Side by Side with Reykjavik - RIP (re-read Rey's message to us all #108, pg 5)

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Old Spice started a thread a while back inviting people to list their professions. Can't remember the title or I'd post the link but did he not say he started off in science?

That's sounds like what he studied but then he might have been in business analysis or some such occupation.

Hello. I'm a friend of Rey's, and wanted to drop by to thank you all for your really kind words and support.

It has been a real tough few months with his health. I know how much it frustrated him not being able to do as much as he wanted, but he always enjoyed it here right to the end and loved checking out what people were saying about all things Collingwood. Curiosity and a real love of engaging with people were always part of him that I saw from when I first knew him and part of how he tackled his illness was in not giving up on the things that were part of him.

It's kind of strange for me here because when I think of him being a Collingwood supporter is only a small part of the guy I knew. He was one of these people who always has new depths you didn't realize. There are a lot of people in a lot of different places who are feeling this bad. It seems that he has helped folks here over time and that isn't a surprise, that was what he did. I can say that from experience, as a foster kid he helped a lot and who got into uni largely from his tutoring when I never thought I could do it. Even when he was pretty sick he was still volunteering at several places, and he cared about stuff and would just get on and do something when it needed to be done.

I will make sure his wife sees this thread in time and all your thoughts, but it might be a bit of time before she is able to do it.

Hello. I'm a friend of Rey's, and wanted to drop by to thank you all for your really kind words and support.

It has been a real tough few months with his health. I know how much it frustrated him not being able to do as much as he wanted, but he always enjoyed it here right to the end and loved checking out what people were saying about all things Collingwood. Curiosity and a real love of engaging with people were always part of him that I saw from when I first knew him and part of how he tackled his illness was in not giving up on the things that were part of him.

It's kind of strange for me here because when I think of him being a Collingwood supporter is only a small part of the guy I knew. He was one of these people who always has new depths you didn't realize. There are a lot of people in a lot of different places who are feeling this bad. It seems that he has helped folks here over time and that isn't a surprise, that was what he did. I can say that from experience, as a foster kid he helped a lot and who got into uni largely from his tutoring when I never thought I could do it. Even when he was pretty sick he was still volunteering at several places, and he cared about stuff and would just get on and do something when it needed to be done.

I will make sure his wife sees this thread in time and all your thoughts, but it might be a bit of time before she is able to do it.
Thanks for sharing mate, the more we hear about Reyk, the more it becomes apparent he was not just an amazing wordsmith on our forum, but a pretty amazing guy in general. If anyone else has stories about Reykjavik I'm sure we'd all love to hear them.

Thank-you for providing this insight. As you can see he was very well liked here for his wit and wicked sense of humour. I can only imagine how bad you and others who knew him in the 'real world' must be feeling. His passing has certainly left a hole on this board.

Welcome McCrabblett and know that you are always welcome here.

Reykjavik left a lasting impression on so many people within here and from your kind words above it seems in every aspect of his life. He will be missed around the boards but make sure you, his family and friends know that he will never be forgotten here. He encouraged so many posters in here to follow their aspirations and was always happy to provide guidance to others.

Please if we can help in anyway let us know.

Thoughts from the BigFooty Collingwood Community go out to his wife, family, friends and collegues for their sad loss.

RIP Reykjavic

How many of us can say we truly left a mark on this earth when our time is up?
We already knew the contribution he made to this board, and by extension his beloved Collingwood.
But thanks to his close friends we are hearing about his deeds in the real world.
Sounds like a hell of a guy.
RIP Rey.
You certainly left this world a better place because of the way you lived your precious life.

I feel awful that this is the first time I've seen this thread, I had no idea what he was going through. I just had a family member suffer a severe stroke today, that and this really hits home how precious life is, so often in our busy lives we take things for granted without realising how lucky we are.

I'll really miss his contributions on here, I thought he was a top bloke and a quality poster.

R.I.P

RIP Mate..

I've never been the religious type but it's people like this i truly hope there is a heaven.

Yours would be one of the first names called!

Vale.

Rey has his BigFooty location set to "The devil's personal coke roadie"

I'm like you, I don't know if there is a heaven or a hell, but I'd be sure that Rey is wherever the good times are.

How many of us can say we truly left a mark on this earth when our time is up?
We already knew the contribution he made to this board, and by extension his beloved Collingwood.
But thanks to his close friends we are hearing about his deeds in the real world.
Sounds like a hell of a guy.
RIP Rey.
You certainly left this world a better place because of the way you lived your precious life.

