Season 2015..

Remove this Banner Ad

begs the question do the powers that be listen to small leagues and there concerns which I know are genuine. Or is it about getting there own way and bullying any league that dares decide to keep out of it??
Are they truly trying to sustain COMMUNITY clubs like those in Picola and Hume or as I suspect look after the major league clubs as a priority??
Our small club supporters are passionate about sustaining our family based clubs what a shame they just refuse to negotiate just dictate.

But without the change doesn't the Hume League have a massive recruiting advantage? They can recruit from other league's without having any real impact on their points system but then are protected going out the other way. I find the whole "community club" argument pretty interesting. I mean really how many players at senior level in the Hume League are actually in that community? It seems like the Hume League are trying to sustain clubs that the population can't support.

I thought the O&M actually tried to get a 4th grade of footy a few years back but it was knocked on the head by the VCFL because of the impact it would have on other established leagues. Hardly seems like looking after major leagues is necessarily the priority. I think looking after footy on the overall wider scale is and should be the priority and that will probably upset all league's individual interests to some degree.

But without the change doesn't the Hume League have a massive recruiting advantage? They can recruit from other league's without having any real impact on their points system but then are protected going out the other way. I find the whole "community club" argument pretty interesting. I mean really how many players at senior level in the Hume League are actually in that community? It seems like the Hume League are trying to sustain clubs that the population can't support.

I thought the O&M actually tried to get a 4th grade of footy a few years back but it was knocked on the head by the VCFL because of the impact it would have on other established leagues. Hardly seems like looking after major leagues is necessarily the priority. I think looking after footy on the overall wider scale is and should be the priority and that will probably upset all league's individual interests to some degree.

The role of a community club is about providing the social interaction of families. It's not just about senior football for our clubs. You are right we have to buy in but I can only speak for picola league majority clubs have a very good percentage of their own.
The strong clubs are strong because they have good junior structure. the points system won't help small clubs who are there for the benefit of its local community and out of necessity at times have to buy in. I'm also concerned about juniors and ours being poached a lot earlier and impact that has on clubs and families.
im worried if major league clubs are limited in what outside higher ranked players they can get then they will have to recruit from lower ranked leagues for numbers.
I'm also suggesting they did not have the detail available in a timeframe for proper analysis to be done. Devil is in the detail.

The role of a community club is about providing the social interaction of families. It's not just about senior football for our clubs. You are right we have to buy in but I can only speak for picola league majority clubs have a very good percentage of their own.
The strong clubs are strong because they have good junior structure. the points system won't help small clubs who are there for the benefit of its local community and out of necessity at times have to buy in. I'm also concerned about juniors and ours being poached a lot earlier and impact that has on clubs and families.
im worried if major league clubs are limited in what outside higher ranked players they can get then they will have to recruit from lower ranked leagues for numbers.
I'm also suggesting they did not have the detail available in a timeframe for proper analysis to be done. Devil is in the detail.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money spent. Across the board clubs are spending too much on players if that can be brought down across all leagues that's a good thing for everyone. Being able to recruit top line recruits is great but you have to come up with the cash from somewhere. It's sending clubs broke to keep doing this.

In reality I really think the whole state of footy in Victoria needs an overhaul. It would mean massive changes but let's start from the start. Work out what is sustainable in each area based on the current player numbers and work forward from there.

A lot of player shortage at O and M level must surely be attributed to the fact that a rapidly declining population in the district areas has forced country clubs to pay ridiculous amounts to average players in the O and M. Where once country clubs paid the coaches and half a dozen 'travellers' it's now the opposite with most district clubs running out with only 6-10 'locals' on a Saturday. CDHBU, Wahgunyah and Rutherglen are all proven examples. Maybe making all O and M reserves and all district teams play with 16 a side might help alleviate the player shortage.

