Mega Thread Senior Coach Discussion - Neeld v the alternatives

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No to Neeld as an assistant from me. The next bloke to come in needs to be in charge, clearly. If Neeld is still around I doubt he'd take kindly to being usurped by someone else. He may be a good assistant, but I'm not sure it'd work out that well for us is terms of leadership/unity in the footy department.
I would give Neeld a minimum of a month off as a caretaker takes charge, and then we look for a full time replacement.

Anyone actually think he will go at tomorrow nights board meeting? And I don't mean you WANT him to go, but you think he really WILL go.

"Hey Neeld, we're dumping you as senior coach, but want to remain as an assistant?"

Sounds awfully similar to...

"Hey girlfriend, i'm dumping you, but we can still be friends?"

It just won't work.

Would be more like getting dumped by the girlfriend but being offered front row seats to watch as she gets plowed by the new guy.

Maybe it's the pressure of being head coach thats getting to him.
Perhaps he would be better as a assistant under say a Clarkson or Craig.
Sht after this years performances he should be happy to have a job. Finish the year out (either way we're paying him for it) then put him as assistant coach possibly on the same coin (which we would have to pay him anyway if he was sacked)

Anyone actually think he will go at tomorrow nights board meeting? And I don't mean you WANT him to go, but you think he really WILL go.
No i don't he will go. The performance wasn't that bad, the third quarter was enough to save his career for another week at least

Is he going tomorrow? 50/50 chance. IMO he's gone, it's just a matter of whether it's this week or next. Most likely comes down to when and if they have a viable succession plan in place by tomorrow.

The only other option I can think of is if the club goes out to find a 'mentor' for him, and/or some new assistants to work under him. I just think he has lost the players though (mind you, it seems easy to 'lose' some of the players on our list).

Was tough being at the game today. Expected, but still tough. There's no confidence in so many of these players. And no desperation.

"Hey Neeld, we're dumping you as senior coach, but want to remain as an assistant?"

Sounds awfully similar to...

"Hey girlfriend, i'm dumping you, but we can still be friends?"

It just won't work.
Neeld expected Moloney, Rivers, Green and Davey to be professional after dumping them from the leadership group, if he thinks others can do it then surely he could.

I doubt he'll be sacked, but then I never saw Bailey getting sacked after 186.

Would love to see him given a period of time where all he has to cope with is coaching, however I fear it is merely a matter of when not if.
Would not surprise greatly to see them pull the trigger but whatever happens don't expect the players to suddenly play with the urgency required to be competitive.
This group has the blood of two coaches on their hands already, anyone willing to bet against a third?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mark This.
Welcome Mr Mark Williams as the new Melbourne Football Club Senior Coach.

Is this from Rory Taggert's old man big fella?

Impressive how the media has turned a scheduled board meeting into a hanging , maybe next match they should have a thumbs up or down from the fans to decide if we feed Neeld to the lions or not(if he makes it to QB .)

With respect, i posted this in a thread on the crows board and thought i might raise it here also, hope you dont mind the intrusion.

I dont see roos, matthews, malthouse, clarkson and thompson working together being able to get a good performance out of that list this year.

i dont see why so many are so hard on neeld. he got handed a rebuild of a rebuild at the worst possible time to be rebuilding a poor list. he's made some hard decisions that imo cant be judged on immediate outcome.

If you look at the stats there were some positives today. There is a foundation of a good list there but they need games and they need support. The list is going to be better next year whether neeld is coaching or not, so sacking him at the expected low after making tough decisions that are going to hurt in the short term seems really unfair to me.

Impressive how the media has turned a scheduled board meeting into a hanging , maybe next match they should have a thumbs up or down from the fans to decide if we feed Neeld to the lions or not(if he makes it to QB .)

a0Ynrgv.jpg

"Are you not entertained?!"

i dont see why so many are so hard on neeld. he got handed a rebuild of a rebuild at the worst possible time to be rebuilding a poor list. he's made some hard decisions that imo cant be judged on immediate outcome.

For two reasons

1. He chose to rebuild the list and radically change our game plan, rather than actually build on what had been a pretty decent couple of years before 186.
  2. We lose games by 15 goals 75% of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back