Well said.

Well I always struggle with what can possibly be said at such an impossibly sad time. Bigfooty will be poorer without Reykjavik's wit and intelligence. I have decided to draw on Rey's own wisdom and words. When words were not enough to express his thoughts or feelings he always knew the exact right photo, meme or gif to post that would. His collection of images must have been epic.
--------------------
Reykjavik's Law 15th September, 2014
Having watched the board in recent times, I have come to a stunning conclusion.

We now have a new law of internet discussion to add to Godwin's Law and Poe's Law. It reads as follows.

"As any discussion thread on the Collingwood Bigfooty board grows longer, the probability of it coming down to a Malthouse versus Buckley slapfest approaches 1. That is, sooner or later, any Collingwood topic, if discussed long enough, becomes another opportunity to rehash the comparison of MM and Buckley and the thread will be effectively derailed."

In infinite modesty, which depending on your affiliation you can liken either to Mick or Bucks, I have named it Reykjavik's law.

I await internet immortality. Or someone proving me wrong. Both are equally desirable as far as I'm concerned.

-----------------------

Well I am not sure about internet immortality, but Reykjavik has certainly achieved Collingwood Bigfooty Immortality. And in keeping with Reykjavik's Law there is only one way I can express how I am feeling:
447663-3f05e5c4-ee0f-11e4-a82d-68ff75e6542c.jpg

But I have a feeling Reykjavik would have much prefered this one:
591048-mick-malthouse_zps0cdb108c.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't believe I am only seeing this thread now.

RIP

His post #108 is truly beautiful.

Lesson to us all. It doesn't have to just be about winning flags...it's about been part of a community and a family.

I love being a Collingwood supporter.

Thanks for reminding us all why

I only just discovered that Reykjavik passed away but his post absolutely resonated with me and I'm sure everyone feels the same the way! A great Collingwood supporter but most importantly a great person according to those who knew him personally and from the posts I've read of his from BigFooty.

I didn't know him personally and even though I don't frequently post on BigFooty I always enjoyed reading his posts! His insights and general wit were always highlights of mine when I've been online here.

Condolences to his family and friends in this sad time and to McCrabblett thanks for sharing your insights on Rey and the type of person he was. The Collingwood board won't be the same without him but most importantly his legacy will live on with everyone here and to those closest to him.

Unfortunately personal issues have prevented me from being here much lately and I have been away in Queensland so I missed this terribly sad news. Like many of us I did not know Reykjavik personally but have read many of his insights over time. He truly was a great wit and a dyed in the wool magpie fan. I have no idea what to say really except to echo the words of so many others here when I say that this place will be so much the poorer for his passing. I am not a religious man but for whatever it means, my prayers are with him. To his family I can only say that our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with you at this incredibly difficult time. At least know that he was very highly regarded here and his memory will be honoured here for a very long time. Despite what a small thing that may seem, I can only hope that the knowledge of the esteem in which he was held provides you with some tiny source of solace.

Rest In Peace Rey. I will from now be picturing you and Didaka sitting front and centre in the best seats of the granstand in the sky urging on your beloved Pies. May they soon do you proud!

:cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Extremely sad to learn this terrible news. It really does make you sit back and ponder everything that is going on in your life, the people you call friends, your family, your very own children and wife. It does for me anyway.

Life is far too short, always! Especially for beautiful and inspiring people like Reykjavik. Tell people you love them and how much you love them any chance you get. Go that extra mile to help out a family member, friend, work colleague or even a complete stranger. Give as much as you can into life and those around you, make the world a better place.

RIP Reykjavik

I received the following message from lukem today

I’m so sorry to hear of his passing. Please know that the thoughts and best wishes of all at the club are with Reykjavik and his loved ones. Very sad news; clearly one of the most passionate Magpies you could ever come across.

Logged in today after a break for a light read only to be hit by this tragic news, read #108 & found it difficult to post for some time.

Sincere condolences to Rey's family, friends and loved ones.

As for Reykjavik I'm sure he would be truly grateful for the love and respect afforded by his BF family as the 300+ posts reflect the affection for the man.

Post 108 shows the measure of the man, his passion for the club, players and his BF family.

What I find incredibly uplifting about his post is that not once was he bitter nor did he seek pity. Instead he spoke about the many positives and gave thanks and praise for what he was blessed to be apart off and witness.

A life taken far to short but lived to the fullest.

A Class act till the end RIP Our BF friend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back