Review SHOWDOWN 55

Remove this Banner Ad

In a tipping comp with family. Spoke with dad not long before kick off.

“Not sure about this one dad. We aren’t good in big games.”

“Doesn’t matter mate, can’t let the crows gang know we don’t believe even if they do win.”

I stuck fat and tipped port. Not out of thinking we would win but out of respect for my dad and didn’t want to leave him on his own.

But what happened to that attitude with our club? My dad is 72, he’s been through the wringer with health issues and he’s still more passionate than anyone running our club.

I hope when this regime is gone we can find that passion/aggression/ mongrel my dad and older folk of Port are familiar with and I hear about. I’m too young to have experienced it and it’s seeming like a myth to me.

We’re stuck in no mans land waiting for a bunch of stubborn blokes who run our club to do what should have been years ago.
What’s so frustrating is that there is no end in sight.
And the changes won't be the right one. Nothing against Josh Carr personally, I was keen on him last year. But he's going into this job starting behind the 8-ball. We need a new coach, new assistants, new fitness and medical staff and a new direction. I can't say I'm keen for what's to come as it will be the same idiots running it.

Carr is going to need an extremely successful caretaker period if he's to be selected, surely. I hope even then he doesn't, but if it's a done deal Kochie will have ****ed the club for over 20 years.
It isn't even out yet.

Sorry to intrude, and not starting anything you blokes don't know, but faark me that was a train wreck.

Everyone knew Rozee shouldn't play, but Ken "win at all costs" Hinkley thought otherwise.

Basically, sounds like he convinced the docs that the damage down on the scan wasn't bad, and said that by playing, Rozee hasn't made it worse.

But, then in the next breath, he says that he will get another scan to see how much further damage there is and won't play next week.
The part of that makes his 'apology' worthless is he has played injured players on countless occasions. The club threw the club doctor under the bus last year with Aliir and Jones. I've never believed for one second Hinkley had no part in those two playing through obvious concussion.

He took underdone players into the finals last year. He paid the price. Hinkley claimed he learnt from that. Obviously he hadn't cause he risked Rozee tonight and guess what paid the same price again for it. His press conference yesterday gave it away where he mumbled his way through it. In the history of dumb quotes by coaches the one from him yesterday when asked about Rozee's fitness where he said "we're taking a normal risk" says it all. It's either a risk to play Rozee or it isn't. It can't be a "normal" risk. Everyone knew Rozee shouldn't have played tonight but he played him anyway. His bullshit apology at the press conference isn't worth anything. It's typical of him attempting to defuse any media storm before it starts.

He plays his favourites and has no faith in any players ranked 23-38 on his list. A list that he has claimed is the best he's ever had. Case in point is Rozee tonight and he plays McEntee every week. McEntee tries hard but offers very little as a competent AFL quality small forward. But he is one of Hinkley's favourites so he plays. You can add a lot of other players to that list also.

Hinkley is the ultimate snake oil salesmen. What he says is obviously rubbish but no one in the media besides David King calls him out on it. As a coach he relies on individual brilliance rather than a system where each player is a cog in the machine. If a player is unavailable the next one should know what is expected. They may lack the quality of the better player but they should know their role. Geelong typifies this, Port Adelaide under Hinkley does not. They never have since 2013.

Tonight's performance on a big stage isn't a surprise. It is the sum of Hinkley's coaching career. Same with the losses to Melbourne and Collingwood this season. We've won 5 games we are always going to win. We've lost the three that were under the brightest lights against teams that could exploit our weaknesses.

The biggest surprise to me is people are angry about the defeat. It was obvious all week we were going to lose cause Hinkley can't handle the heat. His weakness flows down to his playing group and they play accordingly. It's nothing if not consistent.

But I'm only disillusioned white noise and Port Adelaide are better off without my support according to their own words and public sentiment.

I've been out of the loop for a little bit (living in the states), but I was up at 3am watching that tripe. What is the consensus on Lachie Jones? He looks like he should be dropped to me. Get DBJ back in defence ffs.

