Bumped Steven Motlop (merged roast threads)

Remove this Banner Ad

No that was a different list of just our players with no minimum kick number.

People just want to see him break the lines. There is a perception that he should be that kind of player and when he doesn't it is just assume that he doesn't because he is lazy.

I just don't think he's anywhere as quick as he was circa 2013 - still a smart player who does dumb things though ...

We are paying overs for him.

He is only good when the game opens up and he can get a clean break on the overlap run.

He is woeful in contested footy games, which is becoming the norm this season across the competition.

The game is played in rugby like scrums most of the time.

Thurlow has kicked the ball 100 times Lana !?

As to the debate on Motlop's kicking, the bloke hits a target nearly every damn time. Leave him alone. All of you.

People probably don't like the way he stops dead, looks around and pops the ball up, but he is pretty effective with this method of finding a target imo..

Its infuriating..

I get the use of it.. and accept it HOWEVER when he does it and the loop of the ball allows the opposition to enter the contest due SOLEY to the air he puts into his uncontested possession... Massively amateur IMO.

GO Catters

We are paying overs for him.

He is only good when the game opens up and he can get a clean break on the overlap run.

He is woeful in contested footy games, which is becoming the norm this season across the competition.

The game is played in rugby like scrums most of the time.

agree that contested footy is rarely his go.
he *can* step up slightly in that regard, he does have another gear contested-footy wise I reckon - but his best footy is in transition, he's generally involved in most of our chains running it forward and is pretty good in that regard.
he'll probably always have the same flaws in his game that he has now, the club needs to weight that up against the things he does well before deciding how hard they want to go at retaining him - if indeed he wants to go anywhere else anyway ..

Its infuriating..

I get the use of it.. and accept it HOWEVER when he does it and the loop of the ball allows the opposition to enter the contest due SOLEY to the air he puts into his uncontested possession... Massively amateur IMO.

GO Catters

see I don't think he *always* executes like that, Daz (I acknowledge you did say 'when' he loops it; just wanted to discuss it further) - tonight in particular I thought there were at least 2 (maybe 3) times that he helped slice open the GWS midfield with smart short-ish kicks ...

Duncan is often acknowledged as the best kick in our team, I reckon Mitch kicks to advantage very well but Motlop hits up targets just as regularly.
I'd take the skip if pushed though ;)

Love to know everyone's thoughts on if Motlop goes who he goes to? His form is stinky and time is running out for him to demand a big pay day from the Cats. My guess would be someone like WCE, lots of inside grunt with Shuey, Mitchell and Priddis but someone to partner up with Jetta on the outside where we know he likes it.
IMO more than likely stays due to no team willing to.roll the dice with him.

Had a stinker. If we had some depth I'd probably be getting him to find it 30 times in the VFL. He's just invisible at the moment.
Should have been dropped earlier in season.
Wont happen though.
Has whole games with basically no impact these days.
A shadow of the player he was circa 2013.

see I don't think he *always* executes like that, Daz (I acknowledge you did say 'when' he loops it; just wanted to discuss it further) - tonight in particular I thought there were at least 2 (maybe 3) times that he helped slice open the GWS midfield with smart short-ish kicks ...

Duncan is often acknowledged as the best kick in our team, I reckon Mitch kicks to advantage very well but Motlop hits up targets just as regularly.
I'd take the skip if pushed though ;)
Yep, he did this several times with pinpoint passes under pressure and heavy traffic.

Love to know everyone's thoughts on if Motlop goes who he goes to? His form is stinky and time is running out for him to demand a big pay day from the Cats. My guess would be someone like WCE, lots of inside grunt with Shuey, Mitchell and Priddis but someone to partner up with Jetta on the outside where we know he likes it.
Does "roll the dice" mean he's s**t? He won't run, tackle, shits his dacks if he's about to make body contact, he's quite possibly the weakest player I can remember. Piss him off to whoever for whatever and free up some cash. Hawks or Port would make a good home for him lol.

I reckon he'll end up at the Suns.

Honestly though, as long as he goes, I don't really care where.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Get Cocky and Parfitt through the middle and put Motlop as a small forward again where he can be creative. He used to get around players and burn them off with speed so often and now he always gets caught or ends up propping and making a poor pass, don't understand it at all

One of the most frustrating plays for me was with about 9:15 or thereabouts to play. Shaw kicks out wide to their 50m line. Mumford chased hard, but Motlop chose to zone instead of chase.

He gave up the chase and pressure act on who had the ball.

Mumford swung around and got the ball forward where the resultant Whitfield goal eventuated.

If he put pressure on, who knows what would've happened?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back