Where will the West Coast Eagles finish in 2023

• 1 - 4

• 5 - 8

• 9 - 12

• 12 - 16

• Bottom 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nope the point is, when Hurn and Shuey retire in 2023, that cap space that would be normally filled by those blokes, will be given to other players

Money & losing players arent a current problem imho.
The flag effect/keeping premiership players was a bigger concern for 2022.

Last edited:
well if theres any positive about Hurn and Shuey retiring, is that their money in 2024 will be given to the younger eagles players to try and retain them....

gonna go a bit off topic here. I dislike the current salary cap minimum being 95%. there is very little wriggle room. Back in the 1990s, the salary cap floor was 90%. From 2001 to until 2010ish, the salary floor was 92.5%. a couple of years ago, the salary cap was 13 million. If the Salary floor was 90% that means 1.3 million between the mimimum cap and maximum cap. 1.3 million is a lot of wriggle room to move around.
Is there still the option to 'bank' your salary cap by underspending? I remember reading you could use 105% of your cap provided you underspent in previous years.

Last year we played players unfit so of course the injuries are going to mount up. It seems we have started our preseason unfit again as the injuries are starting to mount up again. lets hope the injuries are due to extra training as the whole team need to up there fitness 20-30% before we start the season.

Last year we played players unfit so of course the injuries are going to mount up. It seems we have started our preseason unfit again as the injuries are starting to mount up again. lets hope the injuries are due to extra training as the whole team need to up there fitness 20-30% before we start the season.
How have you come to the conclusion that we started our preseason unfit?

And what are the injuries that are starting to mount up again?

I wonder if any of our 2018 guys will stick around for a shot at dual premiership status?

Banners the last one?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cole 28/5/97
Duggan 11/12/96
Ryan 2/10/96

Our three youngest premiership players and therefore the best chance of being dual premiership players

Banfield was 32 when we won in 2006 so we’d need to winning one by 2029 on that basis

If we get the rebuild right we should be well and truly challenging by then

Of course we have started the preseason unfit......thats why we have a preseason....to get fit for the season.
There is many types of fitness as in, aerobic fitness, running and all that stuff.
grappling fitness, when two players are wrestling for posession, contact fitness, bumps etc.
There will be light injury's in the preseason as players work into their bodies.

Cole 28/5/97
Duggan 11/12/96
Ryan 2/10/96

Our three youngest premiership players and therefore the best chance of being dual premiership players

Banfield was 32 when we won in 2006 so we’d need to winning one by 2029 on that basis

If we get the rebuild right we should be well and truly challenging by then

Winning a premiership on an odd year

Clint Eastwood Coffee GIF

Any player knows that if you are not full on and totally committed to preseason/training/the contest/mentally switched on then the injuries come! We have the hunger back and that is halfway to cutting out the injury plague.They don’t wallow in their misery coz now there are two or three blokes who want their pozzie. Hunger and depth go hand in hand.Let’s just hope Simmo has learnt his lesson.Tough love mate!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Half the punters have predicted finishing 12-16th place, which is quite reasonable given our previous situation and unknown game plan changes at this stage.
As the season draws closer, with the glimpses we've had of young inductees, fit players and training drills, the bullish positive supporter in me thinks we could finish 9-12th.
The irrational blue and gold-blooded dreamer wants to finish 8th.
Yet I fully understand the value of blooding our new players with game time, a steady long term development, fitness base, and building a strong sustainable platform going forward as a key priority, rather than overshooting too soon - with some more good draft picks while we have the rare chance.
So 12-16th is likely. Would be surprised if we finished lower. But long term that could be a good thang too?

Last edited:
Half the punters have predicted finishing 12-16th place, which is quite reasonable given our previous situation and unknown game plan changes at this stage.
As the season draws closer, with the glimpses we've had of young inductees, fit players and training drills, the bullish positive supporter in me thinks we could finish 9-12th.
The irrational blue and gold-blooded dreamer wants to finish 8th.
Yet I fully understand the value of blooding our new players with game time, a steady long term development, fitness base, and building a strong sustainable platform going forward as a key priority, rather than overshooting too soon - with some more good draft picks while we have the rare chance.
So 12-16th is likely. Would actually be surprised if we finished lower. But long term that could be a good thang too?
Recency bias is a very strong bias that affects everybody. People unconsciously extrapolate the recent past and expect the near future to be an exact mirror image of it. Thats why the Premier from the previous year is almost always the flag favourite for the following year even though a closer look at history tells you that back to back flags very rarely happen.

I am expecting us to finish bottom 4 this year and i have tried to question whether i am just expecting that due to last year and recency bias. But i just look at how thin that midfield of ours is and think that on a good day we might outpoint North or Hawthorn in terms of midfield output, but unless the other sides are injury depleted i just don't see us even being able to achieve even a stalemate in the midfield with any other club, let alone win the midfield battle. And so how are we going to win enough games to get out of the bottom 4 if that is the case.

Recency bias is a very strong bias that affects everybody. People unconsciously extrapolate the recent past and expect the near future to be an exact mirror image of it. Thats why the Premier from the previous year is almost always the flag favourite for the following year even though a closer look at history tells you that back to back flags very rarely happen.

I am expecting us to finish bottom 4 this year and i have tried to question whether i am just expecting that due to last year and recency bias. But i just look at how thin that midfield of ours is and think that on a good day we might outpoint North or Hawthorn in terms of midfield output, but unless the other sides are injury depleted i just don't see us even being able to achieve even a stalemate in the midfield with any other club, let alone win the midfield battle. And so how are we going to win enough games to get out of the bottom 4 if that is the case.
Hmm, good theory.
Maybe you're mistaken...time will tell?

Last edited:

A fit Naitanui makes up for practically any midfield weakness

Seeing the list after the '12-13 expected changes for round 1' highlights how disrupted last season was. I think we can finish 8-12. I just think it would be at least one season premature. Trial some new ideas, get some games into the kids, enjoy Hurn's last lap and bank another couple top 5 draft picks.

Regarding the midfield. Ours was the injury depleted one with Nic Nat, Sheed and Yeo out for all or most of the season and Gaff clearly restricted.

A midfield of NN Yo Kelly and Sheed? I’d back them against anybody! Staying fit is the problem! If one of the kids hits his straps early then look out!

A midfield of NN Yo Kelly and Sheed? I’d back them against anybody! Staying fit is the problem! If one of the kids hits his straps early then look out!
NicNat Yeo Kelly and Sheed - now that quartet must have the lowest endurance of any starting CBA.

We need to get these 4 fit, robust and then hope they can stay on the park and drive the full quarter efforts.

Not impossible but not likely based on the last 4 years.

Back