Research Small questions that don't require a whole thread

Remove this Banner Ad

During the 2009 Callington footy club season, one result bugs me.

Torrens Valley 62.28 (436) d Callington 0.0 (0).
Best -J Sitters, J Hill, T Young, M Clayton, C Young. Callington: Z Minear, D Taylor, C Wilson, D White, L Birthisel. Goals - Torrens Valley: J Sitters 13, J Hill 12, M Clayton, J Trewen 8, R Battams 6, D Fox 5, C Young 4.

62.28 doesn't add up to 436, only 400, but I see 62.28 (436) spread around everywhere without the math being double-checked. I haven't been able to find a full list of goalkickers for TV, but the existing list accounts for 56 goals. I'm inclined to believe that there's a wider spread of goalkickers that would give the proper total of 68, as I don't believe six goals could be spread out given the lowest goalkicker on the list already has four goals.

Can anybody who knows about the Hills league confirm whether it's 68.28 (436) or 62.28 (400)?

68.28 (432) is the correct figure going by this ref in the Sunday Mail issue of 17 May 2009
unfortunately, no list of goalkickers found yet...

Attachments

• T Valley vs Callington.jpg
    T Valley vs Callington.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

68.28 (432) is the correct figure going by this ref in the Sunday Mail issue of 17 May 2009
unfortunately, no list of goalkickers found yet...
I would suggest the reporter didn't do the maths either

Unless there is some leeway around '400 point belting' the report has 2 scenarios as well

A 400 point loss or 432

During the 2009 Callington footy club season, one result bugs me.

Torrens Valley 62.28 (436) d Callington 0.0 (0).
Best -J Sitters, J Hill, T Young, M Clayton, C Young. Callington: Z Minear, D Taylor, C Wilson, D White, L Birthisel. Goals - Torrens Valley: J Sitters 13, J Hill 12, M Clayton, J Trewen 8, R Battams 6, D Fox 5, C Young 4.

62.28 doesn't add up to 436, only 400, but I see 62.28 (436) spread around everywhere without the math being double-checked. I haven't been able to find a full list of goalkickers for TV, but the existing list accounts for 56 goals. I'm inclined to believe that there's a wider spread of goalkickers that would give the proper total of 68, as I don't believe six goals could be spread out given the lowest goalkicker on the list already has four goals.

Can anybody who knows about the Hills league confirm whether it's 68.28 (436) or 62.28 (400)?
There was a game in 2019 where Great Western scored 79.41.515 to Ararat 1.0.6
918BA93F-9F8E-401D-9DC6-3FC77A21DA1C.jpeg

Has anyone else been on the books of four VFL/AFL clubs without playing a game?

View attachment 1190966

Bartsch was actually on a fifth list, he was drafted by Essendon after that article and they convinced him to move to Melbourne, but he only played ressies. There was an article about him in the Age about 20 years ago, might be able to dig it up.

Edit: here it is https://www.theage.com.au/national/a-bitter-draft-without-a-debut-20031122-gdwsgp.html

And because I’m a numbers nerd … he was allocated the number 4 at the Crows in their first season, there was talk he’d be booted out of it if they were able to convince Sticks Kernahan to move from Carlton.

An interesting yarn I came across, posted sixteen years ago:

"and for novelty, a "minus" score:
St Marys had points deducted because of aggressive tactics...their opponents Canterbury kicked 12.4 (76), to win by 88 points!"

Stranger things have happened.
I managed to locate the original article from The Age, which gives us this story:

"Last week we heard plenty about football's highest ever scores - what about the lowest. And if you're thinking that a team cannot fare any worse than being scoreless, you're wrong. Reader William Cordner tells us that many years ago in a suburban colts match one of the teams, St Marys, incurred the wrath of the umpire for its aggressive tactics and not only were three players sent off but two goals were subtracted from their score (zero) as well. All of which made for an interesting scoreline that saw St Marys' opponents, Canterbury, kicking 12.4 (76) . . . to win by 88 points."

I can confidently say this was from the Eastern Suburban Churches league since I've read about it being pretty rough and tough.

The question is, did this really happen, and if it did, what became of the game? I doubt an umpire can reduce a team's score down to the negatives, but like I said, stranger things...

An interesting yarn I came across, posted sixteen years ago:

"and for novelty, a "minus" score:
St Marys had points deducted because of aggressive tactics...their opponents Canterbury kicked 12.4 (76), to win by 88 points!"

