Review SHOWDOWN 55

Remove this Banner Ad

I always record the game and take a second look. I do not think I cannot be bothered watching that s**t again. They must be masochists at Alberton as they have put up 6 minutes and 2 seconds of highlights from the Showdown, I suspect that the 2 seconds features the Port highlights.

Two goals in three quarters of football says it all. We have a dysfunctional forward line which is not helped by an equally dysfunctional game plan that relies too much on bombing the ball in high and hoping someone will get on the end of it.

Last night showed how much we rely on Aliir and that Esava is no substitute. I am still gobsmacked that Finlayson could not make that side. Finlayson is a fix it player, a bit like Justin Westhoff was, as he can play up front, down back and take a turn in ruck. We would not have won even with Finlayson but he would have given us more options and we might have made a contest. Finlayson kicked four goals for the Port Magpies in a 41 point loss.

Thinking about the game, it looks like to me there are players playing out there who don’t believe in the game plan - we rely on individuals to win games, we don’t look like a cohesive team at all.

Everyone can see it, and the lasts few years it’s felt like that yet last night it really showed.

How long does Koch need? Ken is a dead set goner, he’s cooked, he won’t be coaching us to anything, so grow up and be a man and clip him, there is ‘zero’ point to Ken Hinkley being from this point on.

That was the limpest team I’ve seen in a while. I’m sure he’s lost half the players.

Welcome to the world of Janus, never actually having a true opinion or conviction in his opinion, and just justifying what he/she wants to justify about the club/teams direction, with whatever pointless confirmation bias and stats can complement it.

That is the best summation I've read for a while.

Don't youse judge Ken on these results in May, judge him in August, it's a hard competition AFL footy. He's been around a long time and seen lots of things and we just got to continue to work and get better, it's as simple as that. We just need to get better around the contest and continue to improve and want to get better.

Thinking about the game, it looks like to me there are players playing out there who don’t believe in the game plan - we rely on individuals to win games, we don’t look like a cohesive team at all.

I haven't watched the Showdown replay yet but I have noticed it since the Collingwood game.

The fire has gone.

I've just finished reading the comments and the fire has gone.

Koch never had the fire.
Kenny had the fire for a bit but lost it about 7 or 8 years ago.
The players have now officially lost the fire.
The true Port supporters have lost the fire depending from 7 to 8 years ago to recently.
The mainstream AFL media was allowed to lose the fire for Port after the Collingwood game.
It looks like the Happy Clappers have lost the fire.

Hell is freezing over.

I can't wait to watch the game to see what is going on but I have a sneaking suspicion it will be a rerun.

Terrible. That was horrible , I thought we’d come out after half time and right the ship but we came out with a toy gun I steadof a rifle in the third . Dumbly players all over te park , even Drew lost his ouch .
Very disappointed with that garbage

A lot is being made of our goal kicking and inaccuracy. But to me it felt like a lot of our points were essentially rushed / pressured behinds or misses from beyond 50 or long range. So I’m much more critical on the way we set up forward and entered our forward line than the kick on goal. They found targets all night uncontested near the goal square. We had a heavily congested forward line with six forwards who got into poor position to mark or win the ball and were beaten by their opponents.

It's absolutely this. When you take your shots from quick kicks out of congestion or leads to the boundary, they are low-percentage shots.

There is a lot for which to criticise Marshall, Dixon and Georgiades but the system does nothing for them. They set up behind their opponents so often, it has to be an instruction. If it is, it is based on the players up the field streaming through the centre with little pressure. When you get an opponent that fills those spaces in the corridor, we are left with rushed kicks by players who have opponents sweating or hanging off them. And yet, there is no flexibility in the system to allow the forwards to change things up.

The players may be simple but the structure is moronic.

Terrible. That was horrible , I thought we’d come out after half time and right the ship but we came out with a toy gun I steadof a rifle in the third . Dumbly players all over te park , even Drew lost his ouch .
Very disappointed with that garbage
We feel the scoreboard pressure, we always do. It gives me supreme confidence in those scenarios we are gone. I mean when was the last time we came back from 5 goals down? Let alone in a half or quarter and a bit.

