Roast Soccer host angry at AFL twitter

Remove this Banner Ad

I wouldn’t say the AFL is trying to kill other codes, but it certainly doesn’t like letting them having its day in the sun.

E.g.

• Releasing the AFL fixture while the Socceroos played their round of 16 game.
  • Constantly posting about 2km time trials while the test summer is kicking into gear.

The AFL does all it can to keep eyeballs on itself and away from other sports.

Does the AFL view cricket as an enemy in any capacity though?
Maybe aside from stadium contracts, which has nothing to do with stealing 'attention' from spectators.

I've always viewed it as 'footy in winter, cricket in summer' and every other sport in Australia tries to compete with them, but won't ever make serious inroads as it's far too entrenched in our culture.

Does the AFL view cricket as an enemy in any capacity though?
Maybe aside from stadium contracts, which has nothing to do with stealing 'attention' from spectators.

I've always viewed it as 'footy in winter, cricket in summer' and every other sport in Australia tries to compete with them, but won't ever make serious inroads as it's far too entrenched in our culture.

As a cricket fan it feels to me that the window where cricket is the centre of attention has gotten smaller.

We won the World Cup as the underdog in probably one of the Australian men’s team’s greatest ever achievements, and four days later the draft was taking a good chunk of media attention.

As a cricket fan it feels to me that the window where cricket is the centre of attention has gotten smaller.

We won the World Cup as the underdog in probably one of the Australian men’s team’s greatest ever achievements, and four days later the draft was taking a good chunk of media attention.

Cricket has largely caused its own problems, and looks to be moving to predominantly t20 franchise leagues at the expense of everything else.

Cricket has largely caused its own problems, and looks to be moving to predominantly t20 franchise leagues at the expense of everything else.

Which is a) not being driven by the Australian market, and b) a product of the fact that there is a small window where cricket has attention in this country.

Realistically there’s a month to six weeks where cricket is relevant here. Australia needs to have a thriving T20 comp to compete with India and the rest of the world, but it also wants test cricket to remain king. This means we have to cram the BBL and the test summer in to that one window and we end up with neither being their best product.

Again, I completely understand why the AFL as a business wants as much attention as possible.

But as a footy fan who likes other sports, particularly cricket, I see the detrimental impact the AFL has on these other codes and I don’t like it.

Which is a) not being driven by the Australian market, and b) a product of the fact that there is a small window where cricket has attention in this country.

Realistically there’s a month to six weeks where cricket is relevant here. Australia needs to have a thriving T20 comp to compete with India and the rest of the world, but it also wants test cricket to remain king. This means we have to cram the BBL and the test summer in to that one window and we end up with neither being their best product.

Again, I completely understand why the AFL as a business wants as much attention as possible.

But as a footy fan who likes other sports, particularly cricket, I see the detrimental impact the AFL has on these other codes and I don’t like it.

Interesting claim, the saturation coverage of the nrl in nsw, qld and through news.ltd national arm in news.com.au is worse during cricket season, listen to Kerry o'keefe talking about it specifically last year and it's not even a national sport. They've taken the AFL's 'stay in the news all year' approach of previous years and doubled it. It helps that Peter V'landy's is good mates with Lachlan Murdoch. Eddie McGuire spoke about this just last week how he has suffocated any mention of the AFL in the northern states through his media contacts. So cricket is part of the collateral.

I suspect I'm not the first to comment on this, but did anyone else do a double-take at the word "Carlton" printed on McRae's shirt?

(Also wondering at Ange's neck size)
Carlton Zero is a sponsor.
Just because CUB, Carlton draught is a brewer it does not mean they are Blues supporters. 🤣

My first love is obvious. I also love soccer and follow Liverpool.
Two best games in the world IMO.

No point in awful remarks of any sport.
They all have fans that get satisfaction in watching.

Yes, Ange needs to lose several KG's

Last edited:
If people get a hard on watching Darts Synchronised Swimming, Curling and pretty much anything else.
Great!

Interesting claim, the saturation coverage of the nrl in nsw, qld and through news.ltd national arm in news.com.au is worse during cricket season, listen to Kerry o'keefe talking about it specifically last year and it's not even a national sport. They've taken the AFL's 'stay in the news all year' approach of previous years and doubled it. It helps that Peter V'landy's is good mates with Lachlan Murdoch. Eddie McGuire spoke about this just last week how he has suffocated any mention of the AFL in the northern states through his media contacts. So cricket is part of the collateral.

I don’t disagree, but I can only speak to my experiences being in a footy state.

The conniptions over the 2023 AFL draft were incredibly performative and insincere imo. No one with even slightest interest in the Socceroos or the World Cup was going to be distracted by the draft. The fact that so many footy fans have internalised the narrative of the 'big bad bully AFL' is incredibly depressing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back