Season 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

head16

Team Captain
Apr 15, 2008
LPO
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Once again it's time to leave last season behind us and start a new thread. Plenty to talk about already.

Yarra and Albury will once again be in the top few, I can't see that changing for a while.

Last years top 5 was Albury, yarra, Lavi, rovers and north.
I know its early but what are our predictions for movers into or out of the top 5.

I would think the top 3 will remain in the top 5 and strong possibility top 3. As for the others, there seems to be a lot of movement in and out, it's hard to gauge whether those coming in can cover losses. My guesses for other top 5 teams are Corowa and wodonga.

Heard on the weekend that Tigers Panthers and Raiders have made a big play for Adam Prior.
Why do the clubs on the border cannabilise each other so much.
Hoppers look like they could be a basket case if strong leadership doesn't happen. Any thoughts about the O/M maybe stepping in at Nth.

Heard on the weekend that Tigers Panthers and Raiders have made a big play for Adam Prior.
Why do the clubs on the border cannabilise each other so much.
Hoppers look like they could be a basket case if strong leadership doesn't happen. Any thoughts about the O/M maybe stepping in at Nth.
don't think things are quiet that bad for the O and m to step in.they may be going through a little rough patch but all they need is people in there to like u said be strong and lead the club.

If the major-sponsor-in-question has not paid then
1 Aker may be on a jobsearch?
2 Did Crawf get his $10k donation from his first major sponsor? Remember? cross the Nullabor bikeride?

Interesting to see the number of views this thread has had with only 4 comments!! There must be a lot of people reading this rubbish and not many contributors. Looking at past seasons it's a pretty consistent pattern.

2013 - 570 posts - 80,000 views
2012 - 544 posts - 116,000 views
2011 - 642 posts - 110,000 views

At a guess I'd reckon there'd be quite a number, if not all, of the coaches who jump on for a look once in a while. Those in the media obviously have a snoop, but it think we've got a few of them on here under aliases trying to find there next story. Most of all I think there's quite a few players out there who like to see if we are talking them.

Interesting to see the number of views this thread has had with only 4 comments!! There must be a lot of people reading this rubbish and not many contributors. Looking at past seasons it's a pretty consistent pattern.

2013 - 570 posts - 80,000 views
2012 - 544 posts - 116,000 views
2011 - 642 posts - 110,000 views

At a guess I'd reckon there'd be quite a number, if not all, of the coaches who jump on for a look once in a while. Those in the media obviously have a snoop, but it think we've got a few of them on here under aliases trying to find there next story. Most of all I think there's quite a few players out there who like to see if we are talking them.

I reckon you got that right

Doesn't prior always go to the highest bidder. That being said why would he stay at North where he may not get paid

Money has ruin the league and unless the powers to be pull their heads out of their arse's and do something about it within 3-5 years you might find in the near future a couple of sides might be running around in the Hume or Tallangatta League, maybe even sooner

There's no way to properly police a salary cap as clubs can always get sponsors to make payments

There will be a points system in place throughout Victoria that is country and metro by 2015:footy:
Most major league CEO'S are getting very vocal and are pushing hard for a blanket rule

Points system will not save country football,if it takes the form of previous efforts. In the case of a lot of small population based clubs just putting junior sides on the park is a battle. In the case of the North Central league just for one 3 clubs battle to put thirds sides on the ground(Wycheproof had six players last season). If you are penalised for having paid imported players and this restricts the ability to be competitive I believe a lot of clubs will fold. Having said this however I do believe that something has to be done about the dollars being paid(or demanded) or country footy is in strife anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Points system will not save country football,if it takes the form of previous efforts. In the case of a lot of small population based clubs just putting junior sides on the park is a battle. In the case of the North Central league just for one 3 clubs battle to put thirds sides on the ground(Wycheproof had six players last season). If you are penalised for having paid imported players and this restricts the ability to be competitive I believe a lot of clubs will fold. Having said this however I do believe that something has to be done about the dollars being paid(or demanded) or country footy is in strife anyway.

A points cap won't stop clubs having paid imported players. It will just mean that a club is limited to the amount of players with higher experience. For instance (and it is only an example) Yarrawonga may not have enough points to accommodate more than 2 players with senior AFL experience. That means that potentially 2 or 3 existing players may have to change clubs. This means the pool of those particular players spreads further and more clubs benefit from the profile those players would bring. It would also open up more spots for local juniors on the list which could help encourage kids to stay in the sport.

You may have missed my point,that being if you haven't got juniors coming through anyway you are still going to need 10or more imports to put your side on the park. While ex AFL players may flock To the O&M or other major leagues, smaller country clubs will struggle.

You may have missed my point,that being if you haven't got juniors coming through anyway you are still going to need 10or more imports to put your side on the park. While ex AFL players may flock To the O&M or other major leagues, smaller country clubs will struggle.

The sad fact is that the small country clubs are going to suffer because they do not have the population of years gone by,points systems salary caps and anything else we can come up with will not stop the drain of young kids moving on to other things there are now too many clubs struggling from year to year because that club has been around for 100 years there comes a time when it no longer viable to continue i would say there were clubs from 50 years ago that are no longer in existense because they no longer had the population to continue.
Farm districts that previously had say 10 families operating the land have now got two families and this is happening more and more.
Shoot me down if you wish but it is only going to get more difficult to keep everything at the status quo.