A lot of player shortage at O and M level must surely be attributed to the fact that a rapidly declining population in the district areas has forced country clubs to pay ridiculous amounts to average players in the O and M. Where once country clubs paid the coaches and half a dozen 'travellers' it's now the opposite with most district clubs running out with only 6-10 'locals' on a Saturday. CDHBU, Wahgunyah and Rutherglen are all proven examples. Maybe making all O and M reserves and all district teams play with 16 a side might help alleviate the player shortage.

In the future do a bit more research before you make a statement mate, I'm speaking on behalf of CDHBU. 12 out of the 21 players who played in their last game of the season have played juniors at the club and 18 of the 21 are from the local area. Wahgunyah did have a few travellers the past two seasons, prior to that they have always had a very strong contingent of players who have come through the juniors and from the local area. And Rutherglen over the past five years would have had 90-95% of their senior side made up of locals . "Proven examples" ??

The points system was brought in originally for the benefit of football throughout victoria, where there were growing trends of a large number of players switching clubs playing for last years premiers making them stronger and creating a major divid in leagues as many smaller towns can't compete, with not many top liners taking on a challenge of lifting a struggling side. It was also brought into to stop large player movements from club to club, where a group of players go to one club and move on once the money has run out leaving the club in dire straits struggling to field a team after this occurs. Then you have the movement of more younger people moving from outlying smaller towns to melbourne or large regional centres for education or employment and staying there to play there football leaving these clubs having to pay overs to get guys to their club just to keep a town afloat.
What has actually occurred is no one has thought the system through properly or marked the points accordingly to where the majority of the population is located. If the points system is to work then melbourne clubs cant have the most points in the state. There needs to be limit on the amount of juniors taken from minor clubs by major clubs each year (I'd suggest 2)and limit the number of players from one club transferring to another club (2as well). To try and promote the younger better players, trying their hand with a major league, minor league players from the age of 21 to 25 should be worth only 1 point provided they stay in the major league club for a minimum of 2 years. Players in major leagues over 30 should be worth only 1 point as well if they transfer to a minor league. All clus should be allowed to sign a marquee player that is not within the points the system, but they need to stay a minimum 2 years, so that clubs can bring in players like Aker and fev into the league, and hopefully it stops ex afl players playing 1 off games everywhere.
ReAlly all metro clubs should have between 25 and 35 points, all regional cities with a major uni should have 35 points, regional cities of more than 10,000 should have 40 points, with the clubs located furtherest away with small populations the full 50 points. This would provide some equalisation and still would not stop the best players still getting paid but would create a more even field to recruit and hopefully equalise competitions, as people are sick of the alburys, deer parks, aberfeildies, strathfieldsaye, bridge water already having the premiership sewn up for 2016

In the future do a bit more research before you make a statement mate, I'm speaking on behalf of CDHBU. 12 out of the 21 players who played in their last game of the season have played juniors at the club and 18 of the 21 are from the local area. Wahgunyah did have a few travellers the past two seasons, prior to that they have always had a very strong contingent of players who have come through the juniors and from the local area. And Rutherglen over the past five years would have had 90-95% of their senior side made up of locals . "Proven examples" ??

Perfectly put. Maybe looking at ones own back yard and tidying it up before the finger gets pointed might work. I know cdhbu have a clever recruiting policy where former juniors and those connected to the club are given priority when recruiting. And to hear RutherGlen mentioned is amazing. They didn't have a coach until very late, things looked super grim and yet they played finals. Good on them.

At the end of the day it all comes down to money spent. Across the board clubs are spending too much on players if that can be brought down across all leagues that's a good thing for everyone. Being able to recruit top line recruits is great but you have to come up with the cash from somewhere. It's sending clubs broke to keep doing this.

