CHUCKY4

Senior List
Aug 5, 2007
Thurgoona
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Balldale Magpies
After reading today's paper and the events of the last 6 months is it time that the Saints made the move to the O and K?:confused: They dont have the population of the big centre's, nor the financial resources as the heavyweights in the competition and when they have spent up big are on the brink of collapse a year or two afterward. This has been the trend up there for the past 20 years, while they have only won flag (1970) in their 60 odd years in the O and M. Daylesford had to make a similar move from the Ballarat league to a smaller District comp and have been far more successful since. Maybe its a worthwhile option for the Saints consider.:)

Yeah I agree - the club doesn't have a future in the O and M. The only way it can hope to be successful in such a strong comp is to bring in good players, and there is just no income at the club to allow it to do that. Some handy footballers do come out of Myrtleford, but there is very little to keep them in the town, particularly when they receive offers from elsewhere or want to go off to uni.
If the Saints went to the O an K they could easily be competing with the likes of Tarra, Whorouly and Bright within a year, people would actually go to the games and they would start making money again. I see it as a win-win situation. I mean, what is there to gain by going out and getting belted each week and losing money because the bar isn't running a profit and the gate is quiet?
If Myrt manages to field a side in the O and M this season it will get done by 300 points at least once - seriously - and around 200 points every other week.
Yet the hierarchy won't even consider a move to the O and K...

Sounds like they have too much pride to admit they aren't up to being in the O and M anymore. I wouldn't be overly rapt to be a club member having to shell out money for their $80,000 debt when it was rumoured they spent more than 200k for each season that Hoggy was coach:rolleyes: If they went O and K they would only need a budget of around 50 or 60k to make them premiership contenders.:thumbsu:

Sounds like they have too much pride to admit they aren't up to being in the O and M anymore. I wouldn't be overly rapt to be a club member having to shell out money for their $80,000 debt when it was rumoured they spent more than 200k for each season that Hoggy was coach:rolleyes: If they went O and K they would only need a budget of around 50 or 60k to make them premiership contenders.:thumbsu:

U blokes cant be serious,stay in the best comp in Country Victoria or go in to a comp that hardly anyone outside of this area have heard of.
The first thing that would happen would be the few good players that are left at the club will depart.
The Afl continually bail out clubs that r under pressure to survive so why dont hte O + M sit down with the Saints and work out a contingency plan.
Im sure the people behind the scenes,including the coaching staff are busting thier balls to keep the club going in the O + M.
What would you be saying if it was a Lavvy,Nth Alb,or even a Wodonga that fell in to this situation,"why dont they join the Tallangatta or the Hume League",that willl never happen but,take away a major source of income from any small town and i think u will see the same effect.

On a different note I would like to offer my condolences to all at The Saints on the passing of Mick Dinneen,a true champion.

The deviate is spot on. Those behind the scenes are busting their balls trying to get this club back up and running. To miss on 60 odd recruits is pretty tough in this climate, but when you don't have enough numbers to field 2 teams it must be sole destroying, but the club is very resolute and will fight to end to not only survive but to stay in one of the top country leagues.

It's been mentioned plenty of times but all it will take will be one or two prominent players to either return or sign on and the others will follow.

You hope with all the coverage and emotional pleas they get some players and can part take "competitively" in 09.

After reading today's paper and the events of the last 6 months is it time that the Saints made the move to the O and K?:confused: They dont have the population of the big centre's, nor the financial resources as the heavyweights in the competition and when they have spent up big are on the brink of collapse a year or two afterward. This has been the trend up there for the past 20 years, while they have only won flag (1970) in their 60 odd years in the O and M. Daylesford had to make a similar move from the Ballarat league to a smaller District comp and have been far more successful since. Maybe its a worthwhile option for the Saints consider.:)

Very difficult to attract players to the area in winter and there are many similarities between them and Daylesford who had been in the Ballarat league for years-Located away from the main centre,cold and a small town battling bigger centres. They could form bigger rivalries against the closer towns such as Bright

Who are the blokes Myrtleford are supposed to be signing this weekend?
Unless they are guns, I'm afraid the club is wasting its time playing in the O and M this year.
They were terrible last year and I feel sorry for the 21 players they send into battle this year, particularly against the top five clubs, who could easily smack them by 200 points plus.
Who wins then? Not the the opposition clubs who have to fork out match payments to senior players when their twos could beat probably beat the current Myrtleford side and the poor old Saints get floggimg after flogging and go further into the mire.

