Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea who the two from GWS would be? I've heard the paddy rose one for awhile. Seriously how n is anyone meant to compete. It's quiet sad how bad it is getting at the sports ground. If you play in there thirds like you said I'd be getting out. What hope have they got of learning and playing a higher level.
As a matter of interest, how many of the Albury premiership team came through their juniors?

As a matter of interest, how many of the Albury premiership team came through their juniors?

I don't know with any great certainty who came through their juniors, but I know lots who didn't and I'm sure others can fill in the gaps.

S.O'Hailpin ✖️
B.O'Hara✖️
J.Mitchell ?
D.Polo✖️
L.Hampton✖️
A.Carey✖️
A.O'Hailpin✖️
L.Packer✖️
J.Mackie✖️
L.Daly✖️
D.Maher✖️
B.Carroll✖️
J.Carey ✖️
M.Thompson✖️
J.Robinson ?
W.Smith ✖️
T.Yates✖️
M.Munro ✔️
J.O'Connell✔️
C.Hyde ✖️
L.Wells ✖️

Last edited:
I don't know with any great certainty who came through their juniors, but I know lots who didn't and I'm sure others can fill in the gaps.

S.O'Hailpin ✖️
B.O'Hara✖️
J.Mitchell
D.Polo✖️
L.Hampton✖️
A.Carey✖️
A.O'Hailpin✖️
L.Packer
J.Mackie✖️
L.Daly✖️
D.Maher✖️
B.Carroll✖️
J.Carey ✖️
M.Thompson
J.Robinson
W.Smith ✖️
T.Yates
M.Munro ✔️
J.O'Connell
C.Hyde ✖️
L.Wells ✖️

John Mitchell played for Walwa and Scots School.
Michael Thompson came from Raiders.
Luke Packer came from Walbundrie

As long as they are happy there. They must be proud of the players they have playing who began with other clubs in the league like A Carey, J Carey, J Mackie, L Hampton & M Thompson. It's a shame Matt Shir wasn't fit for the Grand Final. Hopefully they can extricate more players who originate from the opposition like Luke Garland and Jarrah Maksymow. Hopefully they don't stop until they are 20 goals better than everyone else.

As long as they are happy there. They must be proud of the players they have playing who began with other clubs in the league like A Carey, J Carey, J Mackie, L Hampton & M Thompson. It's a shame Matt Shir wasn't fit for the Grand Final. Hopefully they can extricate more players who originate from the opposition like Luke Garland and Jarrah Maksymow. Hopefully they don't stop until they are 20 goals better than everyone else.

With offers to Maksymow before June 30 this year followed by recent offers to Ben Murphy from Raiders it's getting beyond a joke. Murphy is a good young player, but he would end up playing 2-5 games in their seniors to cover a few injuries, but then go on and help their reserves team which won this years flag by 158 points to win it again.

Perhaps supporters of opposition clubs should make a stand in 2015 and simply not go and watch their team when they play at the Albury Sportsground. Or for those who simply can't stay away, have a good feed before heading to the footy and pack your own drinks and nibbles for the day so you don't have to spend a cent while you're there.

With offers to Maksymow before June 30 this year followed by recent offers to Ben Murphy from Raiders it's getting beyond a joke. Murphy is a good young player, but he would end up playing 2-5 games in their seniors to cover a few injuries, but then go on and help their reserves team which won this years flag by 158 points to win it again.

Perhaps supporters of opposition clubs should make a stand in 2015 and simply not go and watch their team when they play at the Albury Sportsground. Or for those who simply can't stay away, have a good feed before heading to the footy and pack your own drinks and nibbles for the day so you don't have to spend a cent while you're there.

spot on. i must admit that i obtained a freeby this year to get into all albury home games for free. Not only did i not go to the sportsground once this year, but refused to offload the freeby to anyone else, stuff em. Was tempted to duck into training one thursday night after work to watch them run around the witches hats, just like their games really.
Good to see north resign a few, not that contracts mean much these days.
oh, and J. Robinson is a legitimate albury junior, but they are as rare as hens teeth.

Ugh

I like that suggestion. Good luck to Albury but if they are happy to recruit established players from opposition clubs show them your view by going to watch a good Hume League game instead of an Albury home game.

