Status
Not open for further replies.

Heater39

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's hardly a secret that they have s**t youth. A combination of trading away draft picks for recycled players and Lyon's reluctance to play the kids being the reason.

We have Stanley, Steven, Smith, Armitage. All young players. Any more young players and you can kiss the season goodbye. Clearly we need a good balance and i think we have a good balance this week. Clearly the coaches still think we have a good chance, we have added youth to the team and also brought in older more experienced players. If we lose this week, then the season is gone.

our problem isnt the age of our players or our inability to bring in youth. the problem we have at present is players form and effort.

ross lyons selection is clearly aimed at players effort and form. he is going to play the players that give 110% and will die for the team. the ins and outs send a clear message to the playing group: "give 100% effort and play for the team or your out"

i am happy with the decision and hope the same message is sent after the brisbane game.

players like gamble, gram, jones, peake, gilbert, dempster, montagna and dal have all been missing when the game was there to be won.

We have Stanley, Steven, Smith, Armitage. All young players. Any more young players and you can kiss the season goodbye. .

The season is gone, Lyon just refuses to recognise the reality of it.
He should be looking right now about what he wants next year to look like, a new start or a crack at it next year.
Either way it means turning over the team by a big chunk from this round.
He's going to fall on his sword

I've picked Brisbane as a smoky.

St. Kilda are just about cactus. You don't lose your ability overnight but to me there seems to be deeper issues. Either off field situations or being deflated over the last couple of seasons by narrow GF losses.

Of course they could turn it all around as it is very early in the season. It's not all doom and gloom but as I said, just about cactus (in my opinion).

our problem isnt the age of our players or our inability to bring in youth. the problem we have at present is players form and effort.

ross lyons selection is clearly aimed at players effort and form. he is going to play the players that give 110% and will die for the team. the ins and outs send a clear message to the playing group: "give 100% effort and play for the team or your out"

i am happy with the decision and hope the same message is sent after the brisbane game.

players like gamble, gram, jones, peake, gilbert, dempster, montagna and dal have all been missing when the game was there to be won.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There season isnt over.

They've played 3 games. Lyon is having one last crack to spark his side into action.

If things are still looking bleak in a few weeks he'll start blooding the youth, he's said as much himself.

Cripps can play.

The season is gone, Lyon just refuses to recognise the reality of it.
He should be looking right now about what he wants next year to look like, a new start or a crack at it next year.
Either way it means turning over the team by a big chunk from this round.
He's going to fall on his sword

Many experts predicted Collingwood's season was gone after their first 3 games last season too.

the difference is collingwood had room for improvement and there list hadn't peaked yet. can't say the same for the saints. they are playing next to no new young players, so where is the improvement coming from?

Jack Steven, Alistair Smith, Rhys Stanley and David Armitage are all becoming regular selections this year, did you expect us to turn over our entire 22 players after 3 sub standard games? How short sighted are you?

Many experts predicted Collingwood's season was gone after their first 3 games last season too.

the difference is collingwood had room for improvement and there list hadn't peaked yet. can't say the same for the saints. they are playing next to no new young players, so where is the improvement coming from?

Actually Collingwood didn't look to have much improvement at round 3 last year. Wellingham was a 'spud' Pendlebury disappointing and an injury riddled Riewoldtless (for most of the game anyway) side kept tem basically scoreless fo the 2nd half..................things can change!

Would have thought after the pasting by Essendon the time was right to introduce new blood to the side

Instead v Brisbane its

OUT - Gamble, Peake, Clarke

IN - Baker, Koschitzke, McQualter

Is Ross Lyon just ultra conservative or is St kilda youth not much chop?
A bit of both, it's very fair to say. Plus injuries to Cripps and Ledger, who almost certainly would have played by now (this year) if they'd been fully fit from the start.
As I've said previously, though, I believe if some of our "youth" had been at Collingwood, or Fremantle, they'd be going very well right now, as they seem to develop them so much better than we have of late.
And we introduced the "new blood" last week, with Smith, Stanley and Steven all coming in, for the loss to Essendon. They've all been retained for this week, with the "dead wood" of Gamble, Peake and Raph Clarke getting the ass.
Winmar is also apparently very close to getting a game.

Wellingham + one of Astbury/Reid/Vardy/Stratton would look pretty good right now :(

I think we have the youth but alot of them are unknown at the top level and Ross seems to have decided that we are still in with one last crack in 2011.

Personally I'd start the rebuild now and look to start the charge again next year, peaking 2014 and beyond with BJ, Steven, Stanley, Armo, Walsh, Lynch, Geary, McEvoy etc Maybe with Dal and Joey just hanging on.

No idea what Tom Lynch has to do to get a game. Could be off to GWS.

I don't necessarily know if they don't have kids, but I DO know that Ross Lyon hasn't given anyone a chance to see them, which could be the problem.

Could come back to bite him in the ass.

Right now, only Rhys Stanley and David Armitage look like they'll be anything decent. Everyone else I've seen looks average at best. But again, there's probably a few we just haven't seen.

After 2 grand final losses its hard to get the team up and running again. It would all seem so pointless to alot of those players, all that hard work for nothing. Even if they don't admit it it has to have some effect. Could be a Collingwood 2004 type year for them.

Having said that its not over just yet, its still early. They haven't lost their skill, they just need to get that enthusiasm to work hard back, maybe the bye will help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back