play its most prestigious game each year at that we have crowds back to the levels of what we were getting several years ago and in previous times before then. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
looking forward to the outcome of this.

Wonder if East Freo and Steele Blue will eventually follow suit. Those stadiums are terrible.

Glory, glory Subiaco, the team is striving on! :thumbsu:

What a fantastic win by the club, a powerful performance from start to finish. Really looking forward to seeing what evolves over the off-season and also for next year. :thumbsu:

Go the mighty Lions!! :thumbsu:

It will be interesting to see what the WAFC does to try and balance the competition. As much as I love seeing the Lions dominate, they need to make sure the WAFL clubs are all in reasonable financial shape.

I reckon Sokol will be picked up for sure this T&D period. Can he play midfield at all or is he strictly a medium forward / HFF?

It will be interesting to see what the WAFC does to try and balance the competition. As much as I love seeing the Lions dominate, they need to make sure the WAFL clubs are all in reasonable financial shape.

I reckon Sokol will be picked up for sure this T&D period. Can he play midfield at all or is he strictly a medium forward / HFF?

Clubs shouldnt spend what they dont have ... as I live in Melbourne I'm not across Subis financial strength - do they simply outspend or are they better managed?

Clubs shouldnt spend what they dont have ... as I live in Melbourne I'm not across Subis financial strength - do they simply outspend or are they better managed?
I dont know about overspending, but there has been talk of them benefitting greatly from a deal with Subi Oval regarding bar revenue and dodgy salary cap deals.

They have definitely got an awesome side and they have a culture of success. Thats attractive and builds momentum which leads to more success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi everyone, I'm just wondering if anyone would have any info on where I can find a high-quality full version of the Subiaco song. Currently, there is a high quality version of the song on YouTube, but it cuts off at 1:22 without the outro. However, the official Subiaco channel itself uploaded a full version of the song, which is at a significantly lower quality. I sent an email to the club but they said the version on their channel is the only version they have. Does anyone know where/how I could find a full copy in high quality?

Try the club.

Yeah, that was the first thing I did. They said the low-quality one on their channel was the only one they had

Is there a reason why there is two sides that both play at Leederville ? Why didnt the Lions move to Subiaco Oval when it finished being an AFL venue?

Is there a reason why there is two sides that both play at Leederville ?

Yes, it allows both East Perth and Subiaco to share the costs of running the venue. It's basically halved the running expenses of the ground for each club by 50%.

The Victorian said:
Why didnt the Lions move to Subiaco Oval when it finished being an AFL venue?

The main reason is the ground was closed and the grandstands (aside from one) were demolished. The ground itself still exists but is now part of the grounds for the new public school in the area, Bob Hawke College. The ground is also used for community and public use.

Even if the ground were still in operation, Subiaco Oval would cost too much to run by itself and Subiaco already has tenancy at Leederville Oval with East Perth in an agreement with the City of Vincent. It would have been nice to see Subiaco back at the ground but it would have been a difficult and expensive exercise, perhaps if the ground had have been retained with the WAFC and perhaps the Eagles using it as their headquarters it may have been viable but the government closed the ground and opted to build a school for the area which was needed due to increasing enrolments.

Further to the question above, I remember going to Subi Ocal in the last year or two that the Lions played there. Was weird being in a 43,000 seat stadium with roughly 1,000 people in attendance. Not commercial to bother opening much of the catering and any more than one of the stands etc.

Generally better setup at Leederville - big carpark next to the ground, grass banks more conducive for kids being in attendance plus there's room for bouncy castles etc. My toddler loves it.

With SD playing in the Colts, Perth playing in the Reserves & SF playing in the League well and truly helped to reach that figure.

Swan Districts playing beforehand certainly helped as did South Fremantle playing in the League GF. Perth perhaps not so much as their game was in the morning but they do have a passionate fanbase.

The real question is given the success of the game, does the WAFL consider playing the WAFL GF the week after the AFL GF as a more permanent fixture? West Coast have withdrawn from the WAFL for 2022 which reduces the competition to nine teams, does that mean we go back to how things were with 20 rounds (10 home games each) per season? Certainly interesting times over the off-season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back