Here's Yarra's juniors (I think) from the GF side, they won't have the most in the league but they have a few:
- Ednie
- Bonat
- Leslie
- Cummins
- Seymour
- Schofield
- Hargreaves
- Symes
- Pritchard

Geez head16, did Brother Tim write that last post? A lot of hate towards Albury! But you also need to remember that Lavi have blown 3 very good opportunities to make the grand final in the last 4 years but couldn't get over the line (Drew Barnes might be on to something!) and you have neglected to mention that an Albury sponser paid for an oppositions coach to be here for 3 years, and the same sponser has paid for another oppositions water bill for the last 4-5 years. But yeah he is terrible foe the league and we should give Albury the chair and banish them from the league! Get over it, change the record and do something to help your club get over the line and stop whinging about Albury putting the line out off reach!

Maybe Wodonga should field 2 reserve sides and Albury 2's can step up to the senior grade:D Seriously though it's becoming a bit of a mockery if they are looking at pinching young players from other O and M clubs, wouldn't surprise me if they'd had a crack at Minogue and Cary from Nth Albury. No one goes to Albury games (especially if their charging at the gate by the end of the third quarter) and I don't think they would of sold too many raffle tickets at the prelim final.

Interesting choice of senior coach by the Bulldogs, are things that tight with money they had to appoint a coach (who maybe a very good one) from within the club that would have little in the way of connections to the major competitions out of the area? Wodonga's strength in the past was having a very good list of locals topped up by some very good imports but the local kids seem to be leaving the area more and more and aren't being replaced. I'm tipping a very lean season for Wodonga next year.

Geez head16, did Brother Tim write that last post? A lot of hate towards Albury! But you also need to remember that Lavi have blown 3 very good opportunities to make the grand final in the last 4 years but couldn't get over the line (Drew Barnes might be on to something!) and you have neglected to mention that an Albury sponser paid for an oppositions coach to be here for 3 years, and the same sponser has paid for another oppositions water bill for the last 4-5 years. But yeah he is terrible foe the league and we should give Albury the chair and banish them from the league! Get over it, change the record and do something to help your club get over the line and stop whinging about Albury putting the line out off reach!

I didn't mention all those things because they are irrelevant to the current conversation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

correct, just because joss helped out a few other teams over the time, doesn't give them the right to take the piss and go on a spending spree every year. But if the system allows it!

How long will it go on until something has to be put in place for some sort of equalisation or do you let them dominate for as long as they can

Honestly we can't control what Albury do and it is absolutely their business. We can do whatever we want to do though as well. I propose that everyone who has strong feelings about what they are doing to boycott the Albury home games. Head out and watch a Hume, Tallangatta, Upper Murray or O&K game instead.

Honestly we can't control what Albury do and it is absolutely their business. We can do whatever we want to do though as well. I propose that everyone who has strong feelings about what they are doing to boycott the Albury home games. Head out and watch a Hume, Tallangatta, Upper Murray or O&K game instead.

That wont do crap to albury footy club. You would be better off boycotting business in central and south albury. Their wealth isnt just Joss.
Wonder where the equalization talks were in the 70s and 80s when Rovers were dominating.

That wont do crap to albury footy club. You would be better off boycotting business in central and south albury. Their wealth isnt just Joss.
Wonder where the equalization talks were in the 70s and 80s when Rovers were dominating.
NOP, spot on...... Short memories appear here. Fact is Albury, Yarra, and Lavy to some extent, have set the standard in the running of a football club with blue print business plans that aim at achieving success, and when they achieve success on the field, the growth develops and attracts players to this club.
Even in the ressies, the Tigers in the off season lost 4 or 5 good players who couldn't get a regular game in the seniors, yet they have built their depth so much ( including developing the thirds players) , still resulted in the tigers ressies winning the flag also.
One has to give credit here to these 3 clubs, and one must realize its all about implanting a business plan, and a hell of lot of hard work by all concerned.
You have to admit, the quality of the Grand final and Prelim final games over the past few years has been exceptional.
FYI, I do not support any of these sides,, so my comments are coming from the neutral corner.
Also, I feel North Albury are on the right track now.... will make finals in 2015.