Stranger things have happened.
I managed to locate the original article from The Age, which gives us this story:

"Last week we heard plenty about football's highest ever scores - what about the lowest. And if you're thinking that a team cannot fare any worse than being scoreless, you're wrong. Reader William Cordner tells us that many years ago in a suburban colts match one of the teams, St Marys, incurred the wrath of the umpire for its aggressive tactics and not only were three players sent off but two goals were subtracted from their score (zero) as well. All of which made for an interesting scoreline that saw St Marys' opponents, Canterbury, kicking 12.4 (76) . . . to win by 88 points."

I can confidently say this was from the Eastern Suburban Churches league since I've read about it being pretty rough and tough.

The question is, did this really happen, and if it did, what became of the game? I doubt an umpire can reduce a team's score down to the negatives, but like I said, stranger things...

Doubt very much that such a result ever occurred.

Or, on the day, a frustrated official was at end of his tether, and the governing body fairly soon after would surely have declared score null and void and listed losing score as 0.0

Unless they had some funny bylaw in their competition rules stating the umpire could do that.
Wonder where they would have got their umpires ( Priests/ Vergers/ Archbishops? anyone they can rope in on the day?)
would they have had to have been qualified or just acceptable to both sides ?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From a quick Google, the most known lead changes in a game between 2008 and 2014 is 19.

Matter of Stats found this out and defined a lead change as whenever a team kicks a score that either reduces the margin to 0, or in the case of a goal, if the margin counts through 0 (if a team leads by 4 and concedes a goal, it counts 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2). The first score of the game does not count.

A famous example before 2008 was the 2002 Grand Final, which featured thirteen lead changes.

Question: Can we find a game that exceeded 19 lead changes? I think the best candidate would be this Melbourne vs South Melbourne shootout from 1979. The margin at each break up until Melbourne kicked away a little bit stayed within a goal.

One question that I have wanted answered for years but have had no luck with is about the SANFL team the Woodville-West Torrens Eagles. When the West Torrens Eagles and Woodville Warriors merged after the 1990 season to form the WWT Eagles from 1991 onwards, have there been any players who played for both West Torrens and Woodville prior to the merger and then the new WWT Eagles team?

Like Scott McIvor and Alistair Lynch both played for Fitzroy, the Brisbane Bears and the Brisbane Lions, or NRL player Brad Mackay who played for all three of the St George Dragons, the Illawarra Steelers and then the St George Illawarra Dragons joint venture?

I'm looking in the SANFL 1990 annual
no Woodville or Torrens players list the other team as their previous club

torrens 1990 had 5 ex vfl
Mick edmonds collingwood
john harper essendon
shane mcgrath hawth
Gerald toohey , scott morphett geel

Woodville had 2 ex VFL
phil cronan Footscray
paul o'brien essendon

not a lot of recognizable names from this distance

Footy Times Annual 1992

1650179545083.png

Last edited:
Does anyone know the four flags which were on-field at the MCG today during the pre-game Anzac ceremony? I identified the Australian national flag, the New Zealand national flag, the Aboriginal flag: what was the remaining one?

Seeing it is a public holiday Monday today - its jolted my memory a bit

The query is - how many times after a game has finished - has the official scoreboard and thus score been amended to change the result

It was either 1968 or 1970 Rich ( reigning premier and a powerhouse ) were playing Haw ( ok but about 6th to 8th ) on a public holiday Monday at the MCG . Iwas only a kid but listening to the game on the car radio - Harry Bietzel was calling it - and it was a very exciting last qtr - and the game ended in a draw - so that was it - it was a draw - players shook hands and left the ground - and spectators similarly

The 2 goal umpires back in the day - they after the game finished would walk to the centre of the ground - to compare scores - they were the rules in place

And they said to each other - the scoreboard no good - Richmond should have an extra behind - so they contacted whoever - and the official scores were changed and the Tigers won by a point

Seeing it is a public holiday Monday today - its jolted my memory a bit

The query is - how many times after a game has finished - has the official scoreboard and thus score been amended to change the result

It was either 1968 or 1970 Rich ( reigning premier and a powerhouse ) were playing Haw ( ok but about 6th to 8th ) on a public holiday Monday at the MCG . Iwas only a kid but listening to the game on the car radio - Harry Bietzel was calling it - and it was a very exciting last qtr - and the game ended in a draw - so that was it - it was a draw - players shook hands and left the ground - and spectators similarly

The 2 goal umpires back in the day - they after the game finished would walk to the centre of the ground - to compare scores - they were the rules in place

And they said to each other - the scoreboard no good - Richmond should have an extra behind - so they contacted whoever - and the official scores were changed and the Tigers won by a point
Happened on Monday 10 June 1968, as per front page of The Age 11 June:

...and the match report on the sporting pages:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back