In reality I really think the whole state of footy in Victoria needs an overhaul. It would mean massive changes but let's start from the start. Work out what is sustainable in each area based on the current player numbers and work forward from there.
Not just the money being spent to play, but also jobs provided, wages etc. How much would Joss contribute to Albury? Here is a multi million dollar business who employs a huge number of players directly and indirectly and can provide meaningful employment opportunities. Chris Hyde for example worked in parks in Tumut, he is now the OH&S manager, what sort of wage would he draw? Add all the high profile players who are employees such as O'Hara, Daly (an accountant but has immediate employment within the business) etc and then indirectly Mackie, Maher etc whose businesses work indirectly. If there were 15 players ranging from $40 k to $100 k, then feasibly $2 million could be "invested" in the business. Then you have vehicles, flights etc. Only a couple of clubs in the land can do this, the one's who dominate such as Deer Park and Albury. The influence they have on other businesses then mean they also support the club. In turn it allows the club to generate $200k minimum from GF function. How does a Corowa, Myrtleford or anyone ever catch up. The points system only allows them to recruit the same as the top clubs. If a player is deciding between an Albury and a lesser club, where would you go? It offers no realistic chance for clubs to compete. Not having a go at Albury, they are very lucky to have such a person within the club.

It's not an intended go at those district clubs in the area but a small town such as Corowa can't afford to lose 10-15 players of senior quality to other O and M and district clubs in such an area with a small population. Clubs like Mitta and Kiewa have between 15-25 players from either Wodonga or Raiders running around for them but those 2 O and M clubs have a city of 35,000 to draw senior/junior players from.

Or wrap up district clubs that don't have juniors. Live by the sword die by the sword I say. Has happened in other sports like cricket. Footy in ten years ... well let's just say be ready for change.

Or wrap up district clubs that don't have juniors. Live by the sword die by the sword I say. Has happened in other sports like cricket. Footy in ten years ... well let's just say be ready for change.

Get rid of all junior comps first. Wont happen as not part of the plan.

Not sure we need major leagues that don't have juniors cull them now. People don't want to be as serious about their footy these days so getting rid of leagues in the country that don't have history of producing juniors themselves seems easier thing to do first....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know they're not in the O&M, but Thurgoona seem to assembling a side that would push Corowa, Myrtleford and North. Doesn't feel right to me!
In terms of population base etc. Logically Thurgoona is a definate option for the O and M. Obviously their current list wouldnt be up to it not are the facilities but long term it is a very realistic option for the O and M.

I see Pratty has committed to move back after Easter to remain at the Bulldogs, could have been so easy for the league to lose another star. Tip of the cap to the Wodonga board for the hard work that would have been put into keeping him. Any other news from south of the Murray?

I see Pratty has committed to move back after Easter to remain at the Bulldogs, could have been so easy for the league to lose another star. Tip of the cap to the Wodonga board for the hard work that would have been put into keeping him. Any other news from south of the Murray?
I certainly wouldn't classify Pratt as a star. Had an outstanding year at Rovers, but sits behind the footy at the Dogs, looks to have put on weight there. Handy, but not a star. Mackie, Polo, Allen, Brain etc are stars. He wouldn't be in the best 15-20 mids in the comp IMO

How many of Thurgoona's side would be legitimate O& M players?

I'm looking way outside the square. But I'd wonder how the best Tallangatta & Hume league interleague teams would shape up in a season of O&M.
There are a lot of ex O&M players in both leagues & there is a lot of good talent that has been born & bred from their home towns.

I'd think they'd be more then competitive

I certainly wouldn't classify Pratt as a star. Had an outstanding year at Rovers, but sits behind the footy at the Dogs, looks to have put on weight there. Handy, but not a star. Mackie, Polo, Allen, Brain etc are stars. He wouldn't be in the best 15-20 mids in the comp IMO
His form leading up to inter league selection was up there with the best, only missed out due to not being in fevs buddy brigade. Struggled with injurys after that, when fit he is up there with Sieter as The Bulldogs most valuable player. If they lost him they would be in the group with Rovers and nth Alb who are going to battle it out for 7th and 8th

Could one or two of the Albury lovers/or haters, flick over to the GVFL forum momentarily and explain to the Advisor2 why exactly Kyabram's 2016 list (which looks bloody good for GV footy) would not blow wind up the backsides of Albury or top EDFL clubs? The bloke wants to have Paul Newman's child (if anatomically possible) I am a GV man but the bloke needs a reality check in relation to Albury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back