Summer Sailing

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Anyone? Otherwise I’ll delete the thread. But Matt Wearn is looking likely.

Explainer.

In sailing, there are 10 races plus a "medal race".

The idea is to finish with the lowest score. A 1st = 1 point, a 2nd = 2 points etc.

You get to discard 1 result. So if you have a gear breakage or a blow out race (like Wearn had in Race 2) that's your discard.

The Medal Race is double points, but only the top 10 go through to it.

So 1st = 2 point, 10th = 20 points etc.

In 2016, Tom Burton of Australia went into the Medal Race on 61 points. 17, 8, 2, 10, 9, 14, 7, 2, 11, 4.

Tonci Stipanovic of Croatia went in on 57. 1, 5, 7, 12, 6, 7, 28, 9, 7, 3.

Stipanovic only had to ensure that Burton didn't beat him by more than 2 places. Stiopanovic done ****ed up at the start line trying to be a bit clever and Burton ended up taking the Gold with a 3rd place as against Stipanovic's 9th.

Last edited:
Leave it open as there will be more comments as it gets closer to the final races.

Watched a bit of sailing today, the 49ers. The Kiwi women had a big stack when they flipped their boat. Saw the finish of the men's race and the Irish and Poms were too good for the rest of the field.

Gonna try and watch some of the 470 class stuff. Any Aussie boat coached by the medal maker Victor Kovalenko is gonna be a chance. Matt Belcher and Will Ryan are tipped to medal. Belcher and Malcolm Page won in London and Belcher and Ryan got silver in Rio but won the last world champs in 2019.

These are the only two class I know a bit about as well and a little about the single handed Laser class. I think these are the only 3 classes our men and women have qualified boats in.

Last edited:

• Banned
No need to delete. Even if people don’t follow it’ll gain traction once the event is on.

Speaking of which...when does it start?
Well the Laser class is 6 races out of 10 in and the Aussie is placed second after a horror first day.

Women’s Laser she is but a kid and won’t medal but going ok.

49ers (they’re the relatively exciting looking boats) have had their first day. Girl’s sitting 11th. Men 7th. Too early to tell.

• Banned
Leave it open as there will be more comments as it gets closer to the final races.

Watched a bit of sailing today, the 49ers. The Kiwi women had a big stack when they flipped their boat. Saw the finish of the men's race and the Irish and Poms were too good for the rest of the field.

Gonna try and watch some of the 470 class stuff. Any Aussie boat coached by the medal maker Victor Kovalenko is gonna be a chance. Matt Belcher and Will Ryan are tipped to medal. Belcher and Matt Page won in London and Belcher and Ryan got silver in Rio but won the last world champs in 2019.

These are the only two class I know a bit about as well as a little about the single handed Laser class. I think these are the only 3 classes our men and women have qualified boats in.
Jake Lilley in the Finn is ok. He could medal but would need a good regatta.

Wearn in the Laser is our best chance. Kontides (Cyprus) who is sitting first plays for luck. It’s paid off for him so far. But he got very very lucky today when a race got abandoned when he was buried.

49ers (they’re the relatively exciting looking boats) have had their first day. Girl’s sitting 11th. Men 7th. Too early to tell.
The 49ers are low budget version of the 18 foot skiffs, which you see a lot of on Sydney Harbour. When I lived in Sydney I had a mate who did a bit of 18 foot skiff sailing so used to watch it either from the shore or occasionally in another mates boat.

Never did it myself but appreciated the speed of those things and my mate said its bloody hard work.

Gonna try and watch some of the 470 class stuff. Any Aussie boat coached by the medal maker Victor Kovalenko is gonna be a chance. Matt Belcher and Will Ryan are tipped to medal. Belcher and Malcolm Page won in London and Belcher and Ryan got silver in Rio but won the last world champs in 2019.

These are the only two class I know a bit about as well and a little about the single handed Laser class. I think these are the only 3 classes our men and women have qualified boats in.

Waterhouse and Darmanin start in the Nacra's today and should medal. Silver in Rio and have performed since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our women in the 470s stayed in contact with the leaders for much of the race.. got to fifth on the second last leg, then fourth which it maintained within site of the finish line. Then inexplicably they fell several boats behind at the finish? About 10th I'd say as they crossed the line.

Our women in the 470s stayed in contact with the leaders for much of the race.. got to fifth on the second last leg, then fourth which it maintained within site of the finish line. Then inexplicably they fell several boats behind at the finish? About 10th I'd say as they crossed the line.
I’ll check the tracker.

Tracker shows them finishing 7th but results say 11th. Must have been a penalty of some sort.

Sure it was the 470? They got 7 and 13 today. The 13 they were back all race.

Last edited:
At the moment watching the mixed sailing race, enjoying it.
Italy is doing well
2,11, and 4 is a good start to the regatta for the Australians. But it doesn’t look a competitive fleet in that the same sailors are at the top all the time. So the Italians look particularly strong so far.

Aussie boats are in strong podium spots in several classes after four days of sailing. From his first six races, Matt Wearn is a close second in the Laser class.. with four races to come. Mathew Belcher and Will Ryan have the lead in the 470 event with two races to sail while the Phillips brothers, Sam and Will, are third as they prepare for races five and six in the 49er class. We also have boats in the female 470 and Nacra 17 Foiling class today. Sailing action commences at 1.00pm AEST.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back