It would also be nice if the midfield tried handballing to each other to find space instead of just hack kicking all game. But I'm assuming that is Hinkley's master plan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had to work last night and I've come to this. Holy Moly.

I've just read the first page of this thread and usually the first couple of pages is vitriolic but it was filled with hopelessness and joylessness.

Remember the players don't care. They love the father figure and pay check. Our administration makes decisions on satisfying their own personal ego's. Another normal week at Port. Why everyone surprised and thinking this will translate to change? Laughable
They simply know that the system doesn't work so its pointless.

Even for the most naive, it was put beyond any shadow of doubt vs GWS last year.

Sorry to intrude, and not starting anything you blokes don't know, but faark me that was a train wreck.

Everyone knew Rozee shouldn't play, but Ken "win at all costs" Hinkley thought otherwise.

Basically, sounds like he convinced the docs that the damage down on the scan wasn't bad, and said that by playing, Rozee hasn't made it worse.

But, then in the next breath, he says that he will get another scan to see how much further damage there is and won't play next week.
Every man, woman and dog new Rozee shouldnt be playing. Fans were pretty accepting that a showdown win isn’t more important than his long term health.

He was under no pressure to play him. His arrogance to risk him is more infuriating than the loss itself.

Just got to wonder to yourself what Hinkley was really expecting from Rozee. A 5 goal 30 disposal performance from a hamstring probably now falling off the bone and turning a maybe 2 week injury at worst to a 3-4 and even worst. You just know the club will beat it up and list it as a 2 when he will be on the sideline for way longer.

Remember the players don't care. They love the father figure and pay check. Our administration makes decisions on satisfying their own personal ego's. Another normal week at Port. Why everyone surprised and thinking this will translate to change? Laughable
That’s it, todays modern footballers don’t really hurt after a show like that.
We should have been up easily at qtr time but kick 3-7.
After that even having more inside 50s and winning the contested ball we still go down like a dogs dinner.
You kick 2-14 after qtr time and it’s impossible to win.
Even if we kicked 8-8 we would have won.
What do you do with players that can’t kick goals ?
Book was his normal rubbish but even the younger players missed easy goals.
It’s not a one off thing even when we win the goal kicking is trash.
These are grown men not 4 year olds learning to kick a footy, poor kicking is for life and you can’t change that.
We are poorly coached with a team of poorly skilled players when it comes to goal kicking.
We have some very good individual players around the ground but NOBODY that can kick a footy 40 out from goals.
5-18 they need lining up and shot.

A lot is being made of our goal kicking and inaccuracy. But to me it felt like a lot of our points were essentially rushed / pressured behinds or misses from beyond 50 or long range. So I’m much more critical on the way we set up forward and entered our forward line than the kick on goal. They found targets all night uncontested near the goal square. We had a heavily congested forward line with six forwards who got into poor position to mark or win the ball and were beaten by their opponents.

Ken Hinkley: “I made a mistake playing Connor Rozee tonight. I’m not a coward when it comes to owning a mistake and that is what it was.”

Yes you are Ken. A coward is exactly what you are. But you'll just keep trying to hang on til the bitter end, instead of manning up and walking. Coward.

Ha

Coward is probably the nicest thing you can say about this guy.

Thief, fraud, dishonest, liar, inept, all fit comfortably in describing Ken and many more that are way harsher too.

You've broken a proud club and then trampled on it all for your own personal ego and bank account.

No redeeming qualities to speak of unless, of course, he employs you as nobody else will. That's his 1 wood.

Last edited:
Ha

Coward is probably the nicest thing you can say about this guy.

Thief, fraud, dishonest, liar, inept, all fit comfortably in describing Ken and many more that are way harsher too.

You've broken a proud club and then trampled on it all for your own personal ego and bank account.

No redeeming qualities to speak of unless, of course, he employs you as nobody else. That's his 1 wood.

Hey he may be a thief, a fraud, dishonest, a liar and inept, but he is NOT a communist

Remove this Banner Ad

Back