I do see your point and it's a good one. Clubs can still bring in players if they want. It's just that they can't exceed the points allocated per team.
All the comments probably prove is that while the points system may be the best there are still going to be some issues with Country Footy that it won't resolve.

Found today's stories on north Albury in the border mail interesting. It was refreshing to hear someone give some open and honest answers around what's happening at Bunton park at the moment. But I found it a bit odd that an article on a major sponsor who has no desire to join the committee or board, yet he was happy to reveal that the club still had debts of $80,000.
Could be just me... But I can't see stuff like that happening at any other club. Couldn't see a rep from Quadrant securities revealing the financial state of the Wodonga FC in the paper, or Peter Bowen telling everyone about the LPFNC financial matters. First of all I wouldn't think a major sponsor should know that info and secondly if anyone was going to tell the public about it I'd expect the president or a committee member would do it.

Found today's stories on north Albury in the border mail interesting. It was refreshing to hear someone give some open and honest answers around what's happening at Bunton park at the moment. But I found it a bit odd that an article on a major sponsor who has no desire to join the committee or board, yet he was happy to reveal that the club still had debts of $80,000.
Could be just me... But I can't see stuff like that happening at any other club. Couldn't see a rep from Quadrant securities revealing the financial state of the Wodonga FC in the paper, or Peter Bowen telling everyone about the LPFNC financial matters. First of all I wouldn't think a major sponsor should know that info and secondly if anyone was going to tell the public about it I'd expect the president or a committee member would do it.
I believe Spencer was on the news (didnt see it).

The sad fact is that the small country clubs are going to suffer because they do not have the population of years gone by,points systems salary caps and anything else we can come up with will not stop the drain of young kids moving on to other things there are now too many clubs struggling from year to year because that club has been around for 100 years there comes a time when it no longer viable to continue i would say there were clubs from 50 years ago that are no longer in existense because they no longer had the population to continue.
Farm districts that previously had say 10 families operating the land have now got two families and this is happening more and more.
Shoot me down if you wish but it is only going to get more difficult to keep everything at the status quo.

Agree with you.if you take a look at a leagues history over some 80 t0 90 years, every league has had clubs fold/merge/ etc..I mean it wasn't long ago that leagues such as Murray, Hume, Tallangatta, O&K, Picola,Benalla fl , and Kdfl, were comps with some 10 competing clubs.... now they are comps with some 14 plus clubs because of leagues folding etc etc.,What im getting at, is the point that its nothing new.... been going on for years.Thus points salary cap systems will not help the cause.
Must say, these minor league clubs,, where in many cases involve a village, not a township, are able to field first,second, third and fourth grade teams plus the netball teams is incredible.To raise the funds to enable the club to exist is unreal...
Grassroots footy in this area is a way of life and whilst there will be clubs come and go, the league will continue on. And you must admit, the above mentioned leagues are providing some great competion and fantastic finals games. And for example, I hear the Hume League grand final had some 5000 in attendance. Now that's unreal...
Let the status quo continue.....

Fair enough. Today's paper also!! 24 hours after the major sponsor.

http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/...it-for-pay-as-hoppers-debts-hit-130000/?cs=53

I agree, the article in paper regarding the major sponsor was crazy, what was he doing speaking about the club like that. And his promise of "wait til I win this court case against the government we are going to great things......" = your in trouble if you are waiting on that if you ask me!!

Latest bad news for North Albury is that one of their 3 (average) recruits has gone back to Burrumbuttock. A bloke called Kyle Morey or something, had a good year in Hume League, went to North Albury for this year and with all this rubbish going on has bailed out and back to Hume League. Can't blame him.

I am also informed they have sent out an email asking sponsors for this year to "pay up early if possible". Why would a sponsor want to do that?? Pay up to pay for last year and they end up in a worse position again, they will be lucky to field a side this year in my opinion. Huge trouble.

I agree, the article in paper regarding the major sponsor was crazy, what was he doing speaking about the club like that. And his promise of "wait til I win this court case against the government we are going to great things......" = your in trouble if you are waiting on that if you ask me!!

Latest bad news for North Albury is that one of their 3 (average) recruits has gone back to Burrumbuttock. A bloke called Kyle Morey or something, had a good year in Hume League, went to North Albury for this year and with all this rubbish going on has bailed out and back to Hume League. Can't blame him.

I am also informed they have sent out an email asking sponsors for this year to "pay up early if possible". Why would a sponsor want to do that?? Pay up to pay for last year and they end up in a worse position again, they will be lucky to field a side this year in my opinion. Huge trouble.

In all honesty if I was North Albury id be seriously considering a move or amalgamation with Thurgoona. That I believe is there only way of having a long term future in the o and m. May sound crazy but logically it makes sense. Thurgoona has a massive fast growing population. Wont be competing for juniors with lavi. Long term it makes sense. Because sooner or later there will come a case for thurgoona to join the o and m

In all honesty if I was North Albury id be seriously considering a move or amalgamation with Thurgoona. That I believe is there only way of having a long term future in the o and m. May sound crazy but logically it makes sense. Thurgoona has a massive fast growing population. Wont be competing for juniors with lavi. Long term it makes sense. Because sooner or later there will come a case for thurgoona to join the o and m

You must have a crystal ball NOP it could well be on the cards down the track and NTH are the team they will be looking at

Remove this Banner Ad

Back