Where will the West Coast Eagles finish in 2023

• 1 - 4

• 5 - 8

• 9 - 12

• 12 - 16

• Bottom 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

New Years resolution was don’t bet on the Derbys this year.

2nd January update, already getting 3 ctns when we win the 1st Derby.

Prediction = we are winning the 1st Derby and finishing 8th!
giphy.gif

Worked in 2014.

Definitely didn't work last year though.
there is a history of sides finishing 9th one year and finals the next.

1994: Tigers got 9th in 1994 and made a Prelim the next season in 1995.

1999: Hawks got 9th, finished 8th in 2000 and beat the 5th placed cats in an elim final.

2000: Tigers got 9th, made a prelim in 2001.

2001: Collingwood got 9th. Made a grand final in 2002 and 2003 then dropped in 2004.

2005: Bulldogs finished 9th and made finals, 8th spot and beat collingwood in an elim final in 2006

2007: Saints finished 9th in 2007 then a prelim in 2008.

2009: Hawks finished 9th in 2009, finished 7th and lost an elim final to the dockers in 2010

2011: North were 9th in 2011, finshed 8th in 2012 and was belted by west coast in an elim final.

2014: Eagles made 9th in 2014 and grand final the next year in 2015.

2017: Melbourne finished 9th in 2017, won 2 finals and made a prelim in 2018

2020: Demons finished 9th in 2020, they win the flag in 2021.

As for Carlton, they finished 9th in 2022. With the squad they have and the fixture they got, they should make finals in 2023.

Again, I only say 9th is the worst spot to finish as you dont have an early pick.

The concern is the season after this, possibly losing 3 or 4 experienced players in one shot. Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Gaff. A lot of talent still there. We could benefit from a top pick if McGovern doesn't sign a new deal/isn't offered one.

there is a history of sides finishing 9th one year and finals the next.

1994: Tigers got 9th in 1994 and made a Prelim the next season in 1995.

1999: Hawks got 9th, finished 8th in 2000 and beat the 5th placed cats in an elim final.

2000: Tigers got 9th, made a prelim in 2001.

2001: Collingwood got 9th. Made a grand final in 2002 and 2003 then dropped in 2004.

2005: Bulldogs finished 9th and made finals, 8th spot and beat collingwood in an elim final in 2006

2007: Saints finished 9th in 2007 then a prelim in 2008.

2009: Hawks finished 9th in 2009, finished 7th and lost an elim final to the dockers in 2010

2011: North were 9th in 2011, finshed 8th in 2012 and was belted by west coast in an elim final.

2014: Eagles made 9th in 2014 and grand final the next year in 2015.

2017: Melbourne finished 9th in 2017, won 2 finals and made a prelim in 2018

2020: Demons finished 9th in 2020, they win the flag in 2021.

As for Carlton, they finished 9th in 2022. With the squad they have and the fixture they got, they should make finals in 2023.

Again, I only say 9th is the worst spot to finish as you dont have an early pick.
Finishing 9th with a declining list is where it hurts. This was us in 2021. Very different to 2014 when we finished 9th with a young list on the up.

JD played the first 6 weeks of the season with a cracked rib. His 2022 isn't looking the bad when you factor that in and the fact we only averaged about 40 inside 50s a game. I think he has a few more good years left in him yet.

Makes me wonder what other injuries players were carrying. Guess that's the downside when a big injury crisis hits, there's no option to rest anyone else. I would love to know what issue Gaff was hobbling through.

its not about the under 27s.....

Its about the players aged 24 or under Eagles need to focus on.

Agree. There are only five players between the two age brackets anyway - TB (26 at Rd1), Ryan (26), Duggan (26), Cole (25) and Clark (25).

(NB: not considering SPS 25 or Rotham 25 as to me they're, at best, depth. Same for Petro 23 and Witherden 24. Almost 300 games between them and still haven't nailed down spots. Can't see any point in wasting more games on them.)

Of the 11 who are 27 or over I'd reckon if they average about 2/3s of a season each then that gives 1. a good mix of youth and experience, as well as, 2. providing plenty of games for 'the fringe'.

I can't imagine there'd be anyone suggesting we're gonna be anywhere near to contending in 2023 so it is a perfect opportunity to really find out who is/isn't worth persevering with. Then with more retirees and delistings at the end of 2023 plus some more draftees then we start 2024 with a fully revitalised list.

The concern is the season after this, possibly losing 3 or 4 experienced players in one shot. Shuey, Hurn, McGovern, Gaff. A lot of talent still there. We could benefit from a top pick if McGovern doesn't sign a new deal/isn't offered one.
well if theres any positive about Hurn and Shuey retiring, is that their money in 2024 will be given to the younger eagles players to try and retain them....

gonna go a bit off topic here. I dislike the current salary cap minimum being 95%. there is very little wriggle room. Back in the 1990s, the salary cap floor was 90%. From 2001 to until 2010ish, the salary floor was 92.5%. a couple of years ago, the salary cap was 13 million. If the Salary floor was 90% that means 1.3 million between the mimimum cap and maximum cap. 1.3 million is a lot of wriggle room to move around.