Any consideration here for the current o&k clubs? 50-60k would put them a long way in front of all clubs at present and with their track record they would pay more than that (wether they could afford it or not) in desperation to get a flag. To me we could have a situation like in one of the Gipsland leagues were a more major club has come back to a district league causing all sorts of conflict. They basically got themselves into this situation so i think the league and club should work through it and take responsability and not handball it to be sorted out by others.

[/B]

Any consideration here for the current o&k clubs? 50-60k would put them a long way in front of all clubs at present and with their track record they would pay more than that (wether they could afford it or not) in desperation to get a flag. To me we could have a situation like in one of the Gipsland leagues were a more major club has come back to a district league causing all sorts of conflict. They basically got themselves into this situation so i think the league and club should work through it and take responsability and not handball it to be sorted out by others.

Don't like agreeing with you too often Virge :D but you're right. I think they are also suffering from the too many clubs not enough locals syndrome. As you know the locals are like the tide between Bright and Myrt with Whorouly the terrier snapping at their heels. Certainly one less club up on the hill would solve the no's problem between the 3 clubs. If they were to come to the O&K
imagine the ShiteFight between the 3 clubs for players. You would have 3 clubs trying to outbid each other.... Time for the VCFL to step up to the mark,not.

Corporate lingo and me don't mix.
But there really needs to be a strategic approach to the situation in the Ovens Valley.
The people who are involved in football up there, administrators, supporters, players, volunteers, juniors, need to have input.
1. They need to leave their vested interests at home for a night and ask themselves, firstly, whether they want a team in a major league from Myrtleford, Bright, Whorouly.
2. If the answer is yes support the bloody thing in whatever form they decide, Myrtleford as a single entity or Alpine Eagles composite.
3. If the answer is no, Myrtleford slides back to the O and K and dominates in two or three years time.
4. Why don't players want to play for Myrtleford when they are happy to go to Wang (Steer), North Albury (Jones), Raiders (Martyn).
Get me drift.

After reading today's Border Mail can anyone tell me what Bright has to benefit from a so called merger? How many games are going to be played in Bright? What happens to all of their senior players who are (a) Not good enough, (b) Aren't committed (c) To old to be playing in the O and M?:confused: The Eagles concept is good in that if you can't get game in the O and M team you drop back to the O and K yet benefit from better coaching and player development. How would they structure a senior side that way?:confused::confused::confused:

After reading today's Border Mail can anyone tell me what Bright has to benefit from a so called merger? How many games are going to be played in Bright? What happens to all of their senior players who are (a) Not good enough, (b) Aren't committed (c) To old to be playing in the O and M?:confused: The Eagles concept is good in that if you can't get game in the O and M team you drop back to the O and K yet benefit from better coaching and player development. How would they structure a senior side that way?:confused::confused::confused:
Well with the Alpine Eagles set up in the thirds the O&M side play there home games at Myrtleford and the O&K side play all of there home games at Bright, i expect if there was a senior merger there would probably be an Alpine Eagles reserves and seniors both in the O&M and the O&K and there would have to be some kind of agreement where some O&M games are played in Bright

Myrtleford's time in the O and M is over and there is nothing wrong with admitting that long term the club isn't viable in the comp. They shouldn't worry about the O and M and focus on looking after their own backyard and playing as Myrtleford FC and representing their town.:)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Myrtleford's time in the O and M is over and there is nothing wrong with admitting that long term the club isn't viable in the comp. They shouldn't worry about the O and M and focus on looking after their own backyard and playing as Myrtleford FC and representing their town.:)
Mate have you had a look at the juniors coming through....

Most of the thirds are bottom age

Any names or where they are from?

Disappointing for them to miss out on Brad Murray. Not sure of the link to Echuca though.
Its actually not confirmed they have signed those blokes i have found in the last week, they are from Tassie

They have a shitload of people that they are talking to and 10 - 15 are 50/50 with 4 or 5 almost certainly signed

Pre-Season is starting tonight, so looks like they are into to early.
Looks like a different recruiting campaign this year, looking outside the square as such to say, wouldn't expect any massive salaries. The board seems to have been quite active and things may finally be looking better in the hills.

Good to see most of the Alpine top age players from this year continueing on at the club

Pre-Season is starting tonight, so looks like they are into to early.
Looks like a different recruiting campaign this year, looking outside the square as such to say, wouldn't expect any massive salaries. The board seems to have been quite active and things may finally be looking better in the hills.

Good to see most of the Alpine top age players from this year continueing on at the club
Do you play for Myrtleford or Bright?

Just asking you dont have to answer if you dont want to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back