NOP, spot on...... Short memories appear here. Fact is Albury, Yarra, and Lavy to some extent, have set the standard in the running of a football club with blue print business plans that aim at achieving success, and when they achieve success on the field, the growth develops and attracts players to this club.
Even in the ressies, the Tigers in the off season lost 4 or 5 good players who couldn't get a regular game in the seniors, yet they have built their depth so much ( including developing the thirds players) , still resulted in the tigers ressies winning the flag also.
One has to give credit here to these 3 clubs, and one must realize its all about implanting a business plan, and a hell of lot of hard work by all concerned.
You have to admit, the quality of the Grand final and Prelim final games over the past few years has been exceptional.
FYI, I do not support any of these sides,, so my comments are coming from the neutral corner.
Also, I feel North Albury are on the right track now.... will make finals in 2015.
If we want to keep on with the idea that the OM is the best league then we need the bottom 7 to improve. Leave the top 3 alone and look for ways to drag the other 7 up. Seriously, the bottom 5 were awfully weak.

If we want to keep on with the idea that the OM is the best league then we need the bottom 7 to improve. Leave the top 3 alone and look for ways to drag the other 7 up. Seriously, the bottom 5 were awfully weak.

weak! compared to who? albury, yarra, lavi? north finished 6th or 7th, bottom 5, wouldn't have called them awfully weak, remove a few lapses in concentration in half a dozen games and they finish fourth easily, the two wodonga teams were woeful, that's a given, but myrtleford and wang had their moments, and the standard was set pretty high by the top 3.

weak! compared to who? albury, yarra, lavi? north finished 6th or 7th, bottom 5, wouldn't have called them awfully weak, remove a few lapses in concentration in half a dozen games and they finish fourth easily, the two wodonga teams were woeful, that's a given, but myrtleford and wang had their moments, and the standard was set pretty high by the top 3.
Sorry - bottom seven were about division 2 metropolitan or ammos - very young and few mature bodies

I totally agree you need to have plans and structures in place to build a strong club. Albury are know doubt a hard working club that do things the right way but they wouldn't be in this position if it wasn't for a certain man. Success breds success it all flows from there every body want to be there. they are throwing dead set ridicules coin at guys unproven at the level and paying overs just to get them. They are ruthless in the way they recruit because they have the resources to be ruthless. You don't think there are 9 other committees that work just as hard?there is having good backing and then there's just greed. It's getting out of control. They have brought themselves to were they are and if you can't see that your blind. They have a lot of support other than Joss I realize that but he gave them the shot in the arm they needed and now they are not going to be stopped. Honestly what do you reakon that firsts side would be worth on pure match payments? You reakon the great sides of the past spend like Albur have this year?Highly unlikely.

Any blokes in the know with what their clubs senior and seconds base payments are?

Yarra 2nds don't get paid any coin, instead they get their fees and membership for free, keep their footy jumper at the end of the year and get 2 beer tickets for home games. I think this is a good balance, IMO clubs shouldn't have to pay 2nds players and likewise the players shouldn't be out of pocket.

Yarra 2nds don't get paid any coin, instead they get their fees and membership for free, keep their footy jumper at the end of the year and get 2 beer tickets for home games. I think this is a good balance, IMO clubs shouldn't have to pay 2nds players and likewise the players shouldn't be out of pocket.
It's sad that we have to pay reserves players these days. Think of the work that goes into raising the money that goes to the players and then think about who is doing all the hard yards- volunteers and committee who all pay their memberships and spend money at the bar and canteen. Yet players even in the seconds expect that they shouldnt have to pay a membership. The sooner we have a cap or points system the sooner clubs will have to start being more responsible with their money. What has been the cost for yarra to compete and make the last 6 grand finals? 200-250 per season?!? Let's round it down to $1,000,000 over the last 6 years... Imagine what they could have done to their club rooms if they had invested half of that or even 25% of that into the changerooms spectator area. If half of the whispers are true they won't be spending much next year as they don't have the $ to cover this season. I hope thats not the case at it would be a shame to see them fall off like nth albury, wodonga, raiders, myrtle ford etc have over the last decade after their big spending years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back