Finishing 9th with a declining list is where it hurts. This was us in 2021. Very different to 2014 when we finished 9th with a young list on the up.
Agreed, finishing 9th with a declining list or ageing list hurts.

Only way you could accept a 9th or 10th placed finish is that you have a young squad. Or you have an experienced squad but had a few key players missing in the end of the season.

teams narrowly miss out on finals and get 9th or 10th or 11th due to these factors.

-losing one or 2 narrow games too many at anytime of the season. which results on missing out on finals a win short or pecentage short or both.

- Injuries at the worst possible time at the end of the season. There has been teams that narrowly miss out on finals because one of their main forwards or goal scoring mids is injured in the last 3-5 games of the season. It sucks having 3- or 4 players out of your best 22 injured.

Gaff is already borderline best 22. Hurn and Shuey will likely decline this year so that they wont be massive losses by the end of the season. All 3 should be replaceable and we still have senior players in the team. Gov will be a big loss if he goes though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And poor JD was being lambasted from pillar to post for being unfit and the rest of it, and all the while he was playing with a broken rib. Man, that's a herculan effort. Hats off to him.
I have had a broken rib, and rebroken it several times, so I know the pain. Can barely move at times.
Hats 🎩 off to Jack.

well if theres any positive about Hurn and Shuey retiring, is that their money in 2024 will be given to the younger eagles players to try and retain them....

gonna go a bit off topic here. I dislike the current salary cap minimum being 95%. there is very little wriggle room. Back in the 1990s, the salary cap floor was 90%. From 2001 to until 2010ish, the salary floor was 92.5%. a couple of years ago, the salary cap was 13 million. If the Salary floor was 90% that means 1.3 million between the mimimum cap and maximum cap. 1.3 million is a lot of wriggle room to move around.
Totally agree with the cap being a load of garage at 95%.
It limits clubs rebuilds more than anything. How can a club that consistently finishes in the bottom part of the ladder being paying pretty much the same as the premier…….
Players want free trade well clubs should be able to be more flexible with the salary cap.
How can Nth with there efforts over the last handful of years be paying pretty much the same amount of money out in wages as Geelong?

And poor JD was being lambasted from pillar to post for being unfit and the rest of it, and all the while he was playing with a broken rib. Man, that's a herculan effort. Hats off to him.
I have had a broken rib, and rebroken it several times, so I know the pain. Can barely move at times.
Hats 🎩 off to Jack.
I had a broken rib and struggled to sit up in bed or take a deep breath.

It's why we all should hold back on the slack talk cause we never know what duress these players are going through - often know nothing until the season ends, and even then, maybe not at all.
Another thing that grinds my gears is the labelling of a player as a spud. Everyone out there gives 110% of what he's got. Unless they do stupid shit off the field, we should respect each and every one of them.
That's my rant for the day.
Happy New Year to y'all. 💙💛

JD played the first 6 weeks of the season with a cracked rib. His 2022 isn't looking the bad when you factor that in and the fact we only averaged about 40 inside 50s a game. I think he has a few more good years left in him yet.

Makes me wonder what other injuries players were carrying. Guess that's the downside when a big injury crisis hits, there's no option to rest anyone else. I would love to know what issue Gaff was hobbling through.

It's why we all should hold back on the slack talk cause we never know what duress these players are going through - often know nothing until the season ends, and even then, maybe not at all.
Another thing that grinds my gears is the labelling of a player as a spud. Everyone out there gives 110% of what he's got. Unless they do stupid s**t off the field, we should respect each and every one of them.
That's my rant for the day.
Happy New Year to y'all. 💙💛

I think it’s been underestimated just how badly we were impacted in the first half of the season by covid and injury. It’s becoming evident that players were being put out there when they weren’t fully fit simply because there were no alternatives

And that those problems continued through the year because once fitness was lost it couldn’t be recovered mid season

Not sure how it translates into 2023 but I get a sense of resolve from the club to prove people wrong

Totally agree with the cap being a load of garage at 95%.
It limits clubs rebuilds more than anything. How can a club that consistently finishes in the bottom part of the ladder being paying pretty much the same as the premier…….
Players want free trade well clubs should be able to be more flexible with the salary cap.
How can Nth with there efforts over the last handful of years be paying pretty much the same amount of money out in wages as Geelong?
I could of said the same thing about 2012-13 where the Demons under mark neeld were garbage yet were at the full salary cap just like the top sides of that era in Swans , hawks and cats

Are you suggesting the old blokes are getting the same money as they were when they signed their last multi season contracts ?

I think it’s been underestimated just how badly we were impacted in the first half of the season by covid and injury. It’s becoming evident that players were being put out there when they weren’t fully fit simply because there were no alternatives

And that those problems continued through the year because once fitness was lost it couldn’t be recovered mid season

Not sure how it translates into 2023 but I get a sense of resolve from the club to prove people wrong
Kane Cornes doesn't like your post!

Back