We feel the crowd pressure, the pressure of the moment, the scoreboard pressure, the oppositions referred pressure, etc. we're a very mentally weak team.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A lot is being made of our goal kicking and inaccuracy. But to me it felt like a lot of our points were essentially rushed / pressured behinds or misses from beyond 50 or long range. So I’m much more critical on the way we set up forward and entered our forward line than the kick on goal. They found targets all night uncontested near the goal square. We had a heavily congested forward line with six forwards who got into poor position to mark or win the ball and were beaten by their opponents.

Agree re lots of rushed points.

The best bit is the link I posted of Chadbro having a crack at the supporters for having an issue with the way Jed plays.

Didn’t Dixon have a crack at the supporters too.

Talk is cheap Chadbro, you are failing at every level, you don’t realise yet but your mate Kenny is dragging you all down with him.

We really do miss Robbie Gray. How many times would his individual acts paper over the huge deficiencies in everything we do?

There were still a lot we should have kicked. Goal kicking was undoubtedly the defining factor, but that would also be glossing over the absolute s**t show we watched game plan wise. I mean McEntee kicks that sitter in the last and we're what 2 goals down suddenly, with half a quarter left where the ball lived in our end.

It's as much the one that got away as the Melbourne game, the problem is we're losing for more reasons than just inaccuracy, but that'll be all the coaches actually admit.

It's absolutely this. When you take your shots from quick kicks out of congestion or leads to the boundary, they are low-percentage shots.

There is a lot for which to criticise Marshall, Dixon and Georgiades but the system does nothing for them. They set up behind their opponents so often, it has to be an instruction. If it is, it is based on the players up the field streaming through the centre with little pressure. When you get an opponent that fills those spaces in the corridor, we are left with rushed kicks by players who have opponents sweating or hanging off them. And yet, there is no flexibility in the system to allow the forwards to change things up.

The players may be simple but the structure is moronic.
Agree, but the forwards need to adjust immediately to the nature of the game. How many times did Worrell, Butts, Keane and Michelanney lead their opponents by plenty of distance to the drop of the rushed kick. There was one in particular on the wing where we had a high kick from HB that Worrell sprinted to and marked on his chest 5 m ahead of Marshall. How does a forward let that happen so often? What is he waiting for?

There were still a lot we should have kicked. Goal kicking was undoubtedly the defining factor, but that would also be glossing over the absolute s**t show we watched game plan wise. I mean McEntee kicks that sitter in the last and we're what 2 goals down suddenly, with half a quarter left where the ball lived in our end.

It's as much the one that got away as the Melbourne game, the problem is we're losing for more reasons than just inaccuracy, but that'll be all the coaches actually admit.
It didn’t feel or look to me that we played a game style last night that had more than 8 goals in it. Maybe Burgoyne, McEntee and one of Georgiades or Marshall kick the set shots they missed, maybe we get a couple of the snaps that JHF, Rozee, Boak and DBJ sent wide. But that never looked like a goal scoring game plan or system irrespective of accuracy.

Agree, but the forwards need to adjust immediately to the nature of the game. How many times did Worrell, Butts, Keane and Michelanney lead their opponents by plenty of distance to the drop of the rushed kick. There was one in particular on the wing where we had a high kick from HB that Worrell sprinted to and marked on his chest 5 m ahead of Marshall. How does a forward let that happen so often? What is he waiting for?

Yep. Totally agree. I also think that comes back to the coach. I find it hard to believe that all six forwards can't adapt to what is clear without some other force exercising itself on them. They only know dysfunction.

There is no doubt the forwards need to take more initiative. I just wonder how much they believe they are allowed to do so. The only forward who shows any signs that he can change things up is Rioli.

I don’t really know how to review that game. Played out exactly as everyone thought it would and has many times before.

There were massive alarm bells in the preseason when we rolled with such a high press despite having recruited to ‘fix’ shortcomings on the list. 8 rounds in nothing has changed. Every team knows how to beat us.

Anyone who still pay one dollar to this club for any reason should be ashamed of themselves.
This. And yet we somehow have over 50,000 members and next week 40,000 odd people will shuffle into Adelaide Oval to sit there with their arms folded offering up their money, time and legitimacy to this toxic, corrupt organisation instead of staying away and holding them accountable like they should.

To which I'm led to conclude that we're just getting exactly